Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2779415 times)

Offline Yusee

• I live here
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #12020 on: 17 January 2022, 19:57 »
On the issue of lighter wheels, anyone noticed any worsening in ride quality with lighter wheels?

Thought it would improve ride quality as there is less work for the suspension to do due to reduced un-sprung weight??

You are probably right. I read this on a very quick search ( Wikipedia!) but the consensus seems to be that ride quality improves for the reason you say
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline oryx3dr

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #12021 on: 22 January 2022, 13:07 »
Had to do the dreaded mirror glass replacement today. Shall we take bets on how long before the other side goes?

Current - 2020 Black Golf GTI Performance Pack DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Climate Windscreen, Brescia's
Sold - 2017 MK7 Oryx White 3dr GTI
Sold - 2019 Up GTI

Offline My other womans a vw.

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #12022 on: 23 January 2022, 08:06 »
oryx3dr,what has happened to your mirror glass?
Is this another potential issue i’ll have to keep an eye on??

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #12023 on: 23 January 2022, 08:31 »
oryx3dr,what has happened to your mirror glass?
Is this another potential issue i’ll have to keep an eye on??

I believe this issue has been discussed on several VW Golf forums over the years.

The adhesive backing on the door mirror glass can fail over time, resulting in the glass becoming detached from the backing plate in the mirror housing. If you’re unlucky and don’t spot it, the mirror can fall out of the housing and hit the side of the car when you’re driving. Seems that it’s more likely to happen if owners leave the mirror adjustment control permanently in the ‘heating’ position, as the heating effect appears to either weaken or dry out the adhesive backing over time.

Something to keep an eye on; if the mirror glass feels loose when washing the car or if the image in the mirror vibrates slightly while driving, it maybe a sign the adhesive backing is about to fail.
« Last Edit: 23 January 2022, 12:59 by SRGTD »
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline My other womans a vw.

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #12024 on: 23 January 2022, 13:42 »
Thanks for that info,never used the heated wing mirrors so far,but will bear it in mind.

Offline Rudedog

• Here all the time
« Reply #12025 on: 23 January 2022, 15:49 »
And remember unlike previous Golf's the heating carries on for as long as you have the switch is selected, before there was a built in timer that turned down the heat (mirrors, rear window and seats) after about ten minutes (you then just turned them off and back on to restart).
2019 Golf GTi PP DSG, Isaac Blue.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #12026 on: 23 January 2022, 16:18 »
And remember unlike previous Golf's the heating carries on for as long as you have the switch is selected, before there was a built in timer that turned down the heat (mirrors, rear window and seats) after about ten minutes (you then just turned them off and back on to restart).

IMHO VW’s heated door mirror controls are a rather poor design. The system on the mk3 Vauxhall Astra I owned back in the early 1990’s was better, and that was over 30 years ago. In that car, the mirror heating switch was separate from the mirror adjustment control, and it had and illuminated warning light when the heating function was switched on. From memory, it also had a built in timer that switched off the heating function after around 10 minutes, although you could manually switch it off before the auto-timer did.
« Last Edit: 23 January 2022, 16:27 by SRGTD »
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Rob_benton

• Here all the time
« Reply #12027 on: 23 January 2022, 20:49 »
It’s worth getting a tool behind your mirror glass and gently pulling around the edges . As the adhesive gives way over time, it seems to come unstuck in sections if that makes sense. Until the last section fails and the glass falls.
I’ve done both my mirrors this way.

I sold a gtd at work a couple of weeks ago. An hour before the customer arrives, my valeter said he thought the glass moved as he was drying it.
I gently pulled and the mirror glass fell off. I stuck it back on in time. Better than having to buy a new £60 Vw glass a week down the line when it would have smashed on the road  ! 
2014 gti pp dsg

Offline Jason b

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #12028 on: 31 January 2022, 17:58 »
A trip to the tip

« Last Edit: 31 January 2022, 18:00 by Jason b »
Night blue MK7 GTI keyless winter pack nav camers etc very partial to a Ducati and a Fs1e.A serial Le Mans 24 attendee 13 starts in a row to date

Offline Ceefeesh

• I live here
« Reply #12029 on: 31 January 2022, 18:42 »
Duh! 🤭 Sorry mixed up the thread.
« Last Edit: 31 January 2022, 18:47 by Ceefeesh »
Previous owner of many Golfs and GTIs. Now Audi S3.