Author Topic: Just bought 87 gti cab - errr a little help here!?  (Read 1626 times)

Offline 87GTICab

• Not said much yet
Evening all.

Picked up my first ever Mk1 Golf GTI Cab this morning, and I have to say I've not stopped griining since I sat in the seat.  I work for a well known Bavarian motor company and I have to say I enjoy driving the cab more than the company car.

I need some help, Its got an MFA on it, but pressing the button on the stalk does sweet FA.  The display isn't knackered as far as I can see because it has some icons permanently displayed on the lcd.  Are these things known for dying or could there be a disconnected wire somewhere that may bring it back to life?

Got some really strange seats in mine too.  I havent come across another cab with them.  The car is candy white and it has a cream cloth upholstery with little black dots on it, has anyone elkse seen a cab with this interior or is it a rarity?

Window winders - whats the crack with them, don't they snap easily?!!!

Last but not least I've got issues with my near side repeater on the wing, bulb isn't dead, and no voltage coming through the wires but I can't see where the wires go once they disappear into the wing.  Has anyone got any ideas where the repeater wires go so that I can identify, check and replace if neccessary.

Got until December to get it perfect as its the car that's going to take my future wife to our wedding, its a dream car that both she and I have always wanted, well, that she always wanted to drive and I always wanted to work on!

Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated, working blind here as have no owners manual and haven't been out to get a haynes manual yet

Offline black_cabbie

• Not said much yet
  • If they don't have a golf in heaven I am not going
Re: Just bought 87 gti cab - errr a little help here!?
« Reply #1 on: 25 March 2005, 21:07 »
For the MFA there are so many things that could be wrong.The stalk, the cluster the wiring in between or the fuse.
Start by locating fuse 12 I think and see if its blown. leave it with the fuse off overnight and plug it back in the morning. Sometimes this works. If not you need to start troubleshooting the stalk, then the wiring to the cluster etc etc. Major PITA if you don't know what you are doing.

As for the repeaters, I don't have then on mine so I can't really help. Sorry.
1.8L 8V Digifart, AMS chip, Kent 270 camshaft, TT Adjustable Cam Gear, Supersprint Header with supersprint catless system, BMW AFM, Adjustable FPR. G60 Green 23lb injectors coming soon.... =)

Dinky

« Reply #2 on: 26 March 2005, 12:07 »
Ya wanna get ya self a bentley book hun,thats wot i was recommended,rather than a haynes. :smiley:

Dinx :kiss:

Offline 87GTICab

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 11 April 2005, 18:21 »
Just wanted to say a big thnks for the help given.  I was lucky enough to find that fuse 12 in the fuse box was wonky. took it out and plugged it back in, hey presto! there was life.

Can anyone tell me what the icon in the bottom right hand corner means on an MFA, it looks like a small explosion and its right next to the oil temperature, I don't have a manual so I haven't a clue what it means, plus its registering at - 40 so I'm guessing a sensor or a wire has gone doo lally.

Also does anyone have any top tips on tuning them, I adjusted the ignition timing the other day beacuse it was ticking over too high, now I'm finding that under hard acceleration the engine feels like its gone to sleep, change down a gear where the revs are high and it springs back to life.  I've had a look at the co2 mixture adjustment in the haynes manual I downloaded, but it doesn't really make sense.  Plus I'm not convinced its the cause, it almost sounds like it could be overfueling as now when it ticks over it warbles.  I know its a characteristic of golfs, but I really don't think it sounds rihgt.

Once again, any advice given would be greatly appreciated

Offline DubFan

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 12 April 2005, 03:37 »
The MFA will go between various functions, oil temp, MPG, timer and some measure outside temp (although probably only on later cars.

Sounds like a sweet ride.
Wish I could persuade my future wife that a Mk1 GTI was the way forward.

Offline gibby

• Forum addict
  • Champions of Europe,ooh ,just the five times then!
« Reply #5 on: 12 April 2005, 08:15 »
On my '91 cab the function after the oil temp is the outside temp.  :undecided: So if it's showing -40 you either have a dodgy connection or sensor as you say or you live in the north pole !  :grin:

Not sure about the tuning side of it but I'd say take it to a garage and ask them to put it on the crypton tune or whatever to see if they can see any probs.  :smiley:
......now officially dubless.

Offline Bronze MK1 Cab

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 12 April 2005, 08:34 »
Welcome to the forum 87GTIcab, have you got any pics of your new cab?

