Author Topic: advice for first detail  (Read 3613 times)

Offline Joseph

• Not said much yet
  • www.peta.org.uk
advice for first detail
« on: 23 August 2011, 12:18 »
I have just purchased some new products (ty waxamomo) for my first detail. Quite nervous actually incase i do any damage.

born slippy and supernatural clay.
Poorboys black hole glaze
jetseal 109 i have already.
dodjuice lime prime
purple haze pro wax

How long should i wait between applying the different products? Should i clay glaze and seal one day perhaps and then lime p and wax the next?
Thanks
Mk7 gti

Offline scarr89

• I live here
  • Mk4 Golf, DERV FTW!
Re: advice for first detail
« Reply #1 on: 23 August 2011, 12:47 »
Good order, I will need pictures to follow BTW... :tongue:

I have never used PB BH glaze or jetseal 109, when I do a pretty big clean I wash, clay, wash, dry, lime prime it (by hand) and then use DJ wax over the top. For me this takes 4 hours if I don't stop for a cupa! With those products I have mentioned I don't pause at all. After the LP I will give it a little wipe down but then it is straight on with the wax! Hope this help!

...don't forget pictures  :smiley:

Offline Joseph

• Not said much yet
  • www.peta.org.uk
« Reply #2 on: 23 August 2011, 12:51 »
Good order, I will need pictures to follow BTW... :tongue:

I have never used PB BH glaze or jetseal 109, when I do a pretty big clean I wash, clay, wash, dry, lime prime it (by hand) and then use DJ wax over the top. For me this takes 4 hours if I don't stop for a cupa! With those products I have mentioned I don't pause at all. After the LP I will give it a little wipe down but then it is straight on with the wax! Hope this help!

...don't forget pictures  :smiley:

pictures will follow.
Thanks. Do you think i should wait after sealing at least?
Mk7 gti

Offline scarr89

• I live here
  • Mk4 Golf, DERV FTW!
« Reply #3 on: 23 August 2011, 14:04 »
With the products you have there it sounds like you may have to wait a bit in between coats of the different product. I think the correct order for you to use those products in would be, clay, LP, glaze, seal, wax...I would give it maybe the time to make a tea and sarnie between the sealant and wax...but from the LP to glaze just give it a wipe over and a quick 5. With the sealant think it says 20mins between coats...I am sure someone far more qualified to speak will be along shortly to put us both right ( I am still new to this detailing too!)  :laugh:

Offline tg1

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 23 August 2011, 17:24 »
pretty sure you wanna leave the js109 for 20 mins to cure,

with the black hole just work it for as long as it needs, then wipe (what i do anyway)

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 23 August 2011, 20:23 »
good advice so far chaps

your order would be

rinse
wash
rinse
clay
rinse
dry
polish
glaze
seal
seal
wax
wax

the only time you would have to leave a gap is inbetween wax coats... give it about 24hrs to cure.. if its in a garage then there will be no need to give it a quick wash before you wax again

Offline Joseph

• Not said much yet
  • www.peta.org.uk
« Reply #6 on: 23 August 2011, 21:01 »
good advice so far chaps

your order would be

rinse
wash
rinse
clay
rinse
dry
polish
glaze
seal
seal
wax
wax

the only time you would have to leave a gap is inbetween wax coats... give it about 24hrs to cure.. if its in a garage then there will be no need to give it a quick wash before you wax again

thanks, i  bought the lime prime thinking this was required after sealent before wax. Is the incorrect? if so, when do i use this product?
Mk7 gti

Offline scarr89

• I live here
  • Mk4 Golf, DERV FTW!
« Reply #7 on: 23 August 2011, 21:18 »
LP is like a 'paint cleanser', but classed as polish I believe. So slot the LP in where it says polish!!

Offline Joseph

• Not said much yet
  • www.peta.org.uk
« Reply #8 on: 23 August 2011, 21:22 »
LP is like a 'paint cleanser', but classed as polish I believe. So slot the LP in where it says polish!!

excellent, thanks
Mk7 gti

Offline JDM82

• Here all the time
« Reply #9 on: 23 August 2011, 21:29 »

excellent, thanks

Thats correct, LP goes where it says polish......Scarrs spot on.

The only thing I would add is this.... Put the products on lightly, less is more when it comes to these products. Just ensure you apply them evenly. If your using a foam applicator to apply the wax I suggest you dampen the applicator and apply in thin layers. Apply it too think and its hard work to remove, trust me  :rolleyes: I applied it thick the first time I used wax and it took ages to remove.
GOLF GTi - The legendary hot hatch