Author Topic: It may be worth checking the spoilers attached to the rear screen  (Read 10435 times)

Offline iandjm

• Here all the time
Hi  I have noticed that one of the side spoilers (the piano black ones) that are stuck on the sides of the rear screen was lifting up at the bottom. It appears the bonding between the plastic of the spoiler and the foam adhesive pad has failed.  It may be worth checking this on your cars guys.
Rather than let the dealer replace the spoiler and potentially risk more damage, I have used a small piece of industrial 3M double sided tape to reattach the plastic to the foam pad.  It is totally invisible now   :smiley:

Ian
2017 MY Golf R 3dr DSG | Lapiz Blue | Dynaudio | Heated Screen | Advanced Phone | Sat Nav | Winter Pack

Offline iandjm

• Here all the time
I guess everyone elses are ok  :grin:   The double sided tape didnt work so I went back to the dealer today.  They have ordered in a replacement part.
« Last Edit: 25 April 2014, 15:16 by iandjm »
2017 MY Golf R 3dr DSG | Lapiz Blue | Dynaudio | Heated Screen | Advanced Phone | Sat Nav | Winter Pack

Offline monsta

• I live here
I think one of mine is doing this, can't be bothered to go to the dealers with it yet but looks like dirt has got under the adhesive and slowly loosened it a little.

Offline zUgan

• Not said much yet
Same here. Noticed it last weekend.
3dr GTD, Carbon Grey.

Offline iandjm

• Here all the time
Looking like a design defect :(

Offline JamesR27

• Here all the time
I noticed mine might be starting to go that way and are really squeaky when you touch them.
I might mention it when it goes in next week to re align the boot as I have a few marks on the bumper from where it's touched.
MK 7.5 R Pure White, Pretoria Silver, DCC, Rear Camera.
Gone - MK 7 GTI Carbon Grey, Rear Camera, Service Pack.
Gone - MK 6 GTI  Reflex Silver, Monza Shadows, RCD 510, Rear Camera, Bluetooth, Tyre Pressure Sensor, Xenons Convenience pack, Service Pack :)
Gone - MK 5 GTI Reflex Silver, Monza II 18's, Luxury Pack, Mulitchanger

Offline Mr Savage

• I live here
For those guys who have took their cars back to the dealer for this issue, how did it go? Are they covered under the warranty and for how many miles? Mines gonna have to go in for it soon :(
Current - MK7 Golf GTI - Tornado Red, 5 Door, DSG, Performance Pack, Dynamic Chasis Control, Panoramic Sunroof, Discover Navigation, Dynaudio.

On Order - MK7 Golf R - Pearlescent Black, 3 Door, DSG, Vienna Leather, Discover Nav Pro, Rear View Camera, High Beam Assist, Keyless Entry, Dynaudio (Tech Pack)

All gone.

Now;

MK7 Golf R - Lapiz Blue, 5 Door, DSG, Carbon Nappa, Discover Nav Pro.

Offline Chief1337

• Here all the time
Mine is starting to lift around the 'middle' of the screen area on each side. Gently feeling around the spoiler itself and it's definitely lifting.

Incidentally, my GTi is kept in the garage overnight (when I'm at home) and has done about 6.5K miles now.

Anyone else seen / had this ?

Offline Chief1337

• Here all the time
I noticed mine might be starting to go that way and are really squeaky when you touch them.
I might mention it when it goes in next week to re align the boot as I have a few marks on the bumper from where it's touched.

Do you mean a little 'marks' (in small lines) around where the boot meetings the bumper itself? I have this too! Any luck with the dealer on that one?

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Mine is starting to lift around the 'middle' of the screen area on each side. Gently feeling around the spoiler itself and it's definitely lifting.

Incidentally, my GTi is kept in the garage overnight (when I'm at home) and has done about 6.5K miles now.

Anyone else seen / had this ?

It's really common Chief.
It's like it on my mate's company car GTI and the VW dealer have sent it to another firm to re-attach it rather than replacing the original.
One of mine is coming a tiny bit loose but the other is fine so far (touch wood).
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner