Author Topic: Brakes and main dealers  (Read 3965 times)

Offline Fisher2022

• Not said much yet
Re: Brakes and main dealers
« Reply #20 on: 10 January 2022, 20:05 »
Honestly, both of my mk7's did it sometimes and my mk8 does it too.

Not every time but quite often.

Always did, from new occasionally.

I'm sure other people will tell you the same...

The technician at VW Warrington didn't say that though

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #21 on: 10 January 2022, 20:24 »
I honestly can't believe anyone who has driven a mk7 for any length of time hasn't experienced it...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Dave1rs

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #22 on: 10 January 2022, 20:27 »
I get the loud clunk on my mk8 occasionally,just the brakes binding…quite normal I’d say.

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #23 on: 10 January 2022, 20:27 »
Mine will do that the morning after I’ve washed it. Almost always.

If you’ve not noticed a problem with the braking, honestly I wouldn’t worry about it.

I think if you feel there is a problem, you will have to give the supplying dealer opportunity to investigate.

I’ve had my car 3 years- and in that time have been wrongly advised to replace parts on 2 occasions- once i was advised I needed a new clutch ( and that it wasn’t covered under warranty)- when all that was required was gear linkage adjustment, and recently the dealer advised I needed 2 new tyres- I still haven’t been able to find the 2 “ cuts” that the technician found- and neither did the MOT tester I took it to immediately afterwards.

Could be misdiagnosis, could be difference opinion/ judgment- in truth, they are heavily incentivised to replace as much stuff as they can- so they often do so when work isn’t needed.

I wouldn’t trust them at all.
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline darrent

• Not said much yet
« Reply #24 on: 11 January 2022, 09:37 »
I honestly can't believe anyone who has driven a mk7 for any length of time hasn't experienced it...
Mine does it especially after a wash if I just leave it but sometimes does after it's been raining. Certainly seems more notceable than other autohandbrake cars I've had.

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #25 on: 11 January 2022, 09:46 »
Mine does it especially after a wash if I just leave it but sometimes does after it's been raining. Certainly seems more notceable than other autohandbrake cars I've had.

I have noticed this after a wash as well. Having a manual, I now put it in the garage and leave it in gear with the handbrake off. Not had the problem since.
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline madstaff

• I live here
« Reply #26 on: 11 January 2022, 10:05 »

I have noticed this after a wash as well. Having a manual, I now put it in the garage and leave it in gear with the handbrake off. Not had the problem since.

Yep, same here, its just the disc rusting after a wash and sticking to the pads, every car with rear discs ive had has done it.
Should be ok if you rotate, read move the car, soon after a wash.
Problems can arise when you wash it and leave for an extended period of time where the "bond" becomes strong and could lead to damage, ie, the pad material being pulled off the backing plate, or the rust causes an area of the disc to become quite rusty where the pads been in contact and you may experience some judder.
2017 Clubsport Edition 40 #706.

Urano grey, 3 Door, Manual, Recaros, Brescias, DCC, Nav Pro, Black roof & tints.

Offline coolhandluke123

• Not said much yet
« Reply #27 on: 11 January 2022, 10:32 »
I'm gonna be leaving mine parked up for 10 days in June. When I had a manual hand brake I would put the the car in gear and leave it off. I'm thinking I should put the DSG in P and switch the auto brake off. Any thoughts?

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #28 on: 11 January 2022, 11:10 »
I'm gonna be leaving mine parked up for 10 days in June. When I had a manual hand brake I would put the the car in gear and leave it off. I'm thinking I should put the DSG in P and switch the auto brake off. Any thoughts?

Bilt Hamber - Auto Mac at 5% strength helps stop brake discs from oxidising, I use it during washes and it does work and is safe for disc and pads, started to use if I know the car will sit for a few days at home with the recent salt on the roads as well.

If you're driving to the airport you'll be fine, unless it's right by the sea. Plus from memory I think I read on a post on here you should do Auto Brake then put the DSG into park so it's not resting on gearbox don't know why though, I'd always park in gear in a manual car and had no issues.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #29 on: 11 January 2022, 14:17 »

That'll be fine if you're parked on flat ground. You don't want to stress the pin (?) in the gearbox.