Author Topic: 2023 Mk8 facelift rumours already?  (Read 18397 times)

Offline Splashalot

• Here all the time
Re: 2023 Mk8 facelift rumours already?
« Reply #10 on: 09 January 2022, 01:00 »

VW didn't really play around much with the Mk7.5 over the Mk7, most of the improvements are tech based and are compatible to a degree between the two cars. However they've just done a big upgrade of the T-Roc interior as lots of people criticised the original cheap feeling interior.

To my mind, it's a no-brainer to redesign the Golf's dash/UI.  The 8 obviously drives really well - better than the 7/7.5 by all reports.  Yet the 8's UI has deterred a lot of Golf owners from upgrading to the new one (I'm one).  There would obviously be cost incurred in redesigning the dash, but what is the ongoing benefit to VW of maintaining existing Golf customers and attracting new ones otherwise put off by the digitalisation?  Greater than the cost, I'd bet.

As for facelift timelines, I don't think previous examples are all that relevant in this case.  If Golf 8 sales tank enough, VW may well be forced to act.

Having said all that from a logical perspective, I personally don't think they will, for the reasons Fred outlined above.  They're more likely to let the Golf wither and put more resources into development of the ID line.  Risky strategy though, to my mind. 

« Last Edit: 09 January 2022, 01:04 by Splashalot »
1972 Turquoise Superbug S; 1978 Miami Blue Golf GLS; 2007 Mk5 Tornado Red Golf GTI; 2017 Golf 7.5 Trendline Tungsten Silver 1.4ltr 110TSi with DAP; 2018 Tornado Red GTI with DAP.  All MT.  Current: 2021 Mini Cooper SE, British racing green.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #11 on: 09 January 2022, 05:32 »
It's more risky not to pour your money into electric. If nations weren't about to ban ice it would be different. If it was just a consumer choice... But it's not.

You have to remember vw are/were the largest car maker in the world... They won't want to be seen to their investors as falling to someone else more capable of adaptation. Although I think they probably will...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 09 January 2022, 09:37 »
Most of the problems are software related. I don't think there's really any need for a wholesale redesign of the dash.

I don't expect them to go backwards and start reintroducing buttons, the whole point of this UI was to get people ready for digitalisation and the transition to electric vehicles. Once the Golf is gone (be it a Mk8 or a Mk9) the choice will be an ID or another brand.

Last time I checked the EU was proposing to ban ICE in 2035. There are some specific cities and regions that have stated 2030, but the EU as a whole is currently 2035. By then the Mk8 will have been around for 16 years.

« Last Edit: 09 January 2022, 13:04 by Guzzle »
7.5 GTD

Offline Rudedog

• Here all the time
« Reply #13 on: 09 January 2022, 10:53 »
I just don't understand the assumption that going 'electric' means no buttons?

Can anyone shed some light on this?

It's by no means a given that it has to be like this.... look at the fully electric cars from Porsche and Audi.... plenty of quality buttons still in there.

2019 Golf GTi PP DSG, Isaac Blue.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #14 on: 09 January 2022, 12:46 »
I think I remember seeing at some point the Kia EV6 has a rotary control that works both the climate and volume at the behest of the driver. That sounds like a simple compromise.

I can see VW making the sliders on the iPad unit backlit but, similar to Fred, I’d be very surprised if they did a major redesign on the Golf any time soon.

There’s a Skoda Enyaq appeared in my works car park in the last month or so and that definitely looks more traditional control wise than VW’s ID models (and Golf) despite being an MEB car.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 09 January 2022, 13:14 »
The Enyaq has a few extra buttons over the ID3 / ID4 in the same way the Octavia has a few more buttons than the Golf. But it isn't radically different in the way it operates.
7.5 GTD

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #16 on: 09 January 2022, 13:22 »
The whole "no buttons" thing is just out of control Internet crap tbh.

I have zero problems with operation of the interface other than software glitches. If it ever gets fixed, it's fine.

Honestly it's just some idiot reviewers.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #17 on: 09 January 2022, 13:34 »
Agreed.

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #18 on: 09 January 2022, 13:50 »
Although I still prefer some buttons and rotary controllers.

The steering wheel haptics are similar to iPhone in feel. I don’t like them in either. Both do the job well but aren’t pleasant to use.
A nicely damped proper button is much more tactile.
However most manufacturers are going the haptic pad route.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Rudedog

• Here all the time
« Reply #19 on: 09 January 2022, 16:16 »
Yes but why???

We have well sorted and functioning buttons on the dash/steering wheel of the Mk7.5 so why change? What's the driver behind it? Is it an improvement? because many on here don't think so but seem to have excepted it as 'the way forward'.

So if all mechanical keyboards were removed from laptops and desktops would that be seen as the way forward?  I certainly couldn't type as fast/accurately on a touch screen.
2019 Golf GTi PP DSG, Isaac Blue.