Author Topic: Meet Daisy…  (Read 11579 times)

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
Re: Meet Daisy…
« Reply #120 on: 04 April 2024, 10:12 »
Have you got an inkling of where your money would go next time SR? After many years of driving a certain type of car it’d be hard to step back and yet still have that same emotional feeling when looking back over your shoulder at the car you’ve just parked up.
And then there’s the rest of the ownership experience, I mean can you imagine the Nissan Juke forum being very rock n roll?!

No idea at all at the moment, but you’ve planted the Nissan Juke (or should that be Nissan Joke) seed in my mind so I’ll need to make sure I put that on my list (NOT! :grin:).

If I’m going for something mainstream, then Japanese will probably be on the list. A few test drives might convince me to stay with VW after all.

Decisions, decisions……………..

I took the decision to step away from VW into a BMW, and as nice as the 128Ti is, missed the VW experience so much, we have upgraded wife's car to a 2019 Golf R as long term keeper, with a Triggers Broom attitude, mainly bought so I can have my occasional feeling of being back where belong, as run the lease down on the BMW with all the heavy miles. Wife is very happy with my having to scratch an itch on this occasion!

Had Audi's previous to MK 7 R and wife upgrade was from an Audi also, and again, as nice as they are, never got the same driving pleasure as have had from the Golf R and TCR, so a return to Audi is out, and there is literally nothing look at on the roads other than VW Golf R or GTI.

Its real shame that MK 8 Golf R has the software issues as really love seeing them with the performance pack, just not willing to take that risk on used. 

So for me, already explored the future, and its VW all the way, the 128Ti likely replacement will be a well specced late MK 7.5 R, maybe with performance pack or TCR, and further in the future, maybe 5 years, their replacement will be a MK 8.5 Golf R.
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #121 on: 07 April 2024, 17:55 »
Your VW journey is far from at its twilight Hertsman and maybe yours won’t be after all SR, although the current Juke isn’t a bad looking thing…  :whistle:
Once you’ve owned a hot hatch it’s surprising what little details keep you hooked in, some more obvious than others. Aside from power outputs that most of us barely explore, and external and internal trim embellishments, the more subtle things like damper rates and reassuring brakes do make a big difference to daily driving making the car feel more at one with you. The same for slightly firmer, bolstered sports seats. Then things like gearing and transmission responses. It all adds up as a package that VW seem good at getting right.

I’m sure nobody wants another update but here’s one anyway.

Sunday morning, on my own and up early, headed to the garage for a tape measure, looked at the car sat in front of it and immediately decided to go for a drive.
Reasons? It wasn’t raining for the first time in six months, it was daylight but still too early for the day trippers to clog everything up, and I just felt like it which isn’t often these days.

Engine fired up, radio down low, threaded through the estate and onto the main road. Vampire Weekend’s Capricorn starts playing, wistfully reminding me of a much missed Capricorn.
The car gently warming up, eventually free of built up areas, no traffic and because it’s windy no Lycra tossers pretending they’re on the Tour De France (I don’t mind proper cyclists but not these fair weather types with zero consideration). Picked up a bit of speed but still below the NSL, carried the speed through the bends and dodging potholes, reached the roundabout where the NSL finished, turned around and headed home. Probably only a quick 20 mile drive, all single carriageway winding road, and home again to fish the tape measure out of my toolbox before most of the world was out of bed.

Certainly no Evo Triangle in the company of mates in their supercars (I don’t have any of the latter!) but it was just nice having the roads to myself pondering the car itself.

My mind went back to a YouTube video I watched a few years ago when the mk8’s were just launched by a Mercedes AMG guy “Remove Before Race” where he did what I considered a fair and accurate assessment of the 8R unlike many vids I watched around the time. The car he used looked pretty much like mine so I decided to watch the vid again today.
His points were valid still, and it’s well worth a watch.
He mentioned that most of the R’s capabilities are really only apparent when you’re driving at 10/10ths and that is just so, but other things it does and they way it does them are still very endearing making the car a great daily.
I still miss the sharper looks of the Clubsport, and indeed its slightly more on edge dynamics (yet still remaining super-civilised) but the R has been a great companion through a biblically wet six months.
Sure footed, comfy(ish), and very well equipped it’s made easy work of some horrible driving conditions.

