Author Topic: Worthy upgrade?  (Read 5133 times)

Offline madstaff

• I live here
Re: Worthy upgrade?
« Reply #30 on: 30 December 2021, 22:41 »
From memory, so don’t shoot me if I’m wrong, the T-Roc R has similar 340mm two piece discs to the CSS and TCR except they’re not drilled.
Lightweight bells mated to non-drilled discs.

These, that i linked to in another thread??

Or these, basically Clubsport S non-drilled??  - https://www.vagbremtechnic.com/genuine-mqb-340x30mm-front-discs-semi-2-piece-plain-pair-5q0615301p/
2017 Clubsport Edition 40 #706.

Urano grey, 3 Door, Manual, Recaros, Brescias, DCC, Nav Pro, Black roof & tints.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #31 on: 30 December 2021, 23:19 »
:afro: that looks to be it madstaff
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline madstaff

• I live here
« Reply #32 on: 30 December 2021, 23:23 »
:afro: that looks to be it madstaff

Thought they were. 👍

Urano grey, 3 Door, Manual, Recaros, Brescias, DCC, Nav Pro, Black roof & tints.

Offline golfdave

• Here all the time
« Reply #33 on: 31 December 2021, 09:08 »
From memory, so don’t shoot me if I’m wrong, the T-Roc R has similar 340mm two piece discs to the CSS and TCR except they’re not drilled.
Lightweight bells mated to non-drilled discs.

They are the same "blank" disc cast as used on the CSS.....so they'll still have the same problems!

Offline oryx3dr

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #34 on: 31 December 2021, 12:03 »
The thing is though, for your average road use they'll probably never be a real problem I wouldn't have thought. Unless you're really pushing it on track then they might have issues.
Current - 2020 Black Golf GTI Performance Pack DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Climate Windscreen, Brescia's
Sold - 2017 MK7 Oryx White 3dr GTI
Sold - 2019 Up GTI

Offline clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #35 on: 31 December 2021, 12:21 »
The thing is though, for your average road use they'll probably never be a real problem I wouldn't have thought. Unless you're really pushing it on track then they might have issues.

I agree, but for many modifications are a way of life, badge of honour, even if they are not really necessary.... It's the owners car, so as long as the mods arelegal, why not.

If you take a standard car on track, the best modification you can do is upgrade the brake fluid from Dot 4 to Dot 5.
Once you get too much heat into the discs via the pads and calipers you can start to boil regular Dot 4, the Dot 5 has a higher boiling point. The boiling of fluid is apparent by a softer brake pedal and less braking efficiency.
The downside to Dot 5 is it is more hygroscopic (absords moisture), so the service interval is sooner and costs more than Dot4.

The other issue with heat is the less pad material you have remaining, the less effective this is at dissipating heat, so this adds to the potential problems.
A PP/R/Cs/CSS braking system with enough metal and compound on the pads should be fine on UK roads even with spirited driving, it's only when you get below, say, 25% remaining life, does the heat issue suddenly become more of a potential issue.

Of course there will be heroes out there who can ruin a set of discs and pads before they get to the end of their road? :)

Offline baka

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #36 on: 31 December 2021, 14:30 »
Just to clarify, you mean DOT 5.1

DO NOT put DOT 5 brake fluid in your system, It's based on silicone, not ethylene glycol, and is completely incompatible.

Offline clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #37 on: 31 December 2021, 15:26 »
Yes Dot 5.1 will mix with the standard fitment Dot4...
I have 2 cars running on Dot 5, whuich was opportune at the time of renewing brake systems.

Offline madstaff

• I live here
« Reply #38 on: 31 December 2021, 15:40 »
Castrol SRF is the ultimate brake fluid with a dry boiling point around 320°c.

Not cheap at £50 a litre though.

Offline oryx3dr

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #39 on: 19 January 2022, 18:45 »
Just wanting to try and restart a bit of conversation here but I've got the chance to buy a 5dr red TCR with some good options. Would that be a silly move in the current market or am I looking at a potential future classic?
Current - 2020 Black Golf GTI Performance Pack DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Climate Windscreen, Brescia's
Sold - 2017 MK7 Oryx White 3dr GTI
Sold - 2019 Up GTI