Author Topic: Mk8 operational tips and tricks  (Read 9152 times)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Mk8 operational tips and tricks
« on: 19 January 2021, 10:28 »
Thought I'd start this thread to collect thoughts on various Mk8 things, particularly ones which differ from the Mk7 but open to any things you've discovered or use.

First one from me VW Nav map updates.... from the user manual:

Navigation data for frequently travelled regions is automatically updated in the background with an existing Internet connection and valid privacy settings

Great, automatic updates, no more file downloads....

Current navigation data for larger regions, e.g. Western Europe, can be downloaded from the Internet at “www.volkswagen.com” and stored on a suitable USB data medium available commercially. If you switch off the Infotainment system, installation will be interrupted and will automatically continue once the unit is switched on again.

Download the navigation data and save on a USB data medium.

Switch on the vehicle ignition.

Connect the USB data medium to the Infotainment system. The navigation data for regions that are currently frequently travelled is automatically updated in the background.

So no.... if you have a small data set (eg UK) it will update online automatically, but it won't update Western Europe map set automatically?
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
Re: Mk8 operational tips and tricks
« Reply #1 on: 19 January 2021, 10:31 »
There are no SD cards in a Mk8, only USB ports.

There are possibly 3 of them - two in the lower dash above the wireless charging pad, possibly one in the arm rest cubby hole.

According to the manual, some are data enabled (ie you can use them for android auto/apple carplay/usb storage) and some are charge only.

No idea which ones will be which - can anyone help with that?

Manual also helpfully says they could be USB A (old skool) or USB C. I think from what I saw in the car the ones in the dash are C's.

Might be helpful for anyone getting a Mk8 to know they will need a new phone cable and/or USB stick (of the right type) to replace their SD card music from their Mk7.
« Last Edit: 19 January 2021, 11:23 by fredgroves »
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 19 January 2021, 10:41 »
For some bizarre reason the rear heated screen and max front screen blow buttons are on the headlight control panel (to the right of the steering wheel)

The user guide is a little vague, but suggests that if you push the dipped headlight button it activates "poor weather lighting" although I not sure if this mode is only for the clubby and R because the manual shows no button for front fogs and that button is definitely there on the GTI (GTE and GTD too I assume)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 19 January 2021, 11:26 »
If you have the HUD, you can change the colour of the display in the infotainment screen under vehicle settings. Useful if its snowing or fog when white is not visible.

Offline Dave1rs

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 19 January 2021, 11:29 »
The usb sockets are indeed usb c, Vw kindly gave me 2 leads to fit my iPhone.

Not spotted a usb in the armrest,will double check.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 19 January 2021, 11:32 »
Wireless charging pad thingy - from reading the BMW forums there might be an issue if you have a big phone (Galaxy Note, S20+ or maybe the big apple thing) or if you have a big bullk case on a smaller phone. Might not fit.

Not sure if this is a VW problem too.

Edit: VW manual says:

Always place only one Qi-enabled mobile device without a protective case and with maximum dimensions (width x length) of 80 mm x 140 mm (3.15 in x 5.512 in) flat on the shelf of the wireless charging function.

Qi-capable mobile devices with larger dimensions cannot be charged wirelessly.

So no, an Iphone 12 pro or Galaxy Note 10 will not fit or charge wirelessly.... probably not any of the mega sized phones either.

And don't put anything metal in that cubby hole or all hell will break loose, probably just warning messages but maybe lightning bolts as well.

Edit #2 - wireless charging and using something heavy like google maps via ACP will make your phone red hot. I also noticed this on my BMW test drive using wireless android auto and waze.... guess that means wireless phone integration is pointless. Lovely.
« Last Edit: 19 January 2021, 13:09 by fredgroves »

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 19 January 2021, 11:34 »
The usb sockets are indeed usb c, Vw kindly gave me 2 leads to fit my iPhone.

Not spotted a usb in the armrest,will double check.

Great!

Are both the sockets in the dash data enabled? There might be a little logo next to them? either a battery or a USB symbol like this:

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 19 January 2021, 11:38 »
Is there no charging port behind the rear view mirror for a dashcam?

Does the wireless charging still work ok if you have a case over your phone?
7.5 GTD

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 19 January 2021, 11:41 »
Is there no charging port behind the rear view mirror for a dashcam?

Does the wireless charging still work ok if you have a case over your phone?

No socket according to the manual.

Wireless charging should work if any other wireless charging works (ie its not a VW limitation). My S10 charges wirelessly ok with its case, but it is a Samsung case on it.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 19 January 2021, 11:43 »
Here's a nice warning for you - front assist (automatic braking) is disabled if you have ESC (stability control) in sport mode or if you have any brake light bulbs not working..... (plus a load of other scenarios but those two seemed the most likely)

Unlike the Mk7, on the Mk8 Front Assist uses both the radar AND the camera. Both have to be working and it can freak out under certain environmental conditions, mainly around camera visibility.

Low sun, snow, entering or exiting tunnels....

Expect to see warnings I suspect quite often about it being unavailable - I suspect this is what I was seeing on the BMW the other day too...
« Last Edit: 19 January 2021, 11:52 by fredgroves »