Author Topic: Worthy upgrade?  (Read 5141 times)

Offline oryx3dr

• GTI forum regular
Worthy upgrade?
« on: 27 December 2021, 21:48 »
Is it worth going from a standard Mk7 GTI with a few mods to a low mileage 7.5 PP?
Current - 2020 Black Golf GTI Performance Pack DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Climate Windscreen, Brescia's
Sold - 2017 MK7 Oryx White 3dr GTI
Sold - 2019 Up GTI

Offline Toppy

• Not said much yet
Re: Worthy upgrade?
« Reply #1 on: 27 December 2021, 22:34 »
Like most things it’s subjective but i did that and didn’t regret it at all. I did go from a manual to a DSG and i am not sure i would of changed to another manual at that point as my MK 7 was just 2 years old
Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 27 December 2021, 22:39 »
A good few upgrades in technology plus a decent increase in power but, it just depends on what you want. Perhaps the way to look at it is what don't you like about your MK7? And will that be fixed by changing and are you happy with what it'll cost to do it?
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline oryx3dr

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 27 December 2021, 23:10 »
A good few upgrades in technology plus a decent increase in power but, it just depends on what you want. Perhaps the way to look at it is what don't you like about your MK7? And will that be fixed by changing and are you happy with what it'll cost to do it?

I'm at 53k now on my Mk7, it does have a Stage 1 and a CSS back box which I do love. I'm just wondering if it's really worth it for the diff, virtual dash and even the 7 speed tbh.
Current - 2020 Black Golf GTI Performance Pack DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Climate Windscreen, Brescia's
Sold - 2019 Up GTI

Offline baka

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 28 December 2021, 00:26 »
I think a lot of it will be down to your own taste and expectations.

I'd pay not to have a virtual dash, the new centre screen is nice, but that can be retrofitted pretty easily. And the diff, if you like to get on the power early out of corners and have it tighten your line, rather than understeer, I can highly recommend it.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 28 December 2021, 10:11 »
I'm at 53k now on my Mk7, it does have a Stage 1 and a CSS back box which I do love. I'm just wondering if it's really worth it for the diff, virtual dash and even the 7 speed tbh.

How about getting a proper mechanical lsd fitted? Sounds like you are happy with your car and just have that itch to do something. Iirc, TR Hamza had an lsd fitted to his MK7, have a look on youtube. He's got a project MK7 that he's modding, might give you a few ideas and help you scratch that itch....
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 28 December 2021, 11:09 »
You've a nice example, I wouldn't be trading up for a 7.5, really you're trading for the performance pack and the facelift bodykit since you've the 7.5 radio already.

Bigger brakes and a Quaife / Wavetrac LSD would cost you a whole lot less that upgrading.

That being said here's a very very tasty Clubsport, I'd happily sell my car for but too much effort.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202112050238295?postcode=bt275pr&sort=mileage&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=Used&include-delivery-option=on&aggregatedTrim=GTI%20Clubsport%2040&radius=1500&model=Golf&advertising-location=at_cars&make=Volkswagen&page=1
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline oryx3dr

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 28 December 2021, 14:22 »

How about getting a proper mechanical lsd fitted? Sounds like you are happy with your car and just have that itch to do something. Iirc, TR Hamza had an lsd fitted to his MK7, have a look on youtube. He's got a project MK7 that he's modding, might give you a few ideas and help you scratch that itch....

I have been following his build and tbh that's what's really swaying me toward keeping it. I think you're right, it's just that "itch" to have something new.
Sold - 2019 Up GTI

Offline oryx3dr

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 28 December 2021, 14:23 »
You've a nice example, I wouldn't be trading up for a 7.5, really you're trading for the performance pack and the facelift bodykit since you've the 7.5 radio already.

Bigger brakes and a Quaife / Wavetrac LSD would cost you a whole lot less that upgrading.

That being said here's a very very tasty Clubsport, I'd happily sell my car for but too much effort.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202112050238295?postcode=bt275pr&sort=mileage&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=Used&include-delivery-option=on&aggregatedTrim=GTI%20Clubsport%2040&radius=1500&model=Golf&advertising-location=at_cars&make=Volkswagen&page=1

That Clubsport is very tempting but it's almost exactly the same as my current car, it does make me feel inspired to do a few more Clubsport retrofits however. Perhaps starting with that steering wheel  :laugh:
Sold - 2019 Up GTI

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 28 December 2021, 15:02 »

That Clubsport is very tempting but it's almost exactly the same as my current car, it does make me feel inspired to do a few more Clubsport retrofits however. Perhaps starting with that steering wheel  :laugh:

I just had my steering wheel redone, it makes a massive difference. Just makes the car feel newer!
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/