Author Topic: a Mini detail  (Read 3734 times)

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
a Mini detail
« on: 01 June 2010, 11:32 »
went over to chez Horney yesterday to have a crack at Mrs Horneys little mini

I was called in as it had lived under a cover since october and some water marks were present on the roof... large faded milky patches... as the Mini was 31 years old and the paintwork was original Mrs Horney was understandably concerned... so was I  :shocked:

we decided against a machine polish straight off for two reasons...
1) Mrs Horney was very nervous about a machine polisher going near her car
2) My G220 decided to blow up last wednesday and I haven't purchased my rotary yet

so... a good clean first... degreased using 10:1 G101 mixed with TFR... gently worked my way round the car carefully working it on each panel and into crevices using a brush and then rinsing off... followed up with a snow foam to make sure all traces of G101 was removed

wheels were cleaned with AS Smart Wheels and arches with the G101/TFR mix and then pressure washed off

after the wash process did a couple of test patches with a menzera medium cut polish by hand... then had lunch!!  :drool:

after lunch cracked on... but the menzerna wasn't cutting it (literally) so worked with Poorboys SSR3... at this point had I had a machine polisher with me it would have been out... worked on the roof by hand doing several passes and finally, reduced the white milky patches (oxidisation I presume). Mr H lent a hand with the SSR3 polish bless him.

Finished the polish process with Menzera final finish, again by hand.

Then decided on a glaze, two coats of CG Jetseal 109 and Dodo Orange Crush which appeared to enhance the orangy/yellowy/sandy coloured paint a treat.

Plastic sills soaked in G101 and then jetwashed and followed up with Aerospace 303 plastic protectant. Tyres treated with AS Highstyle/SmartGel mixture.

This little mini is going to be one of those cars that will get better and better the more it is worked on... so looking forward to working on it again soon  :cool:

more pics are here...
http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=156838.msg1442004#msg1442004

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
Re: a Mini detail
« Reply #1 on: 01 June 2010, 11:38 »
Mrs Horney is very pleased with the results. :cool:

nick

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 01 June 2010, 11:41 »

nick

good beading this morning?  :cool:

Offline Dan J

• I live here
  • Pro Valeting and correcting paint since 95
« Reply #3 on: 01 June 2010, 11:44 »
nice one guy!!
I EAT CARNAUBA FLAKES FOR BREAKFAST!!!

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
« Reply #4 on: 01 June 2010, 11:48 »

nick

good beading this morning?  :cool:

Didn't look, I was running a bit late! Will check it out tonight and get a ocuple of snaps.

Nick

Offline javalin

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 01 June 2010, 13:07 »
nice work and a good write up.  Thanks
You only ever need two tools in life. If it moves and it shouldn't use Duct Tape. If it does not move and it should, use WD40.

Offline VWKev

• I live here
  • Please Support Non-Human Rights
« Reply #6 on: 01 June 2010, 16:17 »
Nice work  :smiley:

GTI mk6, 3dr Manual (Yes Manual! If I wanted a Taxi I'd hail one, not spend £1500 on one), Candy White, Full Leather, Xenons, ACC, 18", RCD510 + Dynaudio, DAB Radio, Winter Pack, Luxury Pack, Fiscon Bluetooth Plus, Golf R LED's.

"Some say he drives a Shopping car, and that his car dent was actually a beauty spot....all we know is he's called Captain Failboat"

Offline javalin

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 03 June 2010, 09:00 »
Guy

What pad / applicator did you use to apply the cutting polish by hand?

James
You only ever need two tools in life. If it moves and it shouldn't use Duct Tape. If it does not move and it should, use WD40.

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 03 June 2010, 09:55 »
Just megs sponge ones iirc

Offline javalin

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 03 June 2010, 10:02 »
ok thanks.

J