Author Topic: Quick detailer question  (Read 3363 times)

Offline Tazzy

• I live here
Re: Quick detailer question
« Reply #20 on: 18 January 2011, 18:01 »
to sum up anyway, all detailers are different, so it all depends what you want from it, whether its one of the 4 megs, or even the 2 dodo's, some contain cleansing agents, some dont, some contain hydrophobic polymers, some dont!  :smiley:
If It Comes Off, Modify It!

Offline RickS

• I live here
« Reply #21 on: 18 January 2011, 20:24 »
Im with Guy - Jetseal followed by  A good quality coat of wax or 2 or 3  :grin:

I dont  really bother with stuff like red mist, nor do i bother doing rush type cleaning (as it always leads to scratch marks)

@ RickS, the swirls you mention were prob always their, but probably masked/hiden by the fillers in the products you been using. Using sh!t MF cloth will cause swirls as will using a spong etc, TBF the more you touch your car - even with a good lambswool mit and good quality MF cloths etc, your always at risk of more swirls or light marks, when drying my car i find patting it dry helps reduce this risk

i  machined all swirls out of mine again last week, jetsealed it, then 3 coats of DD Puple Haze, Zero swirls under halogen lights and zero hologram marks under the sun - not an easy feat on a flat black car :grin:
Nice looking motor F17. Yes I agree, it is the fillers in the Tech 2 and other similar products that prevent the appearance of swirls/holograms; but it does give a superb finish as well.
The carbon grey metallic is also a nightmare to keep looking at it's best, it shows every little bit of dirt or swirl/hologram [but I love the colour so have to put up with it]  :cool:
2012 R. Rising Blue 3 door DSG with 19" Talladega's, RNS510, Dynaudio, Cruise, DCC, Rear Cam, Colour MFD, Lux pack, Storage pack, Service plan.

Offline F17BAD

• Forum addict
  • Golf MTM S3 GTI TURBO
« Reply #22 on: 18 January 2011, 22:05 »
thanks for the comment :-)

and yea i hear you RE keeping the paint looking good, iv spent hours on mine, checking it under sodium lighting, halogen lighting and also Extream Sun, as certain marks can only be seen under certain lighting (hologram marks mainly)

I hear a product called Black hole is good for masking minor marks like this but iv not needed to try it as of yet, i didnt realise you had a mk 6 GTI - my friend just got one, very nice, soft paint on those and they swirl real easy - DO NOT let the dealer clean the car when it goes in for service, Swirl city!

Im like you i love my colour so its is all worth it haha :laugh:, that Carbon Grey is the very same colour as my friends - VERY nice colour i must admit :cool:

Not no ordinary GTI....

House classics and Techno mixes:
https://soundcloud.com/bradkells
www.mixcloud.com/kells/

Offline RickS

• I live here
« Reply #23 on: 19 January 2011, 09:37 »
thanks for the comment :-)

and yea i hear you RE keeping the paint looking good, iv spent hours on mine, checking it under sodium lighting, halogen lighting and also Extream Sun, as certain marks can only be seen under certain lighting (hologram marks mainly)

I hear a product called Black hole is good for masking minor marks like this but iv not needed to try it as of yet, i didnt realise you had a mk 6 GTI - my friend just got one, very nice, soft paint on those and they swirl real easy - DO NOT let the dealer clean the car when it goes in for service, Swirl city!
Im like you i love my colour so its is all worth it haha :laugh:, that Carbon Grey is the very same colour as my friends - VERY nice colour i must admit :cool:

I've got some Poorboys Black Hole specially made for dark colours [bought it for another car I used to own] It does mask swirls/holograms and even minor scratches, but I still think the Megs Tech 2 is best all round for new paintwork.
Thanks for the warning, but don't worry, no chance of letting the dealer wash my car, gonna make a big point of telling them that as it's due first service on 15 March. I don't think the metallic paints are as soft as the solid colours and to be honest I think the swirls on mine are not on the paint but on the Auto Glym Lifeshine I had put on from new. I don't think the dealer buffed it out fully, leaving some swirls which are only visible in bright sunlight [just on doors], but the Megs makes these disappear completely. :smiley:
Enjoy
2012 R. Rising Blue 3 door DSG with 19" Talladega's, RNS510, Dynaudio, Cruise, DCC, Rear Cam, Colour MFD, Lux pack, Storage pack, Service plan.

Offline F17BAD

• Forum addict
  • Golf MTM S3 GTI TURBO
« Reply #24 on: 19 January 2011, 21:37 »
i might give the Megs stuff a test run mate, cheers for heads up on it  :cool:

Not no ordinary GTI....

House classics and Techno mixes:
https://soundcloud.com/bradkells
www.mixcloud.com/kells/