Author Topic: GTI MK8 infotainment questions  (Read 4160 times)

Offline TurboTrev

• I live here
Re: GTI MK8 infotainment questions
« Reply #10 on: 30 December 2021, 19:23 »
I'm having a right wobble re. my Mk8 order due to the lack of physical buttons/controls, so maybe someone could answer this question for me? 

Can you use your voice to alter heating temp/fan speed/direction, air con, etc.,  If you can, is this part of the voice activation package (£210, or included with Discover Pro) or will it work without specifying that extra?  Thanks.

Offline Ubique

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #11 on: 30 December 2021, 20:55 »
Trev, you really don’t need to worry. It’s all easy to do without voice activation. Seriously, I’ve had my GTI since last March and the lack of buttons isn’t an issue, just think of using an iPad. I’m sure I have voice activation on my standard GTI but I’ve never used it.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #12 on: 30 December 2021, 22:27 »
People overthink the controls on the mk8 far too much.
I have voice control but don’t use it, I’ll randomly very occasionally get a digital voice asking me if I want something though, usually in response to me muttering quietly to myself when I’ve overshot a junction and am in the process of an eight point turn (which is the last thing I need in that situation) to recover my error.
Oh, I did ask VC Lady once to turn the aircon on as I was a bit warm yet the temp was set at 18 degrees. She curtly responded that the aircon was already on dummkopf Englander.

Assuming the climate is set to sync you merely have to slide a finger or tap the slider to increase or decrease temperature in half degree increments. It’s very easy, even in the dark once you’ve used it once or twice. It’s a stupid mistake by VW to not have it illuminated but isn’t the end of the world, it’s easy to locate by feel.
To de-mist the front screen there is an illuminated ‘button’ on the light switch control pad alongside the rear de-mister.
Any more complex choices such as directing warm air to feet are done via a hotkey button in the centre of the dash under the iPad unit which will pull up a full display of options on the screen. It’s relatively easy to use that on the move, certainly no worse than reaching down trying to stab buttons located just above the central console. The icons are clear and more or less in your line of vision.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Boothy1979

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #13 on: 31 December 2021, 00:34 »
I completely agree with Exonian and Ubique comments, it really is nothing to worry about and something that has been made a big deal off when it really isn’t. Get the car and enjoy.
Current car: Manual MK8 GTI 245, Deep black pearl.
Ordered: DSG MK8 Clubsport, DCC, Pure white.

Offline TurboTrev

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 31 December 2021, 12:05 »
Ubique, Exonian and Boothy1979 many thanks for your replies. :smiley:  I'm useless with ipads, smart phones etc. and the thought of everything being controlled through a "computer screen", combined with all the glitches that everybody is having was making me have massive 2nd thoughts about my order.  I was also concerned with the safety aspect of making adjustments whilst driving. 

Anyhow, your comments are reassuring so I'll leave my order for the moment and in the meantime I'll try and see if I can get a demo at my local VW dealer.

Offline Sniffer

• Not said much yet
« Reply #15 on: 31 December 2021, 12:30 »
I don't know if it's standard but I certainly didn't pay any extra for Voice Activation on my GTI, although if I say "Hello Volkswagen, I'm cold (or hot) my car will increase (or decrease) the temperature setting at the driver's side of the car and respond accordingly. It's quite straightforward.

I believe that the temp settings operate exactly the same on the nearside, if the passengers makes the request, but none of my friends or relatives have been that keen to experiment with a talking car, so I don't yet know if it works on that side.  :smiley:
« Last Edit: 31 December 2021, 12:32 by Sniffer »
Long Since: 1981-84 Mk1 Golf GTI (Black);
Long Since: 1984-86 Mk 2 Golf GTI (White);
Long Since: 1986-88 Scirocco GTX (Graphite)
Gap - The Sensible Years (Mostly)
Gone: 2016-18 Mk 7 Golf GT TDI; (Silver)
Gone: 2018-20 Mk7.5 Golf GTI DSG (Red)
Gone: 2020 - Mk 8 Golf GTI DSG (White)
Gone: 2021 - Mk 8 Golf GTI DSG (Pearl Black),19"Adelaides, Sports Susp and Winter Pack.
2024 - Mk 8 Golf GTI DSG (Kings Red), 19" Adelaides, Sports Susp, Winter Pack & Rear View Camera.

Offline TurboTrev

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 31 December 2021, 12:46 »
^^Thanks Sniffer. :smiley:  Both versions of the nav originally came with voice activation, but it has now been removed from the standard version. 

What I'm not sure about is whether the voice activation extra (£210) is just for nav and phone and the rest e.g. heating commands, is still there, or whether you have to pay to get all of the voice activation stuff?

Offline valentino

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #17 on: 31 December 2021, 12:52 »
I'm having a right wobble re. my Mk8 order due to the lack of physical buttons/controls, so maybe someone could answer this question for me? 

Can you use your voice to alter heating temp/fan speed/direction, air con, etc.,  If you can, is this part of the voice activation package (£210, or included with Discover Pro) or will it work without specifying that extra?  Thanks.

Dont have a wobble. Its all straight forward. Im an old timer, and i have managed to get to grips with all the controls, even without asking my sons. The car is great to drive, dont be tempted to cancel your order

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #18 on: 31 December 2021, 13:55 »
You don't get voice control any more without navpro or buying it on its own.

I'm sure it's in the online shop which means a) you can try it for 30 days and b) it doesn't count towards the 40k luxury car tax...

Ps I agree, all of the negative comments about the interface just seem like regurgitated fud from someone. Anyone who can't figure it out probably shouldn't be driving, it's about as complex as a toy for a three year old.
« Last Edit: 31 December 2021, 13:57 by fredgroves »
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #19 on: 01 January 2022, 22:43 »
  I'm useless with ipads, smart phones etc. and the thought of everything being controlled through a "computer screen", combined with all the glitches that everybody is having was making me have massive 2nd thoughts about my order.  I was also concerned with the safety aspect of making adjustments whilst driving. 

Anyhow, your comments are reassuring so I'll leave my order for the moment and in the meantime I'll try and see if I can get a demo at my local VW dealer.

You manage to get on here Trev and post up comments so you’re not totally hopeless with tech!  :grin: :afro:

A little bit of familiarity with the system is all it takes. There are a lot of sub menus you’ll use once or twice and never again, just like on a mobile phone, iPad, laptop or whatever. Once the car is set up how you want it, that’s it.
Moving between any of the different series of Golf sees certain controls placed differently or operated differently. Mk2 heater sliders becoming mk3 rotary controls moving gradually to climate control buttons and wheels, now haptics and screens.
Kind of reminds me of a grandfather passing comment to his grandchild who is sat playing a video game, “in my day you’d be out in the fresh air, getting pram wheels and wood from the dump to make a go-kart using your dad’s tools” then half an hour later the kid would be showing grandad how to set up his iPad and make use of the apps. Each a child of their time, each using the tools of their day to get by in their respective worlds.
A bit of mental adjustment and regular use works wonders.
A press on the climate hotkey will bring up the screen, it’s best to familiarise with it a little before moving off as like any new series of Golf, you don’t want to be taking your eyes off the road even briefly once underway, so you do need to know roughly where each individual control is by memory.
Resting fingers on top of the screen and poking with your thumb is the most accurate way once on the move.

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner