Author Topic: Mk 8 Golf  (Read 172339 times)

Offline AGB

• I live here
Re: Mk 8 Golf
« Reply #750 on: 27 February 2020, 14:47 »

I'd just like to thank VW for strengthening the residuals of my cars. Vielen dank!

You can really see the penny pinching that has gone into the new car - not including gas struts for the bonnet is just miserly for a range topping car and Thomas from Autogefühl seemed faintly horrified. Same so for the back where they've reverted to cheap, hard plastics for the rear doors. The accountants have clearly had a hand in the component specification but those dieselgate fines aren't going to pay themselves.

There is something lumpen and misshapen about this car and the fog lights just remind me of a Kia.

Whoever decided to centre GTI to the rear VW badge should get a kick in the nuts. I'm sure the glue that they use will be so cheap, it'll respond well to heating allowing it to be moved to where it belongs.

I don't know what it is with VW and their love of diamond cut wheels. Apart from the awful design, they seem intent on increasing the potential contact area to feed a secondary market in repairs. Perhaps this is another subversive attempt to upsell people into more expensive wheels.

New paint colour looks interesting but I'm sure we'll get the usual 6 colours whereas Germany will have 50. But we gave you new colours they'll cry. No, you offered tints on the same colours.

Pretty disappointing.
MK7 Clubsport S, 981 Cayman GT4, MK7.5 GTI TCR

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #751 on: 27 February 2020, 15:29 »

I'd just like to thank VW for strengthening the residuals of my cars. Vielen dank!

You can really see the penny pinching that has gone into the new car - not including gas struts for the bonnet is just miserly for a range topping car and Thomas from Autogefühl seemed faintly horrified. Same so for the back where they've reverted to cheap, hard plastics for the rear doors. The accountants have clearly had a hand in the component specification but those dieselgate fines aren't going to pay themselves.

There is something lumpen and misshapen about this car and the fog lights just remind me of a Kia.

Whoever decided to centre GTI to the rear VW badge should get a kick in the nuts. I'm sure the glue that they use will be so cheap, it'll respond well to heating allowing it to be moved to where it belongs.

I don't know what it is with VW and their love of diamond cut wheels. Apart from the awful design, they seem intent on increasing the potential contact area to feed a secondary market in repairs. Perhaps this is another subversive attempt to upsell people into more expensive wheels.

New paint colour looks interesting but I'm sure we'll get the usual 6 colours whereas Germany will have 50. But we gave you new colours they'll cry. No, you offered tints on the same colours.

Pretty disappointing.

Pretty disappointing indeed, and I think lumpen and misshapen sums up the design very well.

As well as not fitting a hydraulic bonnet strut, there’s further evidence in the Autogefühl video of penny pinching under the GTI’s bonnet by not painting the engine compartment or underside of the bonnet in body colour either.

VW might love diamond cut alloys but I’m 100% with you - I really dislike them and the almost inevitable white worm that’s likely to appear 2-3 years into ownership. Even if customers are tempted by VW’s attempts to upsell more expensive wheels, the chances are that they’re also likely to be diamond cut!
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #752 on: 27 February 2020, 16:12 »
From that video.... the distinctive red stripe of the GTI is not visible on the red GTI (which is not Tornado Red btw...)

The grey GTD looks better because the grey is a better colour than the red for the car, you can see the shape more defined - imagine what it would look like with the red GTI stripe.

Secondly the grey GTD looks better not just because it doesn't have the (18") sh1tty GTI wheels but those wheels on the GTD are actually (optional) 19's.

This is why the GTD looks better.... the video, which has the same cars as the static photos floating around, explains all of this quite deftly.

And the GTD btw also does not have the optional (Renault Megane) foglights.
« Last Edit: 27 February 2020, 16:17 by fredgroves »
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #753 on: 27 February 2020, 16:30 »
Those wheels on the GTi are 17" Fred. 18s and 19s are optional.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Juicetin

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #754 on: 27 February 2020, 16:33 »
17inchers as standard, is that right? they've gone back to Mk5 days!

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #755 on: 27 February 2020, 17:32 »
17inchers as standard, is that right? they've gone back to Mk5 days!

That GTI is LHD so it won’t be UK spec. 17” alloys were the standard wheels on the mk7/mk7.5 GTI in some overseas markets.

I’d expect UK spec cars to get 18” alloys as standard.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
« Reply #756 on: 27 February 2020, 18:31 »

Nah, those 18s on the GTI are definitely 18s.
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline Aparat

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #757 on: 27 February 2020, 18:36 »
MK8 is the reason why I just upgraded to the newest mk7.5 PP I could afford. It just does not look good to me at all inside and out.
All touch buttons and screens, even on stearing wheel?  :huh: Knowing me I would be just wiping car inside instead of driving it. Front looks ugly as ....  :sick:
Im really disappointed.
« Last Edit: 27 February 2020, 18:37 by Aparat »

Offline JB GTI

• I live here
« Reply #758 on: 27 February 2020, 18:48 »
Deep Black Pearl might save its awkwardness a little and help hide the decidedly average front end. Decent set of 19” wheels instead of them “club book” specials will definitely help too. Don’t mind the interior from the video images but will need to see one in the flesh and have a proper poke around to see how much penny pinching has really gone on before I make a decision on whether I buy one or look elsewhere next year.
Jury’s out !!  :undecided:
Now Gone: 3dr GTI Carbon Grey Performance Pack Dynaudio
Discover Nav Park Assist Rear Camera
Picked Up: 15th March 2014

Now Gone 3dr Golf R Lapiz Blue, DSG, Dynaudio, 19" Pretoria's, Discover Nav, Keyless, Rear View Camera
Picked Up: 1st March 2015

Now Gone Too: Mk7.5 Golf GTi Performance 5dr Indium Grey DSG Dynaudio 19” Brescia Alloys Vienna Leather Keyless Entry/Start Panoramic Roof 90% Tints Park Assist Rear View Camera Voice Activation Dynamic Lane Assist/DLA

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #759 on: 27 February 2020, 19:07 »

Nah, those 18s on the GTI are definitely 18s.
if you mean the red GTi in the YouTube video he says they are 18"wheels but they are optional.
« Last Edit: 27 February 2020, 19:11 by mcmaddy »
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.