Author Topic: Servicing Questions  (Read 5747 times)

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
Servicing Questions
« on: 23 December 2021, 14:45 »
In years past, the service books for new cars used to tell you exactly what was required at each service, however I can't seem to find this information (especially since VW stopped providing service books).

I know somethings are pretty obviously i.e. year 1 Minor service, Year 2 Major Service, Year 3 minor etc., and that a minor service is basically engine oil and filter and a quick check.

But does anyone know definitely what the VW recommended maintenance interval is on the below please ? (for reference it's a DSG 230PS MK7.5 GTI with the older 6 speed box (not the new 7 speed)) and is it limited to time or miles ?
  • Spark Plugs
  • Pollen Filter
  • Fuel Filter (if one exists)
  • Brake fluid change (I think this is after 3 years then every 2 years after that ?)
  • DSG Transmission oil change
  • Air Con re-gas
  • Air Filter
  • Serpentine belt
  • Cam belt (I'm pretty sure the GTI engine has a chain not a belt so this might be moot ?)
  • Transmission oil change (or is this covered in the DSG oil change above ?)
  • Any other major service items I've missed ?
Thanks in advanced.
« Last Edit: 23 December 2021, 15:00 by Sootchucker »
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline madstaff

• I live here
Re: Servicing Questions
« Reply #1 on: 23 December 2021, 15:03 »
Maybe have a look here in the service manual, it doesn't specifically list the intervals for the European market but should give you some idea.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sw7num4cj38jehs/2017%20VW%20Golf%20GTI%20Manuals.zip?dl=0
2017 Clubsport Edition 40 #706.

Urano grey, 3 Door, Manual, Recaros, Brescias, DCC, Nav Pro, Black roof & tints.

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 23 December 2021, 15:15 »
The difference between a minor and major service is- in my view- a bit vague.

This is the best resource I’ve come across to clarify what actually needs doing- and at what interval-

https://www.shopdap.com/blog/post/service-schedule-for-mk7-5-gti-2018-2019.html

2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline madstaff

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 23 December 2021, 15:21 »
Air filter at 60K!! Id be doing that every oil change for what the cost of a filter is.

No fuel filter.

No cam belt, chain driven.

DSG/Transmission oil are the same thing, VAQ diff if fitted is 30k or 3 years IIRC.
2017 Clubsport Edition 40 #706.

Urano grey, 3 Door, Manual, Recaros, Brescias, DCC, Nav Pro, Black roof & tints.

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 23 December 2021, 16:34 »
Air filter at 60K!! Id be doing that every oil change for what the cost of a filter is.

Cheap and easy to do is one thing. Whether necessary is a different question entirely.

Actually, that’s what most main dealer servicing is- replace stuff that doesn’t need replacement at cost to the customer.
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline golfdave

• Here all the time

Offline watchdog

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 23 December 2021, 18:34 »
From New, 28 December 2018 i took out a Inchcape 2 year service plan which included 2 services both for minor services, both of which i have received.
Just recently, i took out a further 2 year plan but this time direct with VW which included a minor service and a major service, one of which (Minor service) i have received just this week. The car is 3 years old on the 28th of this month which means its had 3 minor services in 3 years. I questioned this direct with VW asking if this was correct and should the car have received a major service at the 3 year service. I also asked them if they could confirm what's exactly included within the major service.
Their response confirmed the major service should be carried out at the 4 year interval based on my current mileage (18000 now) and would include;
Oil and filter change.
Replace Pollen filter.
Replace air filter.
Replace spark plugs.
Check Brakes.
Check/adjust/ tension all drive belts.
Check gearbox oil level.
Final drive level
Vehicle inspection including lights, instruments, bodywork, glass, locks, battery, coolant, suspension and exhaust systems.
Full vehicle road test and diagnostic check and full report.

Hopefully they will do all they say they will as 4 years for some of these items makes me a little nervous.

Offline skippy

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 07 January 2022, 15:54 »
Hello folks,

Just continuing Sootchuckers servicing thread. Today I had my 2 year service on my MK7.5 GTI.

Please bear in mind my car has only covered 5.5K miles from new in that 2 years!  :shocked:

I was offered the almost standard A/C re-gas which I politely declined, but what did surprise me, they offered to do an engine oil flush prior to the main engine oil being refilled!

I declined this also, I have never been asked this before, but I would not expect a 2 year old car to need an engine flush to remove 'gunge' etc. Is this just another money spinner, much like the brake fluid (not offered BTW)!

Any of you folk been offered this 'service'?  The cost would have been £39.

MK7.5 2020, Isaac Blue, standard spec

Gone but certainly not forgotten Candy White Scirocco 2.0 TSI

Offline Aparat

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 08 January 2022, 21:39 »
I have been offered this service before and told them to proceed with the flush .... :undecided:
« Last Edit: 08 January 2022, 21:46 by Aparat »

Offline skippy

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 08 January 2022, 22:41 »
I have been offered this service before and told them to proceed with the flush .... :undecided:

What did they charge you if you don't mind me asking Aparat? My quote was £39, do you think there is any tangible benefit having this work done?
MK7.5 2020, Isaac Blue, standard spec

Gone but certainly not forgotten Candy White Scirocco 2.0 TSI