Talking of equipment, it’s time to reflect on spec choices.
11 months on from ordering and3 months into ownership these are my reflections.

Colour, white, no regrets. Gives a bit of contrast to the blue accents, doesn’t highlight swirls too badly, and Golfs look great in white.

No Performance Pack. Wasn’t available as an option, didn’t want the leather (beautiful as it looks) of the R20. Not bothered, haven’t had to suffer a cold bum at 5am, won’t ever use drift mode or derestricted top speed and therefore only missing the wing. I quite like the wing but also like the lower look of the standard hatch spoiler which then highlights the cow’s udder exhaust tips.

Speaking of exhausts, the Akrapovič was definitely off menu at order time. At £3.5k there’s no way I could justify that, I’m not a Caffeine & Machine type and unfortunately I’m from the sort of background where value for money does mean something. Plus I don’t think they look any better than the standard udders and doubt they sound very different in normal driving attached to a GPF.

Head Up Display, was a no from me.
I was expecting this to be the second coming years ago and eagerly awaited this to become available on normal people’s cars. Then I had it on a BMW and it didn’t impress me. Less ugly than the BMW dials but nowhere near as useful as I’d imagined.
Being as I like the design of the Golf dials I’d rather make the most of them by actually using them!

Park Assust. Had this in my 2013 GTI PP, used it twice in 18 months. Didn’t bother with it again despite being good value for money.

Harmon Kardon, can’t remember if this was available to order when my paperwork went in but wasn’t impressed with it in my BMW. Probably should have ticked the box if I could have but didn’t so I don’t have it. I only listen to music on low these days anyway so no great loss.

Heated seats, I ticked that box, used them twice in three months owing to a mild winter. Wouldn’t be fussed either way if ordering again. Definitely wouldn’t bother on a Clubsport as the alcantara never felt cold to the touch.   

Rear camera is quite handy but not fussed whether I have it or not. As it happens I did tick the box.

19” alloys, bigger is always better when it comes to wheels! Could do with an extra 5mm offset to look perfect but happy enough with the Estorils as fitted.

Sunroof. Meh. Enjoyed it in 1987 but didn’t have climate control on my mk1 and mk2 Golfs!

Have I missed off any options(?)

Heated steering wheel thankfully standard fit. The best thing ever! 😁
The IQ lights are equally awesome.

Future plans? Those that have been here a long time might remember that I’d take delivery of a car then immediately start changing things on it. Alas I’m old and boring now and can’t be bothered. In fact I really like the car as is. No plans, just enjoy it while it lasts.

If a meteorite hit the car tomorrow would I get another? Hell yes!

Hopefully I’m not just repeating stuff I’ve typed dozens of times previously, I’m too lazy to reread, but you get the gist. I’ll sit in the corner and shut up now.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline The_Doc

• Not said much yet
« Reply #122 on: 07 April 2024, 18:25 »
Another great update Exo, and meshes pretty well with my experiences. Have to admit, the HK stereo is only really worth it at over about 1/3 volume, so you aren’t missing much. The heated seats in my clubby see use more for prevent backache on longer trudges than keeping my backside warm on cold mornings, but I think that’s more of a metalwork in your back problem than anything else. I do like the sunroof though, brings a lot of light in and when it’s warmer, great to blast around with it open and the windows down. As for the reversing camera it’s great if you have to drive forward into spaces, the wide angle mode make it possible to see around the enormous SUVs to either side. Other than that it can be left without an issue.
Current - MK8 CS - Dolphin Grey, DCC, Black Estoril, Rear Camera, Sunroof, Winter Pack, Harmon Kardon

Previous and sorely missed - MK7.5 GTI Perf, Indium Grey, Brescias, Art Velours, Rear Camera

Online SRGTD

• I live here
Re: Meet Dais
« Reply #123 on: 07 April 2024, 19:09 »
@Exonian; I agree with The_Doc; good update, and I enjoy reading them!

I’m with you when it comes to extra cost options; I only choose those I really want; I don’t consider myself to be a tight wad, it’s just that I find the standard spec on VW’s performance models to be pretty generous.

I’ve always considered the mk8 R to be a bit of a sleeper in the looks department; to the uninitiated IMHO it doesn’t really stand out and could be mistaken for an ‘ordinary’ Golf. That’s not a bad thing IMHO. There’s one part of the R’s exterior design that I think VW could have done better; I’ve always felt that the trailing edge of the R-specific extended sills where they join the lower leading edge of the rear wheel arches don’t look particularly well integrated - I think the mk7 R’s extended sills achieved a much more cohesive, ‘blended-in’ look.

