Author Topic: Darkened rear lights  (Read 3691 times)

Offline Kgti8

• Not said much yet
Darkened rear lights
« on: 08 December 2021, 01:20 »
Does anyone have these darkened rear lights fitted? Seems to only have been made available recently and haven’t seen any actual picture of them. Just trying to figure out how darker they actually are.

https://shop.ahw-shop.de/original-vw-golf-8-5h-led-rueckleuchten-animierter-blinker-abgedunkelt-iq.light-heckleuchten?c=9151

Bit on the pricey side but I haven’t bought anything now for the car in ages and am itching to do something!
2021 MK8 Manual | Oryx White, Estorils, DCC, Winter Pack, HK, Pan Roof, Rear Camera, Vienna Leather

Offline king monkey

• I live here
Re: Darkened rear lights
« Reply #1 on: 08 December 2021, 06:14 »
Now if memory serves me right these are a factory option in Germany. I’ve seen them on an R but can’t find a picture. Rather than darker, I seem to remember them being a monochrome finish. I’ll keep looking!
« Last Edit: 08 December 2021, 06:24 by king monkey »
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline Carl_45

• GTI forum regular
Current: Clubsport 45, Kings Red, DCC, HK, Winter Pack

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 08 December 2021, 09:11 »
Take a look at this….

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Original-VW-Golf-8-Tinted-Iq-Led-Rear-Lights-Animated-Indicator-5H1052200A-/174908710271?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

Look really good on the moonstone grey I think

The ad details states ‘can be used for left-hand drive vehicles’. Does that mean they can only be used on a LHD car? It also states ‘The commercial resale as well as the resale in the European countries outside of Germany are not permitted’. Does that mean they’re only for use on LHD German registered Golfs? Does the mk8 Golf have one or two rear fogs? If only one, then if these light clusters are for LHD cars, the fog light will be in the left / incorrect light cluster for a UK RHD car. Pictures don’t show the LED indicators illuminated; if the indicators don’t illuminate in orange then they won’t be legal for use on UK roads.

IMHO the standard IQ rear lights look great - one of the things I like about the mk8 Golf - so I’d not be spending nearly £400 on something that might not be suitable for use on a UK car.

Just my opinion though :whistle:, and it’s good we don’t all like the same things :smiley:.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 08 December 2021, 11:48 »
I think they look dreadful... sorry.

One thing that disappointed me about the IQ lights on the Golf is the lack of actual animation on startup. My Dad has a Tiguan and the rear lights do a fancy "dance" when you unlock the car. I've seen similar on the ID3 and 4. The light settings in the infotainment suggest they should "animate" but they don't!
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 08 December 2021, 12:35 »

Me too. The standard IQ lights look great though.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Online fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #6 on: 08 December 2021, 15:54 »

One thing that disappointed me about the IQ lights on the Golf is the lack of actual animation on startup. My Dad has a Tiguan and the rear lights do a fancy "dance" when you unlock the car. I've seen similar on the ID3 and 4. The light settings in the infotainment suggest they should "animate" but they don't!

That should work...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 08 December 2021, 17:07 »

That should work...

In what way? You mean the Golf tail lights are supposed to do an animated "dance" on unlock?
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline M6TT F

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 08 December 2021, 20:41 »
I actually quite like them. They remind me of the option on 911s. I don’t like them enough to spend almost 400 quid though, especially as they’re not UK spec compatible

Offline Carl_45

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 09 December 2021, 07:43 »
I’m not sure 400 is bad for something that visually changes the car so much, especially if they’re original VW parts.

I’m not looking myself, they wouldn’t suit kings red, however, I think they do look good on the moonstone.

What’s the difference between right and left hand fitment? The reversing/rear fog light maybe?
Current: Clubsport 45, Kings Red, DCC, HK, Winter Pack