Author Topic: Bonnet adjustment...raised at top of wing  (Read 1442 times)

Offline arinb12

• Just got here
Bonnet adjustment...raised at top of wing
« on: 22 November 2022, 20:06 »
Does anyone know how to adjust the bonnet by the hinge. It protrudes above the wing and is not flush. I can't see how there would be any hinge adjustment to lower it down to match the wing line

Offline joe6

• I live here
Re: Bonnet adjustment...raised at top of wing
« Reply #1 on: 24 November 2022, 09:08 »
There are two bolts that attach the hinges both sides to the body ( not the bonnet bolts). They can be loosened and small adjustments made in height and forwards or backwards. Needs care and assistance or you can make it worse and stop the bonnet lock from operating efficiently! If the bonnet has been off for some reason you may be able to see the previous bolt positions.
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline arinb12

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 24 November 2022, 19:25 »
I don't think there is any adjustment, this is my hinge pictures and a picture when bonnet is closed (side on from the car view)

If I push down on the bonnet there, the hinge closes further and then the line is much better and close to being flush...

Perhaps I need a new hinge because it doesn't close fully unless pushed down?

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 28 November 2022, 22:35 »
Yes, sorry, my mistake. Picked up an old vauxhall manual instead of the golf. Can't see any adjustment either for height at the hinge end. Does it fit correctly across the car under the windscreen as not clear from the photo? Is the problem both sides? Wondered if it has been repaired and not aligned correctly? Has it had a new wing? Could be incorrect hinges for the car but I would not expect a lot of wear on the hinge mechanism that affected the height significantly as they do not get a lot of use normally. Best of luck getting it sorted.
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #4 on: 29 November 2022, 07:54 »
I'm guessing there is some sort of adjustment as vw use to have big issues with cars arriving to dealers from the factory with misalighned bonnets.
This though looks far worse. It hasn't had a accident has it? As the top edge of the bonnet may have those type of hinge that pop up and lift the rear of the bonnet etc to help with head impacts. You often see modified Japanese cars with the hinged lifted that way.
I would try lubricating it with wd40 and see if it's just sticking first. They do have a habit of going stiff which could also cause this.
« Last Edit: 29 November 2022, 07:55 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.