I haven't got an MFA on mine, so wouldn't know sorry  :undecided:

Glad that you are both enjoying the cab  :wink: :smiley:

Offline carrie

• Here all the time
  • i can see into your soul and its not good
« Reply #7 on: 12 April 2005, 12:57 »
Just wanted to say a big thnks for the help given.  I was lucky enough to find that fuse 12 in the fuse box was wonky. took it out and plugged it back in, hey presto! there was life.

Can anyone tell me what the icon in the bottom right hand corner means on an MFA, it looks like a small explosion and its right next to the oil temperature, I don't have a manual so I haven't a clue what it means, plus its registering at - 40 so I'm guessing a sensor or a wire has gone doo lally.

Also does anyone have any top tips on tuning them, I adjusted the ignition timing the other day beacuse it was ticking over too high, now I'm finding that under hard acceleration the engine feels like its gone to sleep, change down a gear where the revs are high and it springs back to life.  I've had a look at the co2 mixture adjustment in the haynes manual I downloaded, but it doesn't really make sense.  Plus I'm not convinced its the cause, it almost sounds like it could be overfueling as now when it ticks over it warbles.  I know its a characteristic of golfs, but I really don't think it sounds rihgt.

Once again, any advice given would be greatly appreciated

did you put the timing back becaues it was too advanced or was it just down to being confused about how to do the tickover?
because if you have just played with it and its now retareded then tha explains ALL the running problems you now have.
the tickover on any car is NEVER adjusted by playing with the ignition timing, moving the timing from where it should be can damage your engine.
the tick over can be adjusted by a small bolt on the back of the throttle body

SAY YOU LOVE SATIN?, NO SATAN, ITS SATAN

Offline 87GTICab

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 17 April 2005, 12:33 »
Think I may have sussed the running problems.  The car had been sat for a while with only occasional use.  I've checked the fuel filler neck which I'm happy to say has been replaced fairly recently so I can't see any water ingress anywhere.  I reckon its a case that there could well be sludge sat in the bottom of the tank as when we went for a blast down the M3 and M27 to Portsmouth the other weekend with a decent level of fuel in it it ran fine.  Now as the fuels is running down it only seems to be a heavy right foot that causes it to jump and kangaroo.  I'm thinking that the excess fuel drawn into the swirl pot may drag crud through and then give me a very poor acceleration and even injector block, a change down to a lower gear tends to solve the problem.  Will bung some injestor cleaner in too to help clear it

I put the ignition timing back to where it was and its now ticking happily over in the given range marked on the rev counter.

I'll have a play with the fuel mixture once I've topped the tank up with a decent amount of fuel and see what happens then.

I'll try and get some pics put on, went to a scarppy the other week and picked up a full set of mark 2 winder handles so all the windows now wind up and down. Also got a second hand headlamp for the nearside as it had been broken and araldited together....amateurs!

I've started clearing the rust, the worst was on the tailgate which I have cleared, rust proofed, filled primed and sprayed one sunny day this week, have to say, as a relative newbie to fiiling etc, it came out much better than I expexted.  I took the red grill surrounds off and resprayed them white as the car is black and white and it just didn't look right.  I'm not in the habit of trying to radically change the car, just want to keep it as simple, clean and original as possible, but I have to say, it was worth the £750 I paid, definitely worth the grin that goes on my face every time I drive it.

Brakes are a little spongy to say the least, although when it was last MOT'd it did have a new master cyclinder put on so I may have to have a bit of a play, am I right in thinking that there is a regulator somewhere under the body so there is a set bleeding order?

My next task it to look at putting an audible stereo system in.  Would love a sub in the boot, but conscious of the size so I've been looking at the all in one sub tube units with an amp built in.  I've seen some nice JBL 6 x 4's in the local Halfords for the front doors priced at £50, but I'm not sure what size the speakers are in the rear panels, does anybody know?

Lastly I'm goung to have to trawl a scrappy to get hold of a space saver as mine's missing.  The previous owner put on a set of 15" ERH alloys which really suit the car, and its been lowered so the ride is more real.  Was tempted to put a strut brace in the engine bay just to reinforce the ride.  Has anyone does this and does it make a noticeable difference?

Have to say, this is the best place I've found to date for info.  Keep up the good work, I'll get pics posted as soon as there is enough sun to set the backdrop!

Offline mk1cabed

• Just got here
« Reply #9 on: 27 April 2005, 23:18 »
hi i just joined the world of golf cabs to. Mine has the interior that you are describing only the drivers seat is a little worse for wear. But hoping to find one thats OK. anyway the problem you are describing that when you lead foot it the car feels like its dying. mine was like that, put it in the garage to investigate turned out to be slave fuel pump not working right and the engine staving under hard acceleration. do you have a clicking/grinding noise coming from drivers side rear of car. another sign that i could be the pump. hope this helps. :evil: