Author Topic: Advice on best polishes/waxes  (Read 3152 times)

Offline Dan J

• I live here
  • Pro Valeting and correcting paint since 95
Re: Advice on best polishes/waxes
« Reply #10 on: 04 November 2009, 19:20 »
Its smooth to the touch but only had a look at a small patch on the bonnet and noticed them straight away, not happy at all!

The wife was in when he did them and told her he had removed 80% of them and the rest where too deep!

how long did he spend doing it?

try and get a pick of the said too deep scratches :wink: and post it up on here.
I EAT CARNAUBA FLAKES FOR BREAKFAST!!!

Offline sundaydriver

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 04 November 2009, 19:29 »
I wasn't in but the wife said he arrived about 9.00ish spent half and hour in his van and left about 2.00-2.30 and it rained a liitle!

2012 Golf R, APR STAGE 2+, BCS power valve TB exhaust, loba HPFP, evoms intake, Rising blue, 19" Talladegas -BMW M2

Offline JonnyG

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 05 November 2009, 21:31 »
Sounds like you were ripped off if you paid for paint correction   :angry:

VW Paint is pretty hard ... it took me and a friend 8 hours to do a Polo properly ... that's 16 man hours.

Can't see him correcting your whole car in that time on his own.

If only Random Deep Scratches (RDS's) were left, they would'nt look like swirls, but would look linear, like a scratch

The below is a before and after shot of the Polo I did.  Swirls are all gone in polished area but there were some RDS left.

« Last Edit: 05 November 2009, 21:37 by JonnyG »
Current : Seat Cupra Lux, DSG, Magnetic Grey, Sept 2019
Gone :    Golf Mk 7 R, 5dr DSG, Pure White, March 2017
Gone :    Golf Mk 7 R, 5dr DSG, Tornado Red, March 2015
Gone :    Audi RS3, Daytona Grey, 7sp S-Tronic, Sept 2012
Gone :    Golf R, Rising Blue, 5dr DSG Mar 2010
Gone :    Golf R32, DBP, 5dr, DSG, Nov 2008
Gone :    Golf GTi ED30, Mar 2007

Offline sundaydriver

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 06 November 2009, 18:07 »
Update on the swirls and random deep scratches.

Ive spoken to the detailer again today and he's convinced there's a problem with the clearcoat on my car, he tells me its the worse condition for a car under 2 months old hes seen with swirls and rds's.

Basicly he's saying he removed all the swirls but couldn't remove the rds in the clearcoat and he thinks it would destroy most of the clearcoat if he used a more aggresive compound.

Im starting to agree with him, last night(under the security light on the drive) just gently rubbed the bonnet with my finger (it was spitting with rain)and it left a light swirl on the paintwork.

Im VERY careful washing the car (2 buckets,gritguard,mitt etc etc) and they have got worse.Its like i dont want to wash the car now in case it leaves any more marks!

Another thing the detailer told me was he knew someone whom had the same problem with an audi who took it back and the audi bodyshop put a new clearcoat on it!

So after being on the phone for 30 mins to him rang my local vw garage and convinced them to have a look at it next week.Should i tell them ive tried to have it corrected! or will they tell me the detailer probably caused the marks?

2012 Golf R, APR STAGE 2+, BCS power valve TB exhaust, loba HPFP, evoms intake, Rising blue, 19" Talladegas -BMW M2

Offline VWKev

• I live here
  • Please Support Non-Human Rights
« Reply #14 on: 06 November 2009, 18:53 »
The before and after shots look really good Jonny.

GTI mk6, 3dr Manual (Yes Manual! If I wanted a Taxi I'd hail one, not spend £1500 on one), Candy White, Full Leather, Xenons, ACC, 18", RCD510 + Dynaudio, DAB Radio, Winter Pack, Luxury Pack, Fiscon Bluetooth Plus, Golf R LED's.

"Some say he drives a Shopping car, and that his car dent was actually a beauty spot....all we know is he's called Captain Failboat"

Offline waxamomo

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
« Reply #15 on: 08 November 2009, 20:13 »
Take it back to the garage, and if they say there is nothing wrong, why not ask them to call the detailer who tried correcting the paint for you? Rather than you being the middle man and both blaming each other, if they speak directly, the detailer can tell them the problems he experienced. Just an idea.

Chris