Oh and yes, I agree with you on the looks of the current Nissan Juke - it certainly doesn’t look as bad as the previous model. I still won’t be adding it to my list of possible replacements for my Polo GTi+  :grin:.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #124 on: 07 April 2024, 22:17 »
Thanks Doc, you must be quite a sight under x-ray. Some very clever and caring people must’ve put you back together and brought you back to a degree of mobility. With all of the bad things humanity inflicts upon itself it’s good to be reminded of those unsung miracle workers doing their thing.
Fair point about the sunroof too.
Plus a practical use for the rear camera I’d not considered, I hardly ever remember to look at mine to be honest, except when reversing towards supermarket car park bollards which tend to sit just below the rear window line.

Agreed with you on the side skirts of the 8R SRGTD. I’ve disliked the design ever since I first clapped eyes on photos and seeing them in the flesh for the last 3 years has done nothing to quell my distaste for the odd shape towards their rear. It’s probably for aero reasons but it sure ain’t pretty.
Gloss black versions of the GTI skirts would have been much nicer and added some contrast as per the front lower grille and rear valance in my opinion.

Oh, missing from the options I didn’t select was DCC. Forgot to add that in earlier. I was writing the post piecemeal between chores hence some of the dodgy grammar, random commas, spelling mistakes and other errors. (Harman for instance!)

Yeah, DCC. Not a fan. Written much on the reasons why previously. Quite happy with the fixed rate dampers.
I had a quick ride in a former workmate’s newly acquired Porsche Panamera (I think that’s the right one, huge thing based on the Touareg) on Good Friday. He decided he’d drive an hour and a half to show me the car as he’d been threatening to get one for years and we both thought it would never happen. Bless him! It’s quite an old example but the air ride on it was really impressive. That to me is what DCC should be like. I hope to goodness the thing stays reliable as I shudder to think what repair bills could potentially be.

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline The_Doc

• Not said much yet
« Reply #125 on: 07 April 2024, 23:44 »
@Exo, at this point I’m part cyborg. On the plus side I’m told it’s stronger than the bones it replaces, so combine that with the wheels and I’m basically a cut rate transformer at this point  :grin: I am also a world champion at musical chairs.

I’d never really considered the backup cam until I started having to pull in forwards and then found it a nightmare to see out. I was always a reverse in kinda guy before that. The wide angle view is the only one I ever use, I just wish you could make that the default view.
Current - MK8 CS - Dolphin Grey, DCC, Black Estoril, Rear Camera, Sunroof, Winter Pack, Harmon Kardon

Previous and sorely missed - MK7.5 GTI Perf, Indium Grey, Brescias, Art Velours, Rear Camera

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #126 on: 07 April 2024, 23:58 »
Nice to read your updates, Exonian.

You do have to be up pretty damn early in most parts of the country to enjoy clear roads.

But the best thing about a performance golf is that it’s a golf- (though perhaps this is the the one section of the forum where many wouldn’t agree 😂)
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #127 on: 08 April 2024, 10:10 »
Your VW journey is far from at its twilight Hertsman and maybe yours won’t be after all SR, although the current Juke isn’t a bad looking thing…  :whistle:
Once you’ve owned a hot hatch it’s surprising what little details keep you hooked in, some more obvious than others. Aside from power outputs that most of us barely explore, and external and internal trim embellishments, the more subtle things like damper rates and reassuring brakes do make a big difference to daily driving making the car feel more at one with you. The same for slightly firmer, bolstered sports seats. Then things like gearing and transmission responses. It all adds up as a package that VW seem good at getting right.

I’m sure nobody wants another update but here’s one anyway.

Sunday morning, on my own and up early, headed to the garage for a tape measure, looked at the car sat in front of it and immediately decided to go for a drive.
Reasons? It wasn’t raining for the first time in six months, it was daylight but still too early for the day trippers to clog everything up, and I just felt like it which isn’t often these days.

Engine fired up, radio down low, threaded through the estate and onto the main road. Vampire Weekend’s Capricorn starts playing, wistfully reminding me of a much missed Capricorn.
The car gently warming up, eventually free of built up areas, no traffic and because it’s windy no Lycra tossers pretending they’re on the Tour De France (I don’t mind proper cyclists but not these fair weather types with zero consideration). Picked up a bit of speed but still below the NSL, carried the speed through the bends and dodging potholes, reached the roundabout where the NSL finished, turned around and headed home. Probably only a quick 20 mile drive, all single carriageway winding road, and home again to fish the tape measure out of my toolbox before most of the world was out of bed.

Certainly no Evo Triangle in the company of mates in their supercars (I don’t have any of the latter!) but it was just nice having the roads to myself pondering the car itself.

My mind went back to a YouTube video I watched a few years ago when the mk8’s were just launched by a Mercedes AMG guy “Remove Before Race” where he did what I considered a fair and accurate assessment of the 8R unlike many vids I watched around the time. The car he used looked pretty much like mine so I decided to watch the vid again today.
His points were valid still, and it’s well worth a watch.
He mentioned that most of the R’s capabilities are really only apparent when you’re driving at 10/10ths and that is just so, but other things it does and they way it does them are still very endearing making the car a great daily.
I still miss the sharper looks of the Clubsport, and indeed its slightly more on edge dynamics (yet still remaining super-civilised) but the R has been a great companion through a biblically wet six months.
Sure footed, comfy(ish), and very well equipped it’s made easy work of some horrible driving conditions.

Talking of equipment, it’s time to reflect on spec choices.
11 months on from ordering and3 months into ownership these are my reflections.

Colour, white, no regrets. Gives a bit of contrast to the blue accents, doesn’t highlight swirls too badly, and Golfs look great in white.

No Performance Pack. Wasn’t available as an option, didn’t want the leather (beautiful as it looks) of the R20. Not bothered, haven’t had to suffer a cold bum at 5am, won’t ever use drift mode or derestricted top speed and therefore only missing the wing. I quite like the wing but also like the lower look of the standard hatch spoiler which then highlights the cow’s udder exhaust tips.

Speaking of exhausts, the Akrapovič was definitely off menu at order time. At £3.5k there’s no way I could justify that, I’m not a Caffeine & Machine type and unfortunately I’m from the sort of background where value for money does mean something. Plus I don’t think they look any better than the standard udders and doubt they sound very different in normal driving attached to a GPF.

Head Up Display, was a no from me.
I was expecting this to be the second coming years ago and eagerly awaited this to become available on normal people’s cars. Then I had it on a BMW and it didn’t impress me. Less ugly than the BMW dials but nowhere near as useful as I’d imagined.
Being as I like the design of the Golf dials I’d rather make the most of them by actually using them!

Park Assust. Had this in my 2013 GTI PP, used it twice in 18 months. Didn’t bother with it again despite being good value for money.

Harmon Kardon, can’t remember if this was available to order when my paperwork went in but wasn’t impressed with it in my BMW. Probably should have ticked the box if I could have but didn’t so I don’t have it. I only listen to music on low these days anyway so no great loss.

Heated seats, I ticked that box, used them twice in three months owing to a mild winter. Wouldn’t be fussed either way if ordering again. Definitely wouldn’t bother on a Clubsport as the alcantara never felt cold to the touch.   

Rear camera is quite handy but not fussed whether I have it or not. As it happens I did tick the box.

19” alloys, bigger is always better when it comes to wheels! Could do with an extra 5mm offset to look perfect but happy enough with the Estorils as fitted.

Sunroof. Meh. Enjoyed it in 1987 but didn’t have climate control on my mk1 and mk2 Golfs!

Have I missed off any options(?)

Heated steering wheel thankfully standard fit. The best thing ever! 😁
The IQ lights are equally awesome.

Future plans? Those that have been here a long time might remember that I’d take delivery of a car then immediately start changing things on it. Alas I’m old and boring now and can’t be bothered. In fact I really like the car as is. No plans, just enjoy it while it lasts.

If a meteorite hit the car tomorrow would I get another? Hell yes!

Hopefully I’m not just repeating stuff I’ve typed dozens of times previously, I’m too lazy to reread, but you get the gist. I’ll sit in the corner and shut up now.

