Author Topic: FUEL PUMP RELAY  (Read 1096 times)

Offline a9wyn

• GTI forum regular
FUEL PUMP RELAY
« on: 04 October 2005, 13:34 »
HAD TO CHANGE A FUEL PUMP RELAY ON MY '83 GTI CAB. THE OTHER DAY DUE TO ENGINE STARTING PROBLEMS THIS ITEM WAS RENEWED LAST YEAR WHICH WAS BOUGHT FROM GSF MY QUESTION IS, ON THE OLD RELAY  TURNING THE IGNITION ON THE FUEL PUMP PRIMING 'BUZZ' WAS DISTINCTIVE ON THE REPLACEMENT BOUGHT FROM VW (AT A HEFTY  PRICE) THERE IS NO FUEL PUMP PRIMING 'BUZZ' BUT THE ENGINE STARTS AND RUNS OK NO ONE AT VW CAN GIVE A DEFINITE ANSWER WHETHER THIS  SHOULD HAPPEN  THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE TWO RELAYS IS THAT THE LETTER SUFFIX AT THE END IS DIFFERENT ON THE NEW RELAY AS OPPOSED TO THE OLD RELAY VW SAY THIS IS DOWN TO MODIFICATION....ANYBODY GOT AN ANSWER TO THIS

Offline gibby

• Forum addict
  • Champions of Europe,ooh ,just the five times then!
Re: FUEL PUMP RELAY
« Reply #1 on: 04 October 2005, 14:32 »
Strange.  :huh: When I had a problem with my fuel relay the AA guy said to me that if it doesn't buzz then it probably wont start, this is because I had to wait for it to cool down sometimes before it would start again and that was what he said to me as it was a lottery whether it would start again.  :undecided: It must prime the fuel pump at some point though, might be an idea to listen to it closer while someone else turns the ignition on.  :undecided:
......now officially dubless.

Offline bens_Cab

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 04 October 2005, 18:50 »
hi guys i have the awnser to your relay nightmare

to different types the early relays if you look at the pins has a brown base this is the one that primes when you turn the ignition on

type two look at the pins this one will have a white base this only primes when the engine is turning over these are found on the later mk1 cabs and mk2 golfs

i too had the mis fortune of buying one from gsf go to a main dealer and get the right one it will make a difference to starting

Ben

Offline a9wyn

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 06 October 2005, 07:31 »
thanks for the replies lads the base of the replacement relay is white as opposed to the original being brown  looks as if this could be the answer car still runs ok though