Author Topic: The new Golf R 20 Years edition  (Read 15579 times)

Offline david25

• I live here
The new Golf R 20 Years edition
« on: 04 June 2022, 12:11 »
The anniversary edition sets new power records with its performance values: 245 kW (333 PS).

The power of the new Golf R “20 Years” is already effectively placed centre stage when the vehicle is started. For even more R-feeling, the driver can select an engine start with higher engine speeds of up to 2,500 rpm. This is accompanied by an especially distinctive drive sound. When driving in manual mode, the DSG provides noticeable feedback from the gearbox when shifting up.

The engine responsiveness has been improved by turbocharger preloading and an open throttle valve in overrun phases. This permits faster power development when accelerating, and the Golf R “20 Years” can be driven even more dynamically as a result.

https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/en/new/golf-r-20.html

https://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-germancars/volkswagen-golf-r-20-years-edition-launched/45728
Now = 2011 MK6 GTI - Reflex Silver
Past = 2006 MK5 GTI - Tornado Red and Solid Black

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: The new Golf R 20 Years edition
« Reply #1 on: 04 June 2022, 13:24 »
Is "20 years" how long you'll be waiting for them to make it after you order?
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 04 June 2022, 15:37 »
I’m going to say it. It looks rubbish. Sorry.
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline Brenbo

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 04 June 2022, 17:05 »
I own a Golf R Mk8 with performance pack and have to say the 20 Year Limited Edition Golf R does not float my boat at all.  The standard Golf R is plenty fast at present, there is not a lot of difference to make it worth a look, and personally i think the blue estoril wheels look  :sick:

I also bet it costs close to £50k before options. 

On a different note, i had a fairly gutless, manual, VW Polo courtesy car the other day and have to say driving it short term put a smile on my face almost as much as driving a performance golf.  Could not live with using the polo but it was fun

Offline Kgti8

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 04 June 2022, 18:53 »
The white R with the Blue Estorils is unbelievably tacky for a new car at that money. What were they thinking.
2021 MK8 Manual | Oryx White, Estorils, DCC, Winter Pack, HK, Pan Roof, Rear Camera, Vienna Leather

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 04 June 2022, 20:22 »
The white R with the Blue Estorils is unbelievably tacky for a new car at that money. What were they thinking.

The thinking behind the blue alloys (and door mirror caps) was probably that blue has traditionally been the colour associated with VW’s R branding (e.g. brake calipers, instrumentation, grille strip - there are probably other blue elements too), in the same way that red is the colour associated with the GTI. Thankfully, the GTI ED45 didn’t get red alloys - just a red pinstripe around the rim of the wheels. 

2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 04 June 2022, 22:59 »
Maybe the blue wheels look better in the flesh? I’ve seen a few different styles of German alloys that have coloured anodised sections in recent years.

I’m going out on a limb here and saying I’d actually spec the blue wheels. Why? Because they’re the only thing hinting at it being a special edition car. Yes it has little plaques for the enthusiasts but not much else.

For those speccing up a Golf R they may as well go for the Anni model but it’s definitely one for those with very deep pockets. And that’s not a bad thing for a range topping model.

Vaguely similar to Brenbo’s experience with the Polo, I had an errand to run (ok I was bored) at work so jumped in a hired manual Diesel van to zip a few miles up the road and back. Damn it was fun! I’ve grown extremely lazy with DSG and can’t wait for a decent EV that actually fits my fussy criteria because I just can’t be bothered with cog boxes at all anymore, but I did really enjoy buzzing around in the van with its zippy free revving engine and decent throttle response.
And yes, I did manage to stall it once because I forgot to change gear.  :rolleyes:

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline MaggotsRus

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 05 June 2022, 08:16 »
I’ll gladly stick with my edition 45 in moonstone grey, still looks a stunning car and draws heads above and beyond the R versions. The latest edition R I’m afraid won’t alter anything, just an even more expensive long waited for item. Might be a bit quicker than the 45 but I’m afraid that’s about as good as it gets.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 05 June 2022, 08:29 »
Maybe the blue wheels look better in the flesh? I’ve seen a few different styles of German alloys that have coloured anodised sections in recent years.

I’m going out on a limb here and saying I’d actually spec the blue wheels. Why? Because they’re the only thing hinting at it being a special edition car. Yes it has little plaques for the enthusiasts but not much else.

I’m with you @Exonian - I’d go for the blue alloys too. They are a ‘Marmite’ wheel that will divide opinion - probably much more so than the optional dark grey Seville alloys (with red pinstripe) did that were available on the mk7.5 GTI. Those alloys were heavily criticised by some forum members on the mk7 / mk7.5 forum board at the time, but I liked them………..but then I also really like Marmite :grin:.

Adding the blue alloys makes the Anni model more distinctive - and ‘distinctive’ isn’t a word I’d use to describe a non-Anni R. IMHO unless it’s viewed from the rear, the standard R doesn’t look that different to a ‘normal’ Golf, but then VW are masters at subtlety, and that’s probably what R owners like and want, rather than Honda Civic Type R styling. That’s just my opinion though, and no offence intended to Golf R owners.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #9 on: 05 June 2022, 11:36 »
I also bet it costs close to £50k before options. 

Well if you take a Mk8 R, add PP and leather... its just under 48k.... I'd imagine the extra 13bhp and some stickers will take it to 50 easily.

I'm going to guess its £51,197 before options.

I'd go with the RS3 for that kinda money and I would normally say I'm firmly VW not Audi...

This is absolutely about the "selling premium" thing the German OEM's are doing now...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC