Author Topic: F1 Thread  (Read 289731 times)

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
Re: F1 Thread
« Reply #2270 on: 13 May 2011, 11:44 »
Interesting view from Ferrari.  :smiley:

Di Montezemolo was also scathing of the current state of F1 – suggesting that new rules had made grand prix racing not as pure as it was in the past.

"We have gone too far with artificial elements. It's like, if I push footballers to wear tennis shoes in the rain. To have so many pitstops - listen, I want to see competition, I want to see cars on the track. I don't want to see competition in the pits," he explained.

"In the last race there were 80 pitstops. Come on, it's too much. And the people don't understand anymore because when you come out of the pits you don't know what position you're in.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/91349

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
« Reply #2271 on: 13 May 2011, 12:08 »

Di Montezemolo was also scathing of the current state of F1 – suggesting that new rules had made grand prix racing not as pure as it was in the past.

"We have gone too far with artificial elements. It's like, if I push footballers to wear tennis shoes in the rain. To have so many pitstops - listen, I want to see competition, I want to see cars on the track. I don't want to see competition in the pits," he explained.

"In the last race there were 80 pitstops. Come on, it's too much. And the people don't understand anymore because when you come out of the pits you don't know what position you're in.

Only moaning because they're not winning. F1 hasn't been this good for the viewer since the 80s!

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #2272 on: 13 May 2011, 12:17 »

Only moaning because they're not winning. F1 hasn't been this good for the viewer since the 80s!

Well I did not find 75 + pit stops interesting, to me it is sad that the tyres have been engineered to be so poor.

Offline AlanD

• 10k hero
  • MK5 2.0T 16v
« Reply #2273 on: 13 May 2011, 12:21 »
Got to say I agree with Horney. Much more interesting races.

Without these elements we would be where we were a few years ago with no overtaking. As soon a car catches up they cant pass due to the aerodynamic effect of being behind the car infront ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Offline Khare

• Serious forum addict
  • The bear that khares
« Reply #2274 on: 13 May 2011, 17:23 »
Yes it's exciting but I do think it's ott. Nowadays I spend half the time working out if the guys infront need to pit again or not as the positions are all shuffled. I think they should go back to reasonably harder compounds and reduce the aerodynamics by say, 40%.

Offline Phil1980

• I live here
« Reply #2275 on: 14 May 2011, 12:12 »
I think they should keep DRS but should go back to the tyre options of the past.
MK5 2005 GTI, BLACK, 3 DR, 18" MONZA II, XENONS

VeeDubGTI16v

« Reply #2276 on: 18 May 2011, 10:10 »
Looks like blown diffusers are being banned!

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #2277 on: 18 May 2011, 10:18 »
Looks like blown diffusers are being banned!

More to do with clever engine mapping.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/91475

However after a team that gives you wings complained as they were the only team doing it I believe.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/91481

Offline bored_Welsh_lad

• I live here
« Reply #2278 on: 22 May 2011, 20:25 »
no comments yet?? Well I will start.. WHAT A RACE!!!!
Mk3 Golf Gti:Full Milltek system and Decat,K&N filter,mk2 Cam,-1.5 degree camber shims, borbet a's, toyo proxies,hot tuning coils, brembo vented discs, greenstuff pads...Soon to have Eaton Power

mk3 16v 5dr Gti,mintex extreme pads,drilled/grooved discs,lowered,cat back powerflow system,omp panel filter with modified airbox,debadged grill, started prep for spraying, lots to come :D

Bumper Vents :D

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
« Reply #2279 on: 22 May 2011, 21:18 »
Yeah best Spanish GP for a while. Have to hand it to Alonso, that was an epic start.

Nick