Author Topic: aerosol can blew up in boot!  (Read 4767 times)

Robracer

aerosol can blew up in boot!
« on: 25 July 2012, 21:16 »
Hi guy's, I'm in need of some urgent advice, on behalf of a friend. I'm hoping this is the correct thread though?
It's practically a brand new KIA cee'd, he left a can of galvanizing paint in his boot, and with the hot weather today it exploded and deposited its contents all over the glass, plastic & carpet! we've tried wurth industrial cleener and only managed the glass. what else would remove the galvanising paint?
Thanks in advance guy's

Offline danny_p

• Forum addict
Re: aerosol can blew up in boot!
« Reply #1 on: 25 July 2012, 23:56 »
new trim
all the VW's have gone bar 1.

Robracer

« Reply #2 on: 26 July 2012, 08:22 »
That's what I suggested, but that would cost a small fortune. He wasn't to fond of that idea

Offline Mr Blue

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 26 July 2012, 17:53 »
Plastics will be a bodyshop thinner or IPA IsoPropyl Alcohol job.

Carpet will be a gonner though!
:)

Offline AcidicDavey

• Here all the time
  • Not a VAG Owner.
« Reply #4 on: 26 July 2012, 19:29 »
Take the carpet out and spray it with black spray paint, will look a whole lot better but of course it won't be perfect but'll do until a replacement can be found.
95 Volvo 480 2.0 Celebration

Offline danny_p

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 26 July 2012, 19:43 »
if you try acetone/ thinners/ gunwash  try it somewhere out the way.   that stuff eats sme plastics  also it will turn into one big smear so you'll need to rinse it off a few times till it's managable  just hope it hasent eaten the trim by that point
all the VW's have gone bar 1.

Offline Mr GTD

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 26 July 2012, 21:13 »
That's some bad luck, and on a new car aswel...even if it was just a Kia cee'd :evil: it's a new car none the less...

Got any pics?
Collected 1st March 17 - MK7 GTD 5dr DSG Pure White With Optional Extras - Tech Pack - Sports & Sound - Pan Roof - Tints - Leather

Robracer

« Reply #7 on: 27 July 2012, 00:30 »
Cheers, I must admit I had cellulose thinners and isopropanol in mind, but I was worried about them eating the plastic trim. He had the idea of respraying the trim to cover up the zinc paint, but tbh won't be able to match the look of brand new trim. But so far, the glass is doable. But I never thought of spraying the carpet? Would that last? Durability wise? I do have a few pics but their on my lumix, I'm presently on my HTC. I'll upload some after work tommorow. Could start a warning guide on leaving aerosol cans in your during the summer months! lol

Offline philmar

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 27 July 2012, 09:33 »
 Would the Insurance pay out for this type of incident ?

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 27 July 2012, 17:27 »
That's what I suggested, but that would cost a small fortune. He wasn't to fond of that idea

Have you got that option priced up? Even just the carpet might be worth it for a lot less faf.
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity