Author Topic: Service plan transfer with sale?  (Read 2038 times)

Offline LSBristol

• Not said much yet
Service plan transfer with sale?
« on: 10 January 2022, 17:50 »
I bought my 3 year old gti in Dec 2020 and as part of the user car purchase I got a 2 year service plan which included a major and a minor service.

The first service was done in Sep 21 and I wasn't charged. I've just looked again at the "Service history certificate" pdf I requested when I bought it (RIP physical service records) and noticed the car had a four year service plan from new provided by VWFS. The service I just had fell within the dates of the plan and would have been the fourth service from new.

Question is - will the original service plan have been scrapped and replaced by the 2 year one I was given, or does it transfer and will the fourth service have been allocated to the old plan leaving me with 2 services left on the new plan.

My gut feel is it's too good to be true and they likely either scrap the old plan when the car is sold, or they'll say the service plans overlap so I "lose" one of the services.

Anybody got any ideas? Aware the easiest way to find out is ring the dealer up but thought I'd ask here quickly.
mk7.5 non-PP, Indium Grey, manual

TCR backbox
Bola B16 19" in crystal sylver
DTUK pedalbox+

Offline willni

• I live here
Re: Service plan transfer with sale?
« Reply #1 on: 10 January 2022, 17:59 »
The services plans are with the owner of the car and the car itself. So the owner can't service a different car under the plan and the new owner of the car can't service the car under the original plan.

So the 4 year service plan will have been scrapped and replaced by your 2 year.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline LSBristol

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 10 January 2022, 18:06 »
Thought that might be the case. Didn't expect anything else really! Thanks.

TCR backbox
DTUK pedalbox+

Offline darrent

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 10 January 2022, 18:17 »
The services plans are with the owner of the car and the car itself. So the owner can't service a different car under the plan and the new owner of the car can't service the car under the original plan.

Is that right? I bought my car when it was just over a year old the previous owner had purchased a 2 yr plan from new I got the 2nd service free.
I would've said the supplying dealer, if it was VW, should've known this. Only thing I can think of is the old plan was on a direct debit and was just cancelled.
Although going off my dealings with VW service in the past month anything could have happened :rolleyes:

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 10 January 2022, 18:35 »

Is that right? I bought my car when it was just over a year old the previous owner had purchased a 2 yr plan from new I got the 2nd service free.
I would've said the supplying dealer, if it was VW, should've known this. Only thing I can think of is the old plan was on a direct debit and was just cancelled.
Although going off my dealings with VW service in the past month anything could have happened :rolleyes:

If a previous owner has paid in full for the service plan and there is / are still unused services under the plan, the new owner gets the benefit of those services, provided VWFS have been advised of the change of car owner and agree to transfer the service plan to the new owner. So it was correct that you were able to use the 2nd service under the plan attached to the car you purchased - presumably the VW dealer advises VWFS of the change of owner when they sell a used car with an existing VW service plan.

This is what the small print in my service plan says with regard to transfer of ownership of the service plan;

Transfer of ownership
(a) You may assign this Agreement to any subsequent owners of the Vehicle for the Contract Period provided that You pay all the payments shown on this document before the Agreement is assigned. Once all payments have been received we will agree to the assigning of the Agreement providing that You advise Us in writing following the transfer of ownership and that the purchaser of the Vehicle agrees in writing to Us to be bound by the terms and conditions of this Agreement in every way .
(b) The Agreement is not transferable to another vehicle.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline LSBristol

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 10 January 2022, 18:43 »
The plot thickens. Have emailed local dealer to see if they can look the agreement numbers or numberplate up and see what's what. Thanks all!

TCR backbox
DTUK pedalbox+

Offline darrent

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 10 January 2022, 20:08 »

If a previous owner has paid in full for the service plan and there is / are still unused services under the plan, the new owner gets the benefit of those services, provided VWFS have been advised of the change of car owner and agree to transfer the service plan to the new owner. So it was correct that you were able to use the 2nd service under the plan attached to the car you purchased - presumably the VW dealer advises VWFS of the change of owner when they sell a used car with an existing VW service plan.

This is what the small print in my service plan says with regard to transfer of ownership of the service plan;

Transfer of ownership
(a) You may assign this Agreement to any subsequent owners of the Vehicle for the Contract Period provided that You pay all the payments shown on this document before the Agreement is assigned. Once all payments have been received we will agree to the assigning of the Agreement providing that You advise Us in writing following the transfer of ownership and that the purchaser of the Vehicle agrees in writing to Us to be bound by the terms and conditions of this Agreement in every way .
(b) The Agreement is not transferable to another vehicle.

Can't remember doing anything in particular but I bought my car from a Mini dealer so not sure how it stacks up now unless it just automatically gets flagged up but that doesn't make sense as to what's happened in the OPs case???

Offline Rudedog

• Here all the time
« Reply #7 on: 10 January 2022, 21:27 »
When I tried to buy my 2 year service plan online on my one year old car it kept saying I couldn't as service plan was already in place.... the dealer said otherwise and insisted that the plan died with the sale of the car... I think they might have been fibbing.
2019 Golf GTi PP DSG, Isaac Blue.

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 10 January 2022, 21:34 »
That's strange I when I sold my one of my previous golf's they wouldn't acknowledge the transfer and said it was just gone.  :sad:
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 11 January 2022, 08:42 »
Had no problem transferring the one service left on a plan to the new owner of my scirocco. It is up to the seller to initiate the process as SRGT has quoted in the regs.
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.