Author Topic: Stone chip repair  (Read 6441 times)

Offline xxpenxx

• Here all the time
  • .: Eat Me :.
Re: Stone chip repair
« Reply #10 on: 17 February 2011, 14:43 »
not perfect but heres some scratch and chip repair i did on my mk3 gti http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=113872.
My god your good, thats a very good crack at what looks like a horrible mess of scratches, hat off to you sir  :wink:
..........and here's me crying over a small chip on my disco's bonnet  :grin:
Guy, I'd bet my balls that Steve wasn't being malicious above  :rolleyes:
For £300 quid I'd expect a forcefield.
You think thats pricey, check out this guys price lists!! lol
www.gleammachine.net
his work is superb by all accounts... well worth it if you think of the value it could add to your car and the amount of work it takes

Yep I agree, but that is alot of money too spend, some people dont care so much about swirls on the paint etc etc  :huh:

Offline The Doc

• Forum addict
  • E63s Estate - Vito Sport
« Reply #11 on: 17 February 2011, 14:59 »
not perfect but heres some scratch and chip repair i did on my mk3 gti http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=113872.0

My god your good, thats a very good crack at what looks like a horrible mess of scratches, hat off to you sir  :wink:
..........and here's me crying over a small chip on my disco's bonnet  :grin:
Guy, I'd bet my balls that Steve wasn't being malicious above  :rolleyes:
For £300 quid I'd expect a forcefield.

You think thats pricey, check out this guys price lists!! lol

www.gleammachine.net

To be fair I only think it's pricey for that service ie "dripping paint onto chips"

I've had a few of my Land Rovers / Range Rovers / BMW's and Porkers painwork corrected and it costs a fair few more quid than that but the results speak volumes. :wink:
« Last Edit: 17 February 2011, 15:03 by The Doc »

Offline Jimble

• Forum addict
« Reply #12 on: 17 February 2011, 18:29 »
I'm not going to get someone in to do it as there is only one small chip, if there was more i'd consider it. So can someone tell me what stuff i need please as per my OP?
cheers
Currently pootling around in our family wagen, a Tiguan SEL 😂

Offline thai-wronghorse

• Serious forum addict
  • mk1 Seat Leon FR TDI
« Reply #13 on: 17 February 2011, 18:46 »
If you're going for the DIY route on stone chips i must admit that I found the Halfords kits to be better than the main dealer ones for the simple reason that the applicators on the bottles are like needles and are very fine, much much finer than those poxy brushes.

Offline Jimble

• Forum addict
« Reply #14 on: 17 February 2011, 19:59 »
I've already bought the kit from the stealers, was gonna use a cocktail stick or something similar, perhaps a modeling brush, it's the polishing compound and wet n dry paper i need pointing in the right direction of really?  :wink:

Offline Dan J

• I live here
  • Pro Valeting and correcting paint since 95
« Reply #15 on: 17 February 2011, 20:20 »
not perfect but heres some scratch and chip repair i did on my mk3 gti http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=113872.0

And your the pro round here  :grin: its a difficult job.

yes i am interested by what you meant by that steve, yes i am a pro valeter/detailer with 16yrs experience, i do not claim though to be a pro at stone chip or scratch repair, it was something i tackled on my golf because the quote i had to get it sorted was way more than i payed for the car so i did it myself, and as guy said it was done to a very good standard which he has stated from seeing my car in the flesh.
I EAT CARNAUBA FLAKES FOR BREAKFAST!!!

Offline Jimble

• Forum addict
« Reply #16 on: 17 February 2011, 21:23 »
Had a quick look at your repair thread yesterday mate, looks a tidy job! :wink: just tried to have another look and your piccies have gone.

Offline F17BAD

• Forum addict
  • Golf MTM S3 GTI TURBO
« Reply #17 on: 17 February 2011, 21:50 »
Jimble mate, have you seen those kits at sh!ttly halfords ?? they are chip repair kits and on the very end is like a needle with a tiny hole in, these are bad boy!!  cant believe nobody else does their touch up kits this way, absolutly perfect for small stone chips i did my full front bonnet, as i had loads i wet sanded it, this was around 3 years ago - stll looks mint, the colour match was spot on too.  deffo worth a look.
They are in containers with a primer stick, colour stic and top coat, all in like a thin plastic container with clear lid/silver base

Not no ordinary GTI....

House classics and Techno mixes:
https://soundcloud.com/bradkells
www.mixcloud.com/kells/

Offline Steve30

• I live here
  • Ed30 .
« Reply #18 on: 17 February 2011, 21:50 »

what are you saying? I saw the results in the flesh and they were very very good, much better than some 'professional' paid for jobs I have seen

one of my regulars has a passat that he paid £300 for 'stone chip' protection from the stealers... so far all i can see is that it involves him taking his car back every so often to have a blob of paint dripped onto his car... it looks terrible
I'm saying its job i would never touch, it needs a pro to do that type of job , and hes done a brilliant job :cool:

Tiguan quicker than the Golf

Offline Steve30

• I live here
  • Ed30 .
« Reply #19 on: 17 February 2011, 21:53 »

yes i am interested by what you meant by that steve, yes i am a pro valeter/detailer with 16yrs experience, i do not claim though to be a pro at stone chip or scratch repair, it was something i tackled on my golf because the quote i had to get it sorted was way more than i payed for the car so i did it myself, and as guy said it was done to a very good standard which he has stated from seeing my car in the flesh.
Its an ace job you've done on that , maybe my comment came across wrong ? :lipsrsealed:

Tiguan quicker than the Golf