Author Topic: GTI CS exhaust mods  (Read 1189 times)

Offline simonwhite2000

• GTI forum regular
GTI CS exhaust mods
« on: 30 January 2022, 13:35 »
Pending delivery I am looking around at how to give the exhaust a bit more sound. Has anyone done an exhaust mod?
Appreciate its a 4 cylinder so it's never going to sound great but it's just to silent stock.
Considering the remus system demonstrated on this vid..
https://youtu.be/Mo-jv6-C3_A
Awaiting: Mk8 GTI CS
2020: BMW 840 Gran Coupe
2017: Audi B9 S5 Coupe
2014: Mk7 Golf R manual

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: GTI CS exhaust mods
« Reply #1 on: 30 January 2022, 16:05 »
Start with a res delete maybe?

I found one on the thread about that on here.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 31 January 2022, 07:27 »
As a reformed serial modder (now blissfully skint so all temptation removed) who has had some moderately loud exhausts in my time I’ll point a finger towards a few things.

The OPF being the first. This thing seems to vacuum up exhaust sound with even those mad enough to spend £3k plus on an Akrapovic upgrade largely getting only a change in tone as opposed to much extra noise.

Next up comes drive by noise regulations meaning legal obligations for manufacturers and end users alike.

Then there’s the small matter of sinking £40k into a new car only to run warranty risks.

I’ve run a Clubsport for over 13 months now so I guess mine was one of the first registered, and I spent most of the last year with the back seats folded flat as the car has basically been a van for much of the time. Surprisingly this does actually make a difference to the exhaust noise coming into the cabin. Admittedly not a huge amount but definitely louder. I found the same when I had my mk7 Clubsport and removed the parcel shelf, considering how thin and flimsy the thing is it’s surprising how much it dampens exhaust noise (that car also had the Soundaktor disabled via VCDS for a time)

At least that’s a free mod unlike a potentially droning antisocial headache inducing res delete.

Mind you, I’m just old and boring, so good luck on your quest Simon and welcome aboard :afro:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Foxy367

• Here all the time
  • Here All Week
« Reply #3 on: 31 January 2022, 07:50 »
Even with the OPF the Mk8 Clubsport is night and day compared to my last GTI. I find the exhaust note much nicer and definitely louder. The pops and bangs in sport mode aren't too offensive and there is a louder DSG fart too. I'd also say as the engine has loosened up it has got better.

As much as I'd like a full on ASBO mode for when I'm in the mood firstly my wife would kill me and secondly the normal commute would get a little too wearing for me!!

Ulitmately I think the OPF as Exonian suggests takes the sting out of the exhaust noise a lot more than the rest of the exhaust would. Compare the difference between a standard (Pre OPF) M2 and an M2 comp the difference is massive
Current - Awaiting a milkfloat
Previously
2021 Mk8 GTI Clubsport - Atlantic Blue
2017 MK7.5 GTI Performance - Tornado Red
First steps into Golf ownership -
2003 Mk4 GtTdi PD150 Oceanic Green
2002 Mk4 GtTdi PD150 Reflex silver

Offline simonwhite2000

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 31 January 2022, 09:33 »
Thanks for the thoughts gents. I had a full Milltek non res on a 2017 B9 S5 and it was epic but that was pre OPF And of course a v6 so releasing any more noise from the CS certainly isn't going to be as tuneful.

The car isnt due until June (most like later of course!) so I have no actual idea of what it sounds like yet so it was just a curious question. Another idea I had was to fit a BMC air filter to create some more whooshing and turbo noise for a bit more aural stimulation.
Awaiting: Mk8 GTI CS
2020: BMW 840 Gran Coupe
2017: Audi B9 S5 Coupe
2014: Mk7 Golf R manual

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #5 on: 31 January 2022, 13:35 »
Air filter won't do anything.... don't waste your money!
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC