Author Topic: Brakes and main dealers  (Read 3957 times)

Offline Yusee

• I live here
Re: Brakes and main dealers
« Reply #10 on: 08 January 2022, 01:15 »
Warranty is irrelevant in these scenarios.

You have specific consumer rights irrespective of what the warranty says.

If a dealer sells you a £25k car, you should not need to spend another £1200 within weeks of buying it in order make it roadworthy.

In your position I would dump the car back at the Birmingham dealer and tell them to sort it out or give my money back.

I also think the Manchester dealer is talking rubbish.

There’s never incentive to properly investigate and resolve a problem, they just advise unnecessary work and expense.
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 08 January 2022, 09:31 »
Actually Yusee raises a fair point.

I would put the warranty to one side for now and pursue a repair under your consumer rights.

The dealer you bought the car from can't just say there was no problem when they sold you the car, they have to prove this.

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/the-car-i-bought-has-a-problem-what-are-my-rights-aAnMC5b0ZzJb

7.5 GTD

Offline Lordie

• Here all the time
« Reply #12 on: 08 January 2022, 11:41 »
I'd also be seeking help from Consumer Advice/Trading Standards/Citizens Advice if they refuse to budge. I would recommend collecting up as much evidence as possible in writing. If you local garage is on your side as much as you say, get them to email you or write a letter confirming that the car should not have been sold to you with brakes that bad and it should've been picked on before sale.

Obviously this is a worst case scenario but it's worth gathering stuff up now while you can.... just in case

My GTi needed new brake lines after 12 months because the garage fitted them wrong and they were rubbing, obviously you don't mess around with brakes so they had to be replaced. Cost something like £150 and I regret not pushing harder to get the money back. I emailed the garage and they ignored me, so just left a 1 star review instead

Offline mb

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #13 on: 08 January 2022, 15:22 »
Got my car in December 20 at 9 months old. Early in January last year I noticed heavy marking on one of the rear discs. Took the car to an indie down the road who said it will need new rear discs and pads. I took the car into my local VW which is the same group as where I got the car from. I asked them to inspect it and let me know what they find. The service manager came back quite quickly with the pad that had a huge chunk missing which was scoring the disc. Told him I'd only had the car a month and must of been like that when I bought it.

He took photos etc and said would ring the other dealer to see if it can be repaired. I was expecting to have to ring the dealer I bought the car from and have a right good moan but surprisingly got a call saying it will be repaired under warranty.

Doesn't really help the OP but there are some decent dealers out there. I also found a big scuff on the front bumper which they repaired. No idea how everyone missed it when viewing the car!

Offline watchdog

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #14 on: 08 January 2022, 18:26 »
Feel for you mate. My car bought from new from Inchcape 3 years ago suffered an oil leak at 2300 miles and the Inchcape VW at Bolton (shocking company to deal with) tried every trick in the book in cutting corners to correct the problem.  They had 3 attempts in trying to correct and only conceded in replacing the gearbox for new when i started to cause a fuss / VW twitter feeds.
Keep at it with them and make a fuss.
Good luck

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 09 January 2022, 16:03 »
Rather than start a new thread, does anyone know the exact part number for the solid rear discs for the non performance pack GTI (2018) with 230ps, along with the matching pads please ? I believe the discs are 300mm diameter ?

Im looking to possibly replace them as since before Christmas my discs look like this at the back and no amount of braking seems to clear them up, so I’m thinking the pads must have picked up some debris ? Shame is the pads as loads of life left in them as per second pic., and just a few months ago, the whole swept surface of the disc was nice and shiny with no grooves at all (as per 3rd pic)

« Last Edit: 09 January 2022, 16:17 by Sootchucker »
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline Fisher2022

• Not said much yet
« Reply #16 on: 10 January 2022, 13:16 »
Rather than start a new thread, does anyone know the exact part number for the solid rear discs for the non performance pack GTI (2018) with 230ps, along with the matching pads please ? I believe the discs are 300mm diameter ?

Im looking to possibly replace them as since before Christmas my discs look like this at the back and no amount of braking seems to clear them up, so I’m thinking the pads must have picked up some debris ? Shame is the pads as loads of life left in them as per second pic., and just a few months ago, the whole swept surface of the disc was nice and shiny with no grooves at all (as per 3rd pic)

Do me a favour pal and stick this in a new thread.  I want to keep this one about the issues I'm having so that everyone can see and I can reference it back to VW, or whoever, I might need to

Cheers

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #17 on: 10 January 2022, 14:43 »
Coming back to this problem...

The loud clunk.... was it when you pulled away first thing pulling away from your house after not using the car over night or for a few days?

That is usually the rear calipers releasing after having been rusted onto the discs over night - hot brakes and damp conditions causes oxidisation. The handbrake leaves the brakes engaged on the rear when you park...

If it wasn't a first thing, then its something else.

But brake seizing like that is perfectly normal for the reasons I desribe above. Its not even harmful, just a bit of a loud noise!
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Fisher2022

• Not said much yet
« Reply #18 on: 10 January 2022, 19:48 »
Coming back to this problem...

The loud clunk.... was it when you pulled away first thing pulling away from your house after not using the car over night or for a few days?

That is usually the rear calipers releasing after having been rusted onto the discs over night - hot brakes and damp conditions causes oxidisation. The handbrake leaves the brakes engaged on the rear when you park...

If it wasn't a first thing, then its something else.

But brake seizing like that is perfectly normal for the reasons I desribe above. Its not even harmful, just a bit of a loud noise!

Yes but I'm not convinced you're right.   This is the 4th car I've had with an auto handbrake and never had the same before

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #19 on: 10 January 2022, 19:59 »
Honestly, both of my mk7's did it sometimes and my mk8 does it too.

Not every time but quite often.

Always did, from new occasionally.

I'm sure other people will tell you the same...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC