Author Topic: In serious need of help identifying an 83 GTI  (Read 2582 times)

Offline 83GTI-DS

• Not said much yet
In serious need of help identifying an 83 GTI
« on: 04 January 2005, 20:28 »
Hello there,

I'm from Israel, and have found a rare (at least here) 1983 Golf GTI, which I'm looking into purchasing. The problem is - the owner isn't fully aware of the type of car he owns.

I myself also got to know the MK1 / MK2 Golf GTI market just after finding this car for sale, and doing a lot of research over the net, and with some friends. This is why I need some help as far as the following aspects:

1) This is probably a very dumb question, but was there an MK2 Golf GTI made in 1983? In most places I only saw MK1 as the model for that year, but then I stumbled across the following article, with a picture of an MK2 1983 GTI...

http://www.matey-matey.com/dis_5.shtml

This is chapter five of a very extensive article on the VW Golf GTI - so I can only guess this is not a mistake.

If MK2 and MK1 of the same production year exist, how do I tell them apart - i.e. what do I look for to figure out if the model I'm about to buy is 1 or 2?

2) I also read some articles about a 1983 Golf GTI "Campaign" model, and that this model has a sunroof as well as a few other minor things. Can anyone tell me a bit more about this model? The reason I'm asking is - the model I'm looking at does have a sunroof (it opens to the inside of the vehicle), and I was wondering if this model could be the Campaign model.

If it's of any help (although I doubt it, as the picture isn't too clear, and there's only one picture), here's a picture of the car:

http://www.11hair.co.il/Upload/otophoto/vehicle/543_1.jpg

Thank you very much for your help in advance, it is most appreciated!

Adi Friedman.

Offline mk1

• I live here
  • 2ltr16v turbo (now with programmable EFI)
Re: In serious need of help identifying an 83 GTI
« Reply #1 on: 04 January 2005, 21:47 »
Hi Adi.
Looks like a mk1 to me, could be wrong as i am on a laptop at the mo. If you look at the fuel filler, mk1 has a cap and mk2 has a flap with a cap behind it. Mk1 has the fuel injection on the l/hand and mk2 on the r/hand ,as viewed from the front. If it is a mk1, check this excellent site for more info.
http://portal.campaignregister.co.uk/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=7
Steve.

Offline 83GTI-DS

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 04 January 2005, 22:15 »
Thanks for the great tips Steve!

Let me make sure I'm reading you correctly here - are you saying there were, in fact, both MK2 and MK1 GTIs for that same year? That's odd... I wonder why VW would do that.  If that's not the case, than the car is for sure an MK1 since I'm 100% positive it's a 1983 model.

There are several things that keep me from looking into whether this GTI is a campaign or not, as (for example) the tyres & rims were switched, as well as other such components. There is a sunroof, though, and the car is diamond silver :) who knows. I'll look into some of the other characteristics mentioned there next time I get a look at the car.

This car has moved through so many owners (10), but from my test drive, as well as the overall status of the car (compared of course to what the seller is asking for), it's not in a bad situation at all. Unfortunately, it is VERY uncommon for sports cars in Israel to be owned by the same person for a long period of time, and so for example the average 94 Clio RSI would normally be around its 4th or 5th owner.

The seller had a new electrical system installed not too long ago, a new alternator and radiator, a new starter, new tires & rims, and also a Remus exhaust. It seems to me that most of this car's old-age problems, except for possibly the engine, have already been painfully experienced by the current owner, except for the engine. I plan to have the car professionally looked at before making a final decision, of course.

Can you provide me with any feedback on the above, or point me in the right direction as to what I should probably look into, to make sure the car is good to go?

Thank you very much again for your help Steve, it is most appreciated!

Adi.

Offline Justins145bhpMK1

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 05 January 2005, 10:29 »
Definately a MK1 and could well be a Campaign.

Check to see if it has a leather steering wheel, it looks like it has green tinted glass with a sunstrip on the windscreen, these are campaign only characteristics.

Another good way to be sure is look at the Chassis number, if it is an EW chassis number its a campaign!!

Offline gibby

• Forum addict
  • Champions of Europe,ooh ,just the five times then!
« Reply #4 on: 05 January 2005, 11:05 »
Adi, If the car you are buying is the one in the picture below then it's a mk1.

To check if its a campaign then the website that Steve has given you is about as extensive as you will get on the web and tells you all you need to know. Don't know about anywhere else in the world but in England the mk1 was registered until 83/84, then the mk2 was registered from August '84 onwards. :smiley: So with the old registration dates in England which used to change the registration year in August, then it would be possible to have a mk1 registered in 1984 (pre August 1st) and also have a mk2 registered in 1984 (after August 1st). Hope this helps.  :smiley:
......now officially dubless.

Offline hairyarse

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 11 January 2005, 11:55 »
Adi, the link to campaign register didn't seem to be working for me? Here is link to the new site, the MK1 Golf owners Club.

www.vwgolfmk1.org.ukGo to the buying guides and it will tell you all the identifying features of the Campaign but Justin is right on his statements and the chassis number is one of the best ways to check.

Offline Justins145bhpMK1

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 11 January 2005, 14:53 »

There are a couple of other little details unique to the Campaign which are mk2 type mushroom door pins and fake stitching on the interior door handles. Also the fuel cap has a spring loaded cover where the lock is. Also the front spots on a campaign are actually fogs.

Bear in mind though these parts are easy to put on a non campaign so the chassis number is the way to go for sure!

Offline carrie

• Here all the time
  • i can see into your soul and its not good
« Reply #7 on: 15 January 2005, 16:02 »
to me its a bit of a incidental point wether a car is a campaign or not if most of the campaign parts have been removed!!!. its like people who buy fire & ice mk2s then go and change the wheels and the interior, whay get a special edition then remove all the parts that make it special?.
just my opinion but you do have to wonder, this is why i have been buying original parts for my golf as it is a cc. it is the seats, wheels etc that make it this if i were to recover my seats then it would no-longer be a cc would it?

SAY YOU LOVE SATIN?, NO SATAN, ITS SATAN

Offline BobbyT

• I live here
  • Housemusic aint for everybody,only the sexy people
« Reply #8 on: 10 March 2005, 17:07 »
defo a mk1! old school!!  :grin:
BW3 2018... 7.5 Oryx White R Estate, Black mirrors and rails, Dynaudio, Rear Cam, Climate Screen, 90% tints

mix

« Reply #9 on: 11 March 2005, 13:00 »
yeah, thats a mk1!!  sweet car for ya