As only sat in a MK 8 R in a showroom, but never driven, its always good to read observations from the trusted folk on here opposed to other sources,

Options was interesting as you pretty much excluded most of the cost options as not in anyway being must have, and my two pennies in response :)

Deliberately went back to white for the 2019 Golf R recently purchased, mainly as love the stormtrooper offset of the gloss black trim, but as someone who really does not have patience for detailing, its an extremely low maintenance colour.

Park Assist is something have on the 128Ti, used it half a dozen times at beginning, simply do not bother now, just far quicker and efficient for me to do it myself.

Rear View camera was something always stated would never need, and its not a need, but now have had it for 6 yrs + now, its become a natural part of my all around reference points, so its on the must have list.

DCC is something had on my R and TCR and thought it was a must have with 19" but when test drove a couple of 2019 R before securing the one we eventually bought, established that was a misnomer, ride is perfectly good enough on standard, somewhere around normal on my previous DCC cars. In fact, rarely used comfort on either as it was too wallow, bit sea sicky.

If next car happened to have DCC then great, choice of setting is good, but it not must have.

Wished ticked HK on this BMW 128Ti, standard speakers are pants! and though never thought sounds were that bad in previous R or TCR, wife has Dynaudio on her R and I am a convert, would definitely be looking for an R next that has Dynaudio, so sort of on the must have. Also quite like the Pro media in the MK 7.5, but absolutely no way is it worth the ££, be a nice to have if car found comes with it though.

Think like the look of Pan Roof more than functionality, so would not put on must have, but if car found ticked all my major fundamentals, and it had Pan Roof, be nice to have, though do understand it adds potential maintenance and cost implications.

Love, love the heated steering wheel in 128Ti! sadly not an option in likely MK 7.5R that will replace it, but do see a MK 8.5 in my future, so be first thing look for!

Heated Seats, definitely in the must have, still do grassroots football, and my aching body appreciates that warmth way too much to not have.

Quite like the performance pack on both MK 7.5 and the 8's that seen, but would never had option new, way too much in £ but again, if car found has all the fundamentals ticked in mileage, FVSH etc and it was a little bit more over something more standard, would fess up the extra ££ to secure. Definitely not must have, more nice to have.

The must have options over standard when selecting the 2019 R were DSG, 19" Pretoria, Rear View Camera, Privacy Glass, the car then came by chance with Dynaudio, Keyless as nice to haves.

The standard which would be must have, are auto hold, app connect and folding mirrors,

Having said all this on options, going to defer back to this 128Ti experience, it looks great, and has excellent media and interior, but the torque steer and uncertainty in wet really detract from overall experience, and its convinced me that how the car drives outweighs any option, I would presently take a stock R over the 128Ti on driving experience alone.
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #128 on: 09 April 2024, 19:34 »
I’m going to have a play with wide angle on the RVC @Doc. Hopefully not too buried in the menus to find! 😁
EDIT: found it !! Wonder if OBD11 would be able to set it as default

Are you trying to suggest mk8’s have a bad reputation @Yusee?  :evil:  :whistle:

@Herstman, you have the experience to know exactly what you do and don’t want when the 128 goes, hopefully you’ll find another peach of a 7.5, be it TCR or R.
It might be nice to have one of each on the drive rather than two R’s but if the right example comes up then you’d have to jump at a second R.
« Last Edit: 09 April 2024, 20:41 by Exonian »
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #129 on: 10 April 2024, 09:51 »
I’m going to have a play with wide angle on the RVC @Doc. Hopefully not too buried in the menus to find! 😁
EDIT: found it !! Wonder if OBD11 would be able to set it as default

Are you trying to suggest mk8’s have a bad reputation @Yusee?  :evil:  :whistle:

@Herstman, you have the experience to know exactly what you do and don’t want when the 128 goes, hopefully you’ll find another peach of a 7.5, be it TCR or R.
It might be nice to have one of each on the drive rather than two R’s but if the right example comes up then you’d have to jump at a second R.

However, know impulsive me too well, and its my rational head that is saying no to a MK 8 R or maybe Clubsport (45) due to software issues, but I do really like the MK 8's and how everyone states they are a great drive intrigues also, and there is not a huge price differential between a well specced, low mileage MK 7.5 and 21-22 plate MK 8 so when go do the forecourt rounds, would not be surprised to see some shiny, bells and whistles MK 8 R catch my eye and throw all commonsense thought out of window (used to have similar problem to a pretty face, but wife soon put me straight!  :grin:)