Author Topic: Can anything more go wrong?  (Read 1645 times)

Offline codestud

• Not said much yet
Can anything more go wrong?
« on: 03 July 2022, 12:24 »
My mk6 GTI has 82K miles.

Already this year my air intake manifold has had to be replaced (flaps not opening/closing properly issue and causing the engine management light to come on), and I've broken down on the motorway twice in just a few months.  First time was a blown coil pack, so I replaced all four with uprated APR ones and brand new Iridium spark plugs.  Just a few weeks later I had a full service, and just two days after that a fuel injector has now failed (stuck open) and ruining the brand new engine oil and filter.

My car could have failed at any time on a million visits to the shops or my friend's house, but no, it decided to fail when I really needed it to get to a job interview, and on a piece of motorway that didn't have a hard shoulder (fortunately there was an emergency bay).

Cost - over £1,000 to replace all 4 injectors (and you should really do all 4 at the same time), and that's at an independent.

About 20,000 miles ago I've also had to have the clutch and bearing replaced because of a strange noise, and a rubber seal in the engine due to an oil leak.

Is there anything more that can possibly go wrong with these cars?  Is it time for a new car?
« Last Edit: 03 July 2022, 12:26 by codestud »

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
Re: Can anything more go wrong?
« Reply #1 on: 05 July 2022, 12:51 »
At the end of the day it's an old car with 82k miles on. Things can go wrong with age.
Then again I've had more problems with brand new cars than older ones  :grin:
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline CYPRUSSPARTAN

• Just got here
Re: Can anything more go wrong?
« Reply #2 on: 30 August 2022, 18:33 »
Dude I've been there too. Broken down 3 times, coil packs and some other things. I bought my car and 2 weeks later I needed a new turbo.

I really want to map it but I've been put off