Author Topic: GTI Clubsport, Season 2, Episode 1  (Read 13033 times)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: GTI Clubsport, Season 2, Episode 1
« Reply #70 on: 04 January 2022, 18:41 »
That’s quite a read Fred.
I think the way current prices are going the i20 would be the only one of that group I could afford!

I'm just placing an order for that Ferrari.... I've heard its cheaper and delivered faster than my next Mk8 Golf
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #71 on: 04 January 2022, 19:22 »
…And not a single complaint about the UI either.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #72 on: 08 December 2022, 19:25 »
Goodness me, where did that year go?
Yep, and apologies in advance, it’s coming up to the Clubby’s second birthday any time now and therefore its second service - so it’s the annual update time.

I’ll keep it brief as there’s not masses to say.
16k in and the front tyres are on 3mm, but I’ll assume owing to the negative camber the Clubsport runs the inner edges of the front tyres are scrubbed badly so a pair of new front PS4S are pending.

Second service to involve a brake fluid change I’m told, plus a “major software update”.
Aircon service was recommended but I think I’ll probably pass on that purely on a value for money angle as the system still works fine (touch wood!)

No real faults to report, the suspension occasionally groans on a cold start which I have seen quite a few others here report on but that’s about it. If it gets worse I’ll ask for a dab of grease on the affected parts.

It’s done about 10k since the first service give or take and the oil is still halfway up the dipstick.

Here’s a pic of the tyre wear:

I’ll get the tracking checked when I get new tyres.

Two years in and still loving it!
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Mk8Clubby

• Not said much yet
« Reply #73 on: 09 December 2022, 00:05 »
Hi Exonian,

Can you please post any more info you have on the cold start groans/creaks after it has been in for service? I have this too but have already had both top mounts replaced so thought it was something else i.e. sounds more like it's coming from the middle of the car, directly under the bonnet. I was thinking it was perhaps something with the DSG but really not sure.

About 18months in for me and I enjoy driving it more with time. 10/10 driving car imo; fast, quick gearbox, handles really well and brakes are great too. FYI I recently put Michelin PS5 tyres on mine to replace the Potenza S005 it came with. Was sceptical I'd notice much difference but, as per the reviews, they definitely are softer and possibly more grippy than the Potenzas. As it's quite a firm car the extra comfort (slightly) is nice to have, would highly recommend. I'm on the Richmond 18s. Unless you track your car, with the PS4S (versus PS5) you are sacrificing some comfort for no extra performance at road speeds.

Cheers.

Offline BillSan

• Here all the time
« Reply #74 on: 09 December 2022, 08:54 »
Hi Mk8Clubby,

I know your post was focussed on cold start groans/creaks and hopefully others will reply on that as I haven't had those issues.

Can I ask about your PS5 tyres as these will be my first choice when it comes to replacing my Potenza S005's in March/April?

Black Circles only list a "XL" load version in 225/40/18/Y - is that what you've got?  I don't know if it makes a difference tbh but those are about £110-£120 online with various sellers.
Pure White Mk8 Clubsport
TD Motorsport Pro Y Spoke Wheels
1899 Software but new s/wheel & no bongs since 4/1/24

Gone: Mk7.5 GTE

Offline Rudedog

• Here all the time
« Reply #75 on: 09 December 2022, 09:55 »
Just on the PS5's as I'm about to change... if you check out ATS they currently have them (using their offer) for £98.50 (18").

Unfortunately my 'local' ATS aren't good with alloys so I'll be going to a BlackCircles fitter but having to pay £110 each with their offer.
2019 Golf GTi PP DSG, Isaac Blue.

Offline Mk8Clubby

• Not said much yet
« Reply #76 on: 09 December 2022, 10:09 »
Hi BillSan, yeah that's the spec I have, 225/40/18 92Y XL. I think they are extra load as standard these days (but might be wrong with that). The Potenza S005 is an extra load tyre (says it somewhere on the sidewall) so it's a like for like swap in terms of spec.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #77 on: 09 December 2022, 10:10 »
Can you please post any more info you have on the cold start groans/creaks after it has been in for service? I have this too but have already had both top mounts replaced so thought it was something else i.e. sounds more like it's coming from the middle of the car, directly under the bonnet. I was thinking it was perhaps something with the DSG but really not sure.

Mine makes mechanical noises... on cold you get groaning noises from the front suspension. Sounds like its broken.

The other noise I get is not cold related, you get a noise that sounds like the sump scraping the floor and it happens when the suspension suddenly loads or unloads when going around a corner sometimes.... not every time.

Neither issue can be found by the dealer.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Mk8Clubby

• Not said much yet
« Reply #78 on: 09 December 2022, 10:26 »
Thanks fredgroves, yeah mine usually happens when starting up from cold and going slowly over bumpy roads/cobbles/speedbumps. It doesn't happen all the time so I'd kind of given up on it, but if it's an issue other people have managed to fix I'll get it looked into at next service under warranty. I'll try and get a DSG courtesy car off my VW garage when the time comes and see if that does the same.

Might be worth having your top mounts looked at/replaced under warranty for the cornering issues? It's a really common issue for them to be noisy on new VW Golfs for some reason. Had both replaced on my mk8 Clubby and one side replaced on my previous mk7.5 GTI PP.

Offline BillSan

• Here all the time
« Reply #79 on: 09 December 2022, 11:54 »
Just on the PS5's as I'm about to change... if you check out ATS they currently have them (using their offer) for £98.50 (18").

Unfortunately my 'local' ATS aren't good with alloys so I'll be going to a BlackCircles fitter but having to pay £110 each with their offer.

That's a good price (and a great spot!).  I'm not in the market for them just yet, but that's a tidy saving.
Pure White Mk8 Clubsport
TD Motorsport Pro Y Spoke Wheels
1899 Software but new s/wheel & no bongs since 4/1/24

Gone: Mk7.5 GTE