Author Topic: VR6 into a MK1  (Read 1169 times)

Offline acma

• Not said much yet
VR6 into a MK1
« on: 20 May 2009, 18:35 »
Hi all,

Well I know it's been done a fair few times before, but well I've just managed to pick myself up a fairly cheap VR6 and subframe and fancy having a go at it.....  Just love the sound of the VR6.....  Oh and I recently managed to pick myself up a cheap MK1 Cab, so guna have a little fun over the coming summer months.

Thought I'd start the post and update each week for all who want to watch the thread developing.

First job is to strip the mk1 I've got, that will be done over this bank holiday weekend.  I intend to rid the car of any rust etc etc.  The engine and subframe will be here on saturday but the car isn't obviously ready for that bit yet, so it'll be going into storage until I'm ready for it.

I'm not a mechanic but have some knowledge about cars having recently restored a lotus elise, and that too was just for fun, however I didn't upgrade anything on that car, but it's just built my confidence in having a go.  I work for an engineering company which obviously helps (i however pen pusher before people start to think I already posses the necessary skills to undertake such a job), though knoweldge will be on hand, or so I hope hahahaha

I've already asked one of the lads to help me with some MIG wielding (given the car will need new engine mounts etc), my first training day is on Monday 25th May, seen I've never wielded anything in my life before, thought it best to get some training and avice lol....

Anyway, enough rambling on, I'm sure once it's finished I'll be Santa Podding it  :laugh: though that's months away I'm sure...

If anybody has undertaken a similar task before any tips/pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers for reading this thread, to those who do, watch this space..

Oh yeh I'll post as many pictures as I can too...

Offline kraM

• Here all the time
  • It's not the speed, it's the sudden stops...
Re: VR6 into a MK1
« Reply #1 on: 20 May 2009, 21:46 »
...the glass is half empty.  (sorry, not half full this time)

Er second project, trying to push a square peg through a round hole, it has been done, but I have heard rumours of massive body work mods (bulk head), the engine is very heavy and may buggar the handling.

BUT, I would love you to prove the pesimist in me wrong, and look forward to the pictures and watching the car take shape, oh, get a power steering rack conversion for it, else with that lump, you'll never turn the wheels!

Are you sticking with the injection, or going for 3X twin 40's?  I imangine that would sound awesome on full moo! :evil:

Happy swearing!!!  :wink:

kraM
It's not the speed... it's the sudden stops...

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #2 on: 20 May 2009, 23:39 »
It can and has been done but mk1's suit a lighter engine 1.8T or Abf, you need to cut a lot of the shell away as well.

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
« Reply #3 on: 21 May 2009, 10:19 »
I've seen it done 2 ways, either hack the mk1 to accept the MK3 subframe, either bolt or weld it in.  this has the advantage that mk2/3 hubs, wishbones & power steering will fit straight on, but its tough to get it in right. disadvantage is the wide track, mk2 wishbones can be fitted but its still a little wider than a mk1. the right wheel/tyre combo can help, plus a bit of arch trimming. Also the mk3 subby adds a bit of strength to the lower suspension/steering, just need to make sure the rest of the chassis is properly braced to match :)

other option is to chop the mounts off the subframe and weld these onto the mk1 chassis.  either way you'll want to beef up the front end especially the front crossmember, and apparently the sump can sit a bit low?  There are several build threads on the vortex, theres one called 'crazy teenagers' which shows mk3 subframe grafting, anbd theres another one which has amazing build quality showing the mount grafting technique, i cant remember the thread title on that its been inactive for a while.
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.