Author Topic: MK7 Manual Clutch Issues... who has suffered it?  (Read 9103 times)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
MK7 Manual Clutch Issues... who has suffered it?
« on: 04 February 2018, 10:30 »
Pop over to the R Forum on any given day and you'll see the issue of manual clutches slipping on standard cars as well as modified.
I'm surprised there hasn't been a group of angry owners arming themselves with pitchforks and storming VW HQ in MK.
There was unholy hell released upon the VW hierarchy when it transpired there was a slightly lighter grey shade on the seat bolsters on the preFL models than VW had led people to believe on the configurator. But obviously expensive and annoying slipping clutches aren't worth worrying about despite this seeming to be a very common problem.

We don't seem to see the same issue raised on here though which makes me wonder whether it's the added stress put on the clutch by the additional drive to the rear wheels... or is it?
The thing I noticed on the R was the DSG models had a plastic cover over the ECU yet the manual models have a metal cage riveted in place. They don't want you tampering with the ECU on manual cars yet it's ok on DSG cars.

I've absolutely no idea how to start a poll but I am interested in how many people have suffered from manual clutch issues and on what models.

So, own up, who has suffered it and at what model of mk7, mileage, car standard or modified?
And who hasn't suffered it? Model, mileage, standard or modified...

DSG owners can go start their own thread and bask in their superiority.  :laugh:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: MK7 Manual Clutch Issues... who has suffered it?
« Reply #1 on: 04 February 2018, 11:01 »
My PP is standard and hasn't suffered from any issues. I'm certainly interested in this though as mine will be out of warranty later this year so have half a mind towards a moderate tune.

But why are they slipping? Inadequate or defective? Whilst googling the issue a while back I came across an owner who had the issue and there was a clear manufacturing defect in that the pressure plate wasn't level meaning that the disc was only contacting a limited area. Since most with failure would get the clutch replaced and the old parts just binned, how many more are there like this? A bit like the Triumph Stag that had a terrible reputation for blowing head gaskets but again, gaskets replaced with no consideration of why they went.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Splashalot

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 04 February 2018, 11:25 »
For what it's worth, my 5 month old 1.4TSi's manual clutch has been suss from day one, so it's not just the GTI/R.  It stinks to high hell at the slightest provocation, although no slip as yet.  And this is very gentle city driving. 

I've just ordered a manual GTI to replace the 1.4, so am slightly nervous about the clutch's ability to handle the additional torque and power, given some of the stories I've read and my experiences with a humble 1.4.  Hopefully VW have sourced a better, more durable clutch for the 2018-built GTIs.  Although I'm not holding my breath.

Just before this thread was posted I was reading the US VW Vortex thread on clutch slip.  Many over there are convinced the clutch delay valve (or whatever it's called) is the culprit.  Although I don't see how it could be.
« Last Edit: 04 February 2018, 11:31 by Splashalot »
1972 Turquoise Superbug S; 1978 Miami Blue Golf GLS; 2007 Mk5 Tornado Red Golf GTI; 2017 Golf 7.5 Trendline Tungsten Silver 1.4ltr 110TSi with DAP; 2018 Tornado Red GTI with DAP.  All MT.  Current: 2021 Mini Cooper SE, British racing green.

Offline monsta

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 04 February 2018, 13:01 »
My GTI is a PP with Stage 1 APR remap. I'm at about 62,000 miles now with no clutch issues (remap was done relatively early in the car's life).   I keep thinking it'll start slipping soon but still solid even when accelerating in high gears.

Offline MjrSharpe

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 04 February 2018, 17:56 »
I have a dtuk box on my car and have had for nearly year. Thankfully I haven’t had any clutch slip. My car is 2016
2016 GTI - Tornado Red, M52 remap, DTUK Pedal box, dv+, racingline turbo elbow, forge turbo muffler delete, racingline springs, racingline stage 2 BBK, novus 0.1 wheels, injen induction kit ,st rear anti roll bar, TT short shift, 034 motorsports dogbone upper / lower inserts, sachs organic clutch, custom stainless steel exhaust, res delete, leyo bezels, oettinger rear spoiler, maxton splitter, golf r rear lights

Offline rwleigh

• Here all the time
  • Richard.
« Reply #5 on: 04 February 2018, 19:12 »
My Clubsport was remapped to REVO stage 1 at 800 miles and 3 weeks old. It's now done 7.5K in just over a year and I've not had any problem at all with clutch slip.
Golf GTI CS40 #010 | Manual | 5 door | Pure White | Car-Net | 90% tints | Winter Pack | REVO stage 1

Offline Margy

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 04 February 2018, 22:25 »
Std PP on a '63 plate. 37,000 miles, no issues.
Tornado red PP, Santiagos, DCC, winter pack.

Offline Restlessnative

• Here all the time
« Reply #7 on: 04 February 2018, 22:40 »
GTD standard.17000 miles and no issues at all.I did read somewhere that a standard unmapped R could eat up a clutch in as little as 15-20000 miles.I'll try and find out where i read it and post back.
Hard to believe i know. :huh:
Current: Golf GTD MK7  3 door manual carbon grey.

Offline GTI_Ant

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 04 February 2018, 23:31 »
GTi pp with 33k miles and no issues.  Noteworthy is that the 7.5R has torque limited to 280lbf in the manual whereas you get 295lbf with DSG. It must be running close to its limit.
GTi Clubsport DCC winter pack rear camera
Previous:
7.5R 3dr DSG DPB Prets Dynaudio
MK7 GTI PP Tungsten Silver Manual Nav Dynaudio Winter Pack Park Assist

Offline kelvyn29

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 05 February 2018, 08:03 »
Sept 2016 Manual PP - 12000 miles & clutch started slipping when is sport made & TSC turned off. :angry:

Drive it in Eco with TSC on & no slip