Author Topic: Volcanic Ash  (Read 4049 times)

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
Re: Volcanic Ash
« Reply #20 on: 21 April 2010, 11:25 »
i saw someone wearing one of those filter mask things yesterday that doctors wear... he clearly thinks this volcanic ash contains something impressive. My car is also covered in it again... after waxing yesterday! i may have to invest in a car cover if this ash is staying around for a while. around 100 years ago this thing lasted just under a year didnt it ? wondering if anyone else can confirm this as its only the rumour on the street round here.

check with Len, think he was around then  :lipsrsealed:

Offline Grand Master Patch

• I live here
« Reply #21 on: 30 April 2010, 21:58 »

Offline Dawnskaybug

• GTI forum regular
  • GoAPR.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: 02 May 2010, 21:22 »
I work on Airplanes and everythign that has been given to us by the Experts that included data from Mt. St. Helens was DO NOT WASH IT OFF instead VACUUM it off.  This was going to be a problem with 747 size aircraft as this would take a very long time with a very long extension cord.
Maybe it is different for cars than Airplanes but no way were we supposed to wash it off
APR K04//APR Carbonio Intake//Hawk HPS pads//Adams Rotors//Billy Banks Downpipe//APR Rear Sway bar

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #23 on: 05 May 2010, 16:13 »
I work on Airplanes and everythign that has been given to us by the Experts that included data from Mt. St. Helens was DO NOT WASH IT OFF instead VACUUM it off.  This was going to be a problem with 747 size aircraft as this would take a very long time with a very long extension cord.
Maybe it is different for cars than Airplanes but no way were we supposed to wash it off

that is fine but i could envisage problems with this...

1) in some cases, like on my car, the ash wasn't just easy to vacuum off... it was lightly bonded so wouldn't have come off without addition of a liquid
2) taking a vacuum to a car could cause more damage... i can imagine some might want to use the 'brush' attachment and I don't know what damage that might cause
c) most people only have domestic vacuums which aren't disposable, if you think that you would be heating up the vacuum (most vacuum cleaners get hot) I can see that the very fine particles and glass particles could cause damage to the vacuum itself... most vacuum cleaners cannot even cope with builders dust

Offline Dawnskaybug

• GTI forum regular
  • GoAPR.co.uk
« Reply #24 on: 07 May 2010, 18:56 »
Good points..

PS get ready for round 3...
Its coming :embarassed: :sad: :angry: :cry:
APR K04//APR Carbonio Intake//Hawk HPS pads//Adams Rotors//Billy Banks Downpipe//APR Rear Sway bar

Offline JellyCat

• Here all the time
« Reply #25 on: 27 May 2010, 21:02 »
Snow foam lance all the way! Totally stunned how good it is at removing dust and ash from the car.