Author Topic: Help with servicing cost please  (Read 1532 times)

Offline trueblue_ips

• GTI forum regular
Help with servicing cost please
« on: 28 December 2021, 12:17 »
Hi, my Golf R is due its second minor service at 24 months.
I’ve been quoted £250 plus another £45 for a pollen filter change. So nearly £300 for what is effectively an oil change.
Does this seem right?

The VW site quotes £184 for a minor service but that is for cars over 3 years old. I can’t find any pricing for cars less than three years old.

Thanks

Offline trueblue_ips

• GTI forum regular
Re: Help with servicing cost please
« Reply #1 on: 28 December 2021, 12:29 »
In VW speak, it’s not a minor service. It’s a second service they refer to it as.

Offline trueblue_ips

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 28 December 2021, 12:32 »
Ok, looking on other forums what I’ve been quoted seems about right.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 28 December 2021, 13:34 »
If your car’s on annual (time and distance) servicing, then services alternate from minor (oil and filter change) to major (oil, filter and inspection), so the second service at the sooner of 2 years / 10k miles is a major one.

As you’ve said, prices on VW’s website are for cars over three years old. However, I wouldn’t expect the prices for cars under three years to be that much different. £354 is the price shown for a major service, so if you’ve been quoted £300 (by a VW dealer?), then it’s probably at the lower end of what you could expect to pay.

IMO the most cost effective VW dealer servicing is to buy a service plan when ordering the car. I paid £199 for a service plan covering the first two services when I ordered my car early last year. The price has increased now to £269, but still much cheaper that it is if you pay as you go (minor service £184, major service £354, total £538). When the car gets to three years old, it’s worth considering VW’s All-in product (two services, two years warranty, two MOT’s and two years roadside assistance) for £33.45 per month.

https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/en/owners-and-drivers/servicing/service-plans/all-in.html
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Online Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 28 December 2021, 13:41 »
Or go to a reputable independent post 3 years.
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline My other womans a vw.

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 02 January 2022, 09:17 »
As above,that’s what I’ll be doing.

Offline Ibdrew

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 02 January 2022, 12:32 »
I also recommend searching for local independent for alternative quote,
I was quoted £360 for a major service by my local dealers, car is a 2014 gti pp with 41,000mls, the car has always been serviced by vw previously, I’ve just had it serviced by a local independent ( autohaus Dolby ) in Sheffield £219 including pollen filter, great customer service, the car won’t be going back to the main dealers again.

Online Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 02 January 2022, 13:48 »
I paid £666 for a full 3 year service and MOT  (including plugs and brake fluid change) plus a DSG service and a Haldex service (including a filter flush). Main dealer would  have been over £1k. In addition, speaking to the actual guy who works on your car is priceless.
Electronic Service Records updated, full print out provided with a separate notification of all work carried out. All parts VW.
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline Rudedog

• Here all the time
« Reply #8 on: 02 January 2022, 22:21 »
You'll going to have to help me with some of those items on a three year old car (mines going to be hitting that one in March).

So DSG oil change (no filter) is at 80k miles.

(Yet to see if the VAQ service is mentioned).

Plugs on a three year old car? Can I ask how many miles you've done?

This is what pees me off is how each dealer seems to follow a slightly different plan..

2019 Golf GTi PP DSG, Isaac Blue.

Online Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 03 January 2022, 10:20 »
Nothing to do with a dealer, it’s a local independent.
The LSD and DSG Service where my own request for piece of mind. Manufacturers will push service intervals to a limit to avoid servicing costs.
My mileage is tiny and I do plan to keep the GTI for a long time. You pays your money, you takes your choice.

I had Discovery 4 from new for nearly 9 years and did some serious miles on it, JLR’s service schedule compared to the actual component manufacturer’s recommendations where miles apart (i.e the Borg Warner auto box) - I always went with the component manufacturer’s recommended schedule.