Author Topic: Map Updates  (Read 12350 times)

Offline mustard

• Here all the time
  • Mk7 R
Re: Map Updates
« Reply #90 on: 10 January 2022, 09:03 »
Can't believe after 8 years this is still a discussion. Download the update, unzip the file using 7zip, make a copy of your original card, move the unzipped data across to the root of the SD card. All of the information is clearly stated on the VW navigation page. Bundle 6 fits on original 16gb VW SD cards and bundle 1 now doesn't unless you buy a new VW 32gb card. The SD card must be formatted in Fat32 not NTFS as previously said.
My original VW card is only 14.2 GB and the download is 16, so no way will it fit, always get a checksum error if I use FAT32, but when I use NTFS, works every time, so I guess both work, but I have saved myself from buying a new card at extortionate VW prices.

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #91 on: 22 March 2022, 16:11 »
Just updated my map to version 1810 and had to select map 2 due to size, which as highly unlikely to go to any of the countries omitted or actually any other country than UK, was fine to do.

Achieved this on Chromebook also, as both windows laptops in this house are company encrypted.

Was pretty simple, downloaded the zip, unzipped it with an App called RAR, backed up the existing map, and then deleted it off the SD Card, and replaced it with the extracted map version. Never bothered in my GTD or R, so first time done it and was expecting more issues especially on a Chromebook, but thankfully fears unfounded.

Reason did this, was due to driving out to Clacton yesterday and whole new bypass had my Sat Nav panicking that I was going off piste and into some fields.
« Last Edit: 22 March 2022, 16:20 by Hertsman »
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #92 on: 22 March 2022, 16:13 »
Thanks for this, while I always use Google Maps, there is something satisfying knowing that you're up to date. Or is that just my OCD?  :whistle:

Its good to have the sat nav in the driver display, but sometimes still use the Car Play Google Maps when think destination off the beaten track (grassroots football coach and some of these pitches are in most random of places!)
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC