Author Topic: Mk 8 Golf  (Read 172350 times)

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
Re: Mk 8 Golf
« Reply #780 on: 04 March 2020, 12:47 »
With the 19" Rims it markedly improves but there is no getting past the ridiculous expanse of grill and them integrated lights - Do think the air vents (if well done) on the R will make a huge difference to the look.

The front fog lights are apparently optional, you don't have to have them.
7.5 GTD

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #781 on: 04 March 2020, 17:29 »
With the 19" Rims it markedly improves but there is no getting past the ridiculous expanse of grill and them integrated lights - Do think the air vents (if well done) on the R will make a huge difference to the look.

The front fog lights are apparently optional, you don't have to have them.

Fog lights were optional on the mk7 in some markets, UK spec might vary as the car’s spec will have to be high enough to compete in the UK market.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #782 on: 04 March 2020, 18:11 »
Fog lights were optional on the mk7 in some markets,

The fog lights on the Mk7.5 were "optional" in the UK on the first batch too  :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #783 on: 08 March 2020, 07:12 »
A few dealers have posted on twitter saying that they now have a Mk8 in their showrooms. Earlier than I thought.
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #784 on: 08 March 2020, 09:16 »
Peter Cooper VW have posted a short video of a RHD Mk8 in Style trim in their showroom, so it seems they're now out there;

https://youtu.be/4F0CQMbTNeE

On the subject of front fog lights, looks like no UK models launched so far get them at all. Not even as an option. The LED plus headlights (standard on Style trim, but not R Line) come with Poor Weather Lighting instead.
7.5 GTD

Offline Ian_C

• Not said much yet
« Reply #785 on: 08 March 2020, 21:57 »
Had a sit in a base model Mk8 at Lookers Blackpool yesterday. Interior is so much better than it looks in the pictures. Have to say I was quite impressed.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #786 on: 08 March 2020, 23:32 »
Had a sit in a base model Mk8 at Lookers Blackpool yesterday. Interior is so much better than it looks in the pictures. Have to say I was quite impressed.
Good to hear 8 years of development and design hasn’t been completely wasted!
I must trek over to my local dealer and see if they’ve got a Mk8 in at some point.

What are the standout features in your opinion Ian?
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Ian_C

• Not said much yet
« Reply #787 on: 10 March 2020, 21:18 »
Good to hear 8 years of development and design hasn’t been completely wasted!
I must trek over to my local dealer and see if they’ve got a Mk8 in at some point.

What are the standout features in your opinion Ian?
It definitely felt like an evolution rather than revolution inside. More integrated than Mercedes efforts of a large sweeping digital dash. I’ve always thought that other manufacturers attempts looked like an iPad had been nailed to an existing interior, the Golf has been designed around the display. Looks and feels right. Build quality was solid. And remember that this was a base model. Outside it’s very much business as usual - understated quality. Didn’t notice the ‘droopy’ nose and only really thought about that afterwards. Ultimately it’ll come down to personal preferences, usability and driveability but first impressions are good imo.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #788 on: 11 March 2020, 16:32 »
Thanks for posting that up Ian, really interesting observations particularly around the exterior styling. I must make the effort to go and view one myself at some point.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Ian_C

• Not said much yet
« Reply #789 on: 11 March 2020, 20:58 »
I’ve seen a few posts on social media indicating that they’re beginning to show up at dealers. The one I saw was in the valet bay getting ready for display in the showroom.