Author Topic: Differences between GT TDI and GTD (except the 30bhp)??  (Read 33684 times)

Offline flc1962

• Here all the time
Whats the Major differences between the GT TDI and the GTD apart from Price and the extra 30 BHP.

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
Differences between GT TDI and GTD (except the 30bhp)??
« Reply #1 on: 06 January 2011, 12:28 »
Not a lot, styling, suspension, options, engine  :laugh:
The same can be said about the 1.4 petrol engine compared to the GTI   :grin:
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline Steve30

• I live here
  • Ed30 .
« Reply #2 on: 06 January 2011, 12:30 »
Whats the Major differences between the GT TDI and the GTD apart from Price and the extra 30 BHP.

The GTD is the same spec as the GTI but diesel engine oh and better seats Jacari cloth  :grin:

Tiguan quicker than the Golf

Offline flc1962

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 06 January 2011, 12:38 »
Don't like the seat fabrics for the GTi/GTD.

Am I right in saying they are both lower tahn the standard car 18mm or some thing, Spec and some little cosmetics changes, ie fog lights and that did not appeal to me, TBH my dealer advised GT TDi then get a Bluefin almost the same car but £2000 cheaper....

Offline PenguinGTI

• I live here
Re: Differences between GT TDI and GTD (except the 30bhp)??
« Reply #4 on: 06 January 2011, 12:57 »
In reference to mapping a GT Tdi and effectively ending up with a GTD then that is a bit mistaken.

Yes the GT Tdi may be 2k cheaper but you lose the spec and the styling.

More so if you whack a remap on a GTD then you can generally see a minimum of 200bhp.

If you buy a GT Tdi then you have a GT Tdi. If you remap it then you still have a GT Tdi.

Another way to think about it is how you would sell the car. If you bought a GT Tdi and remapped it, bought different alloys and maybe got the body kit then all you can advertise it as is an upgraded GT Tdi. It is not a GTD.

Of course if you are out to get a certain amount of power for as cheaply as possible then yes you could attain GTD power by taking a lesser powerful model and mapping it. Depends what is important to you.

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 06 January 2011, 13:08 »
Personally I feel that here are slight differences like seats, wheels, engine, exhaust.

Without these slight differences you could really say all Golfs are the same.

I thought the GTD was well specced and one of the reasons I went for it.
« Last Edit: 09 January 2011, 08:52 by The Doc »
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline Agreeable Slick

• Global Moderator
  • Serious forum addict
  • Unit
« Reply #6 on: 06 January 2011, 13:30 »
I've been looking at mk5 GT TDI's and most of them are missing what I would think are basic things on them like dual zone climate etc for a car that is meant to be "GT" spec. :undecided:
« Last Edit: 09 January 2011, 08:53 by The Doc »

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 06 January 2011, 13:35 »
No doesn't come with dual zone as that is an extra but then I can't understand VW's ideas when it comes to spec.

No cruise on its flagship models GTI / GTD yet standard on GT same with cornering lights!
You'd think the top of the range would have everything and more extra wise compared to the models below?

Offline Agreeable Slick

• Global Moderator
  • Serious forum addict
  • Unit
« Reply #8 on: 06 January 2011, 13:43 »
This is my gripe with VW.

Top of the line models and yet still having basic equipment that is standard on other manufacturers cars as options which you have to pay for on top of the already premium price. :angry:

Offline flc1962

• Here all the time
« Reply #9 on: 06 January 2011, 14:41 »
Its the MK 6 I have and I whish I had added the dual zone.

I added RDC510 with dynaudio, lux pack. Then added the bluefin. Think that was it. Could have gone for a different make for the same money but I'd never had a golf..