Author Topic: Mk 8 Golf  (Read 172408 times)

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
Re: Mk 8 Golf
« Reply #890 on: 08 July 2020, 18:03 »
Maybe fitting the ‘Swastika‘ style alloys as the standard offering is a deliberate tactic by VW to get owners to pay to upgrade to the better looking (IMO) optional 19” wheels.

Yeah, a bit like a form of vanity tax. You shell out more to end up with heavier wheels, worse ride quality, more expensive tyres and increased risk of kerbing.

I reckon the 18 inch Bergamo's look like they could be a decent happy medium for me in terms of cost, aesthetics, ride quality and ease of cleaning

The 19's do look tasty, but knowing VW they'll probably be preposterously expensive

I do wish that the obsession VW and other car manufacturers have with fitting diamond cut alloys to most of their performance models would come to an end though. IMO powder coated / painted wheels can look good on a performance car - e.g. Pretoria’s on Golf R and GTI Clubsport and Reifnitz on the GTI TCR - and the powder coated / painted finish is much more durable too if the car is used as a daily driver, especially during winter months.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #891 on: 08 July 2020, 18:24 »
Maybe fitting the ‘Swastika‘ style alloys as the standard offering is a deliberate tactic by VW to get owners to pay to upgrade to the better looking (IMO) optional 19” wheels.

Yeah, a bit like a form of vanity tax. You shell out more to end up with heavier wheels, worse ride quality, more expensive tyres and increased risk of kerbing.

I reckon the 18 inch Bergamo's look like they could be a decent happy medium for me in terms of cost, aesthetics, ride quality and ease of cleaning

The 19's do look tasty, but knowing VW they'll probably be preposterously expensive

I do wish that the obsession VW and other car manufacturers have with fitting diamond cut alloys to most of their performance models would come to an end though. IMO powder coated / painted wheels can look good on a performance car - e.g. Pretoria’s on Golf R and GTI Clubsport and Reifnitz on the GTI TCR - and the powder coated / painted finish is much more durable too if the car is used as a daily driver, especially during winter months.

Unfortunately VW has a worse obsession, and now seem fixated with swirly twirly fussy wheel patterns that look a bit rubbish in a plain finish. Wish they'd focus more on simple and elegant designs like the Pretoria or the Sebrings and Salvador's from the R Line range.
7.5 GTD

Offline Aidey

• Here all the time
« Reply #892 on: 09 July 2020, 13:26 »
Just got to have a walk around a Mk8 .... gutted as first impressions were that i did not like it at all :embarrassed: Not a Gti i know but the front end just doesnt look good, then the interior ......... such a change, not sure if i will be getting the Mk8 gti now  :sad:
Owner Mk8 ClubSport
Sold Mk8 Golf R....
Sold Gti DSG 2020 Performance Indium Grey .....
Gti Sold... ClubSport Edition 40 , ... Sold Aug 2018....

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #893 on: 09 July 2020, 13:46 »
Just got to have a walk around a Mk8 .... gutted as first impressions were that i did not like it at all :embarrassed: Not a Gti i know but the front end just doesnt look good, then the interior ......... such a change, not sure if i will be getting the Mk8 gti now  :sad:

Why not try and grab one of the last 7.5s?
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Aidey

• Here all the time
« Reply #894 on: 09 July 2020, 14:11 »
Thats what i will do i think ... Possibly a Tcr
Owner Mk8 ClubSport
Sold Mk8 Golf R....

Offline ar899

• Here all the time
« Reply #895 on: 09 July 2020, 16:00 »
With the end of the ICE in sight, the Mark 7.5 may well turn out to be the high water mark GTI. The external looks of the Mark 8 are growing on me but not the interior, by a long stretch. Maybe the GTI Mk 8 will be a step up in quality over the standard 8, but this touch screen malarkey is a step too far for me. Am already looking elsewhere.

Offline Aidey

• Here all the time
« Reply #896 on: 09 July 2020, 17:00 »
Yea its the Interior i could not get over, The main screen looked really small , even compared to my current car which is the polo gti+ ... Went to my friends mk7.5 R after seeing it and the screen was at least 40% larger.
Owner Mk8 ClubSport
Sold Mk8 Golf R....

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #897 on: 09 July 2020, 17:48 »
Golf 8 gets two 10 inch TFT screens.

Golf 7.5 gets 12.3 inch TFT active info display and 8 inch nav screen.

Polo gets 10.3 inch active info display and 8 inch nav screen.

Golf 7.5 active info display screen (IIRC) is lower resolution than the Polo screen. 
7.5 GTD

Offline Aidey

• Here all the time
« Reply #898 on: 09 July 2020, 17:51 »
Thats Interesting cheers , Maybe the piano black surround made them seem smaller ?
Owner Mk8 ClubSport
Sold Mk8 Golf R....

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #899 on: 09 July 2020, 18:04 »
Perhaps, as the Golf 8 AID has quite a large bezel. Admittedly it's not the best looking. On the plus side, you can have Nav maps on both screens in the 8, which was only possible in the 7.5 if you paid for Discover Pro. Golf 8 also gets wireless charging and wireless CarPlay  :smiley:
7.5 GTD