Author Topic: GTI - First batch issues?  (Read 10361 times)

Offline DougL

• Here all the time
Re: GTI - First batch issues?
« Reply #20 on: 26 July 2013, 19:47 »
ouch, just watched that. Everything I thought about VW is true and I was absolutely correct about that gearbox...
Tornado Red GTI 3dr manual

Previous Golfs Mk1 GLS and GL, Mk2 GL and Driver, Mk3 GL, Mk4 GT TDI, Mk6 TDI (and a Mk2 Scirocco 20 years ago)

Offline Bill_the_Bear

• I live here
  • Yes! Wait a minute... No!
« Reply #21 on: 26 July 2013, 20:00 »
A while back someone posted a similar "horror" story about Chinese DSG recalls.  As I pointed out then, and will do so again now, there are 2 DSG boxes.  The recalls are all on the 7 speed.  The GTI is fitted with a completely different 6 speed box.  You understand that this says nothing whatsoever about the GTI DSG right?  It's an entirely different part.

I'm buying DSG and I have no worried at all. :wink:

Offline DougL

• Here all the time
« Reply #22 on: 26 July 2013, 20:13 »
Sorry, I keep forgetting the GTI has the six speed.

Previous Golfs Mk1 GLS and GL, Mk2 GL and Driver, Mk3 GL, Mk4 GT TDI, Mk6 TDI (and a Mk2 Scirocco 20 years ago)

Offline DougL

• Here all the time
« Reply #23 on: 26 July 2013, 20:15 »
However, my cynicism still agrees with the presenter of that video. Once they have your money, they couldn't care less and the car becomes a liability to them.

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #24 on: 26 July 2013, 20:19 »
They also talk about tdi engines.
But there are quite a few reports of mecatronics unit failures on mk6 and mk5 6 speed dsg.
I wait and see if they have cured that one. It may suprise me if they have.
The only reason I posted that link was to show the attitude to customers is little different in other countries. I also liked his style.
VW attitude to all the many component design issues with the mk5 and mk6 is the same as that video from my experience.
« Last Edit: 26 July 2013, 20:22 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline Bill_the_Bear

• I live here
  • Yes! Wait a minute... No!
« Reply #25 on: 26 July 2013, 20:25 »
However, my cynicism still agrees with the presenter of that video. Once they have your money, they couldn't care less and the car becomes a liability to them.

Agreed.  With a few good exceptions you gotta fight your own corner if you want something doing.  Even though I shelled out for warranty I expect a hard battle would be needed to get them to agree that I have a warranty covered issue should the worst happen.

A few companies I've dealt with have been fair and anxious to do the right thing for their customers but a good 2/3 of them do seem to take your money and do everything they can to avoid delivering the service paid for.  Have lost out on literally thousands of pounds to people like Vodafone forced me to pay 18 months of a 2 year contract for a service that they cancelled immediately after i signed up for it (utter assholes don't deal with them anyone you'd be shocked if you read the small print) and some insurance company, I forget who, who gladly took the premiums for years and then weaselled out of responsibility when they were legitimately liable to pay up.

This is seriously ££££ that I was owed and they can just say "nah, we don't agree" and there is always some small print that says you must always pay them but for any reason they like they can back out if they want.... And you STILL have to pay them.  In the vodka phone case I only didn't have to pay the full 24 months because I threatened trading standards on them.  Still didn't get me the 18 months DD they had been taking each month back though.  That's literally theft.
« Last Edit: 26 July 2013, 20:29 by Bill_the_Bear »

Offline DougL

• Here all the time
« Reply #26 on: 26 July 2013, 20:29 »
So are Toyota any better?

I have always been shocked at the treatment from the big VW dealers. I remember an alloy wheel on my Mk4 GT TDI was flaking laquer. I was refused a warranty claim because there was a slight kerb mark elsewhere. Another smaller, independent dealer (MJ Warner) sorted a warranty claim out immediately.

Offline matchboy

• I live here
« Reply #27 on: 26 July 2013, 20:36 »
So are Toyota any better?

I have always been shocked at the treatment from the big VW dealers. I remember an alloy wheel on my Mk4 GT TDI was flaking laquer. I was refused a warranty claim because there was a slight kerb mark elsewhere. Another smaller, independent dealer (MJ Warner) sorted a warranty claim out immediately.

Is that MJ Warner near Buntingford/Puckeridge? I've used them before, very good service.
Audi RS5 2018
Gone: BMW M4 LCI Competition Package
Previous: Mk 3 Audi TTS, Porsche 981 Cayman S, Mk 7 Golf R, Mk 7 GTI, Mk 6 GTI, Mk 5 GTI and so on....

Offline DougL

• Here all the time
« Reply #28 on: 26 July 2013, 20:49 »
Yep, Hare St... near Buntingford. I really like them.

Offline matchboy

• I live here
« Reply #29 on: 26 July 2013, 21:05 »
Yep, Hare St... near Buntingford. I really like them.

Yeah they're really good. Family run business and put a precedence on good service.
Audi RS5 2018
Gone: BMW M4 LCI Competition Package
Previous: Mk 3 Audi TTS, Porsche 981 Cayman S, Mk 7 Golf R, Mk 7 GTI, Mk 6 GTI, Mk 5 GTI and so on....