Author Topic: Advice on drying my car....  (Read 13852 times)

Offline Blackmass

• Not said much yet
Advice on drying my car....
« on: 14 June 2015, 10:50 »
Hi,
       Got up early today to give my new car it's first wash since I picked it up last Tuesday.

I've read alot and watched a load of videos on YouTube about washing cars. One thing that doesn't get much coverage is drying a car.

After washing the car (two bucket method,lambs wool mitt and meguiars gold class shampoo). I came to dry it off. The exterior was fine (apart from the front grill), it was drying the door sills that drove me mad! My car is a five door so there's plenty of places for water to hide and settle. I dried the door sills close the door then opened them, as I knew this would release the excess water. I did this numerous times but the area still wasn't completely dry.  :angry:

Also how do you dry the front honeycomb grill?

Any advice and tips would be greatly appreciated?

PS: I ordered some Wo-Wo products that should be with me any day soon.  :grin:

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
Re: Advice on drying my car....
« Reply #1 on: 14 June 2015, 13:25 »
All the things you describe above, the water traps, annoying drips etc, are well known to those of us who wash our own cars and are common to many marks of Golfs.

I'm sure you know this, but as regards drying in general, first and foremost the most important step is investment in a few decent micro fibre towels. 
Second is to make sure your final rinse, after shampooing, is done with an open ended hose, working from roof down.  This makes the water sheet off the car and is the easiest way to reduce standing water to a minimum.  If you just jet wash off, there will be much more water left sitting on the car.
Third is to be gentle and let the towel do the work, gently pat the car dry (no rubbing), essentially what you want to be doing is simply laying the towel on the panel and let it suck up the moisture, as opposed to dragging it along the car, which could inflict scratches and swirls.  WoWo drying towels are excellent and absorb huge amounts of water.  DoDo Juice towels are also very good.  Additionally you might consider using a drying aid or rinse aid, which helps to reduce the amount of standing water on the car - spray the product onto the wet panels and then pat dry as usual - from time to time, I use DoDo Juice Time to Dry but there are others.

But no matter how good your towels and technique, there's no escaping those water traps that continue to drip all over your nice dry car - wing mirrors, door sills, honeycomb grill, rear and front badge, number plate, wheel rim grooves, fuel flap to name but a few  :angry:

It's really just a case of going round the car a few times blotting the drips over and over, particularly the door sills drips after you've opened the doors and given the inside bits a good dry. Alternatively, some people take their car for a quick blast down the road to blow excess water from it's hiding places.  If this is not enough then you could consider investing in an air blower.  There are various types ranging from all singing, all dancing expensive models to more modest ones.  I've  recently bought the one below for this very purpose.  I wash my car almost weekly and so for me it's worth the investment.

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/washing-and-drying/metro-vac-sidekick-blaster/prod_1152.html

I've used it a few times now, including today and it is perfect for the job.  It's not something to replace towel drying but certainly deals with the pesky water traps.
« Last Edit: 14 June 2015, 13:43 by Booth11 »
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Blackmass

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 14 June 2015, 13:40 »
Thank you for your reply and link. That Metro Vac looks ideal. :smiley:

PS: I've read alot if your posts and they'be been very helpful, cheers.

Rob

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 14 June 2015, 14:01 »
Thank you for your reply and link. That Metro Vac looks ideal. :smiley:

PS: I've read alot if your posts and they'be been very helpful, cheers.

Rob

Cheers Rob.

One thing to remember with the Metro Vac Sidekick, is that it 'blows' the water off as opposed to 'heat drying' it, so it takes a bit of trial and error to get the technique or sequence of drying right to avoid blowing water onto other dry bits of car.  Probably best to use it first on the worst water traps, then dry off the rest of the car afterwards.  You'll figure out what's best for you.

Let us know how you find it  :smiley:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline JC

• Global Moderator
  • 10k hero
  • Back in the North.
« Reply #4 on: 14 June 2015, 15:02 »
when i spent 3 years as a valetor I found a 3 mile road test also dried the cars off quite well  :laugh: :grin:

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 14 June 2015, 15:42 »
when i spent 3 years as a valetor I found a 3 mile road test also dried the cars off quite well  :laugh: :grin:

Only 3 miles  :whistle:
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline JC

• Global Moderator
  • 10k hero
  • Back in the North.
« Reply #6 on: 14 June 2015, 15:44 »

yep, if in doubt flat out ! and it was working for Vauxhall ........................

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 14 June 2015, 15:50 »

...it was working for Vauxhall ........................

That's alright then  :wink:
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Wo-Wo

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
  • www.wo-wo.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: 14 June 2015, 16:27 »
The metro vac is the best piece of detailing equipment I've brought for years, I now use it every time I clean the cars and wouldn't be without it.

The second best thing would be a rinse aid as Booth has suggested.

Obviously the first thing you need in your detailing arsenal is a good drying towels  :wink:

Offline Pinky1959

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 14 June 2015, 21:16 »
I usually just take  the car a run round the bypass and back through the town .