Author Topic: Flooded footwell  (Read 4813 times)

Offline shaks83

• Just got here
Flooded footwell
« on: 20 December 2019, 17:39 »
My back right passenger footwell is full with water and seems to get worse after heavy rain. The water is travelling to the front driver footwell also. I can’t seem to work out where the water is coming from. The seats and sides of doors are dry and the seals on doors all seem to be intact. Can anyway help
Or have any recommendations.

Thanks in advance

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: Flooded footwell
« Reply #1 on: 20 December 2019, 18:39 »
Hi shaks, this might help - https://www.vwroc.com/forums/topic/25496-water-leak-through-the-back-speaker/

Post this in the MK7 section - http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?board=117.0 as the problem won't be GTD specific and more people will see it there. I assume you are out of warranty?

Also, it's worth adding details of your car in your signature strip so people can base their advice/comments on what you have. And welcome to the forum :smiley: Shame it's not under better circumstances...
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
Re: Flooded footwell
« Reply #2 on: 20 December 2019, 18:48 »
The seals between the door speaker and where it’s attached to the door have been known to fail on the mk7/ mk7.5 Golf.

If / when this happens, when it rains or the car’s washed, water entering the door cavity between the window and window rubbers can run into the car around the speaker seal, rather than running out of the drain holes at the bottom of the door and outside the car onto the ground as it should do.

You could test to see if this is the cause - with the door open, get someone to pour water over the outside of the window and let it run into the door cavity. Check to see if all the water is exiting the door through the drain holes at the bottom of the door, or if some is dripping out between the door card and the door or around the speaker grille.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl