Author Topic: Clearing snow?  (Read 4135 times)

Offline Jimble

• Forum addict
Clearing snow?
« on: 19 December 2010, 10:02 »
So what does everyone use to clear thick snow from their car? I just read that steve used warm water but wouldn't that take ages?
Currently pootling around in our family wagen, a Tiguan SEL 😂

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
Re: Clearing snow?
« Reply #1 on: 19 December 2010, 10:27 »
So what does everyone use to clear thick snow from their car? I just read that steve used warm water but wouldn't that take ages?

when it goes cold it also freezes  :rolleyes:

anyway... I use a stiff broom or a metal shovel

Offline Jimble

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 19 December 2010, 10:49 »
^hmm, yeah thanks Guy :grin: i normally use a soft brush but not sure how much damage it's doing?
Currently pootling around in our family wagen, a Tiguan SEL 😂

Offline Tazzy

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 19 December 2010, 12:14 »
the snow around bham is quite soft than usual, cant even make snow balls out of it, lol, so itll come off quite easy, but ive resorted to using the ice scraper

the car aint been cleaned for weeks so im dreading seeing the scratches once its cleaned, although a mate thought it funny to write 'turbo' onto my drivers door with his finger, (as i dont have one) so no doubt that will scratch

thanks mate...
If It Comes Off, Modify It!

Offline xkaty_h

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 19 December 2010, 13:45 »
I would take the worst off with your hands and then wash the rest off with some warm water.

You can put some salt on the floor where the water falls to help stop it freezing and ice forming.

If you use a brush you do run the risk of scratching the paint but if you know a good detailer you can get it all done in the spring and should be back to beautiful. :smiley: In conditions like this, however, it's all about damage limitation. How about getting hold of a dust sheet and covering the car when you're not using it, that way you can just lift the cloth off when you want to use the car?

Offline JDM82

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 19 December 2010, 15:15 »
The dust pan from a dust pan and brush. There plastic, light and act like a small shovel plus mine has a rubber edge so it wont scratch  :smiley:
GOLF GTi - The legendary hot hatch

Offline BJD

• GTI forum regular
  • G2 GTI 16V - G4 TDI 130
« Reply #6 on: 19 December 2010, 15:19 »
The dust pan from a dust pan and brush. There plastic, light and act like a small shovel plus mine has a rubber edge so it wont scratch  :smiley:

+1

Offline JC

• Global Moderator
  • 10k hero
  • Back in the North.
« Reply #7 on: 19 December 2010, 15:20 »
right foot and 5th gear - Sorted  :grin:

Offline richw911

• 10k hero
  • The Linkmeister and an OEM Freak.
« Reply #8 on: 19 December 2010, 15:51 »
A garage.

MKIV Mod Squadâ„¢ a part of the headlight police.

Offline Tazzy

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 19 December 2010, 17:33 »
How about getting hold of a dust sheet and covering the car when you're not using it, that way you can just lift the cloth off when you want to use the car?

unfortunately a non option for me due to the area that i live, as some little chavs will find it funny to set fire to it! (or their jobless social scrounging parents will knick it!)
If It Comes Off, Modify It!