Author Topic: Help! Colour panic  (Read 10806 times)

Offline CraigW

• I live here
Re: Help! Colour panic
« Reply #10 on: 16 July 2013, 07:45 »
My personal opinion, I think the effect of the pano roof is going to be lost on any other colour apart from white. Carbon grey was high up on my list and I swayed back and forwards from my original choice but the more I saw it in white the more I liked it. However, it is probably the most difficult decision of any.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #11 on: 16 July 2013, 07:48 »
Stick! Pictures in this thread will help put your mind at rest that you've chosen a great colour. Also, if you change your mind on colour, you'll be playing the waiting game for longer.

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=256607.0

It certainly stung me - i'd be in a DBP manual GTD a few weeks ago if I hadn't requested a change to TR and the dealership hadn't messed up and changed my dad's order by accident and then changed mine a few weeks after that when they realised their mistake.

First instict is usually right - my dad's DBP looks great but it'll be a lot of upkeep keeping it clean - TR was always there or thereabouts.

It'll be interesting to see if White falls out of trend generally, as more and more car manufacturers start charging for it (because they can, not that it costs any more than it used to).
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #12 on: 16 July 2013, 07:49 »
My personal opinion, I think the effect of the pano roof is going to be lost on any other colour apart from white. Carbon grey was high up on my list and I swayed back and forwards from my original choice but the more I saw it in white the more I liked it. However, it is probably the most difficult decision of any.

There is a White MK7 GT in a street on my commute home - with Pano roof, and it does look good on the white. Seen the same Pano roof on a Tornado Red one and was not fussed.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Gryzor

• I live here
  • Go white, or go home!
« Reply #13 on: 16 July 2013, 08:13 »
Just go with your heart, and if you want white, change it to white.  I might be biased, but I find white by far the best suited colour for the GTI, as it picks out all the lines and accents really well.  As already mentioned too, the pano roof will kinda' get lots in darker colours.

White can go out of fashion tomorrow for all I care.  I've had white cars way before they became the fashion, and I'll continue to have them.  My car is there to please me, not please other people!
Pure White Mk7 GTI (5dr, Manual)

Options: Reverse Camera, Keyless, Adaptive Chasis, Climate Screen, Winter Pack, Discover Nav, Advanced Phone Prep

Offline drisser

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 16 July 2013, 08:24 »
Thanks for the opinions guys

Colour seems the be the hardest choice to make ! I did rule out TR because of already having a red car, so I guess I am going to stick with Carbon, also I chose the roof because I like a sunroof, not just for the looks and those pics someone posted of the carbon grey one do look good when its in the sun.

I think it will be a bit more discreet than white too.  Agree with someone's comment earlier about them charging for white because its popular, which is naughty.  Solid red, solid black and solid white were always no cost paint options on most cars, they knew fine well doing the launch car in white and charging £250 minimum was a money spinner !
Daily drive - LCI BMW 330 D Estoril Blue & Saddle leather. M sport + Pack / Prof Nav / Head Up / Heated Seats
On the way - CS ed 40 tornado red, manual, 3 door
Weekend fun - low mileage portofino blue 1997 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo
2017 Build Slot reserved for BMW M2

Offline drisser

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 16 July 2013, 08:26 »
Actually

Seeing this I do love  the grey !  Nice contrast between the grey and what looks like a black gti... Do like that the grey is more "metallic"

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fKAWfqo6egA&feature=related

Daily drive - LCI BMW 330 D Estoril Blue & Saddle leather. M sport + Pack / Prof Nav / Head Up / Heated Seats

Running Man

« Reply #16 on: 16 July 2013, 08:46 »
Just saying, but when you see a mk 5 GTI in white it still looks ace, the other colours do not look as good, same for the mk 6 now and as the years go by it will still hold its own but the other colours probably will not.

Same will go for the mk 7, good news if you plan on keeping it for a number of years or when you want to sell on.

IMHO  :smiley:
« Last Edit: 16 July 2013, 08:52 by Running Man »

Offline Hawaii-Five-O

• I live here
  • Are we nearly there yet?
« Reply #17 on: 16 July 2013, 08:47 »
Drisser, I was in the same dilemma as you a few weeks back. My two favourite colours for the GTD/GTI are Pure White and Carbon Grey.

I'd say stick with your original decision and don't swop. That's what I've done.

There are two key benefits to getting Carbon Grey:

1) It exclusive to the GTD/GTI's (some people don't know this)
2) It's more low-key, less standout than Pure White (if that's important to you)

I think stick mate :wink:
Current: BMW M140i / ZF8 / 5 DR
Past: MK7 GTI / DSG / WHITE / 5 DR

Offline Dully

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #18 on: 16 July 2013, 09:19 »
Ok I am having my first big 2 nd thought since ordering !

Watched the tv ad with the white car in Vegas with sunroof and admit it looks fab.  I have ordered carbon which I think will look " classically cool " without being too much notice me -  like cars understated and have to park on the street - but the white looks really good.

My other dilemma with white is if it will go out of fashion in5 years time whereas carbon grey will probably look smart whatever..

Someone help me.. Stick or twist !

You are what you drive Drisser ............ Grey  :laugh: only joking mate

I have gone for the launch advert colour White, not my preferred colour but this car is replacing the wife's TT so she had to have some sort of say. I would have gone for the Grey, I think it's a timeless colour and I am a bit worried I have jumped on the white bandwagon a little too late in its trend. Mind you the mrs is happy and I got the 3 doors, PP and DCC that I wanted!

Way back in 2005 I ordered a red GTI mk5, this was the launch colour (singing in the rain advert) and all the brochures had the car in red, top gear also tested a red one. Prior to ordering I saw a white one in some foreign mag and was toying with the idea of choosing that instead. The salesman at vw said he only sold white cars to district nurses and that when I came back in 3 years time to trade it in I would not get as much for it as white is not a popular colour, what did he know  :laugh: how things change  :laugh:
Driving - MK7 GTD, 5 Door, CSG, DSG, Santiago's

Offline drisser

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 16 July 2013, 09:33 »
Ok I am having my first big 2 nd thought since ordering !

Watched the tv ad with the white car in Vegas with sunroof and admit it looks fab.  I have ordered carbon which I think will look " classically cool " without being too much notice me -  like cars understated and have to park on the street - but the white looks really good.

My other dilemma with white is if it will go out of fashion in5 years time whereas carbon grey will probably look smart whatever..

Someone help me.. Stick or twist !

You are what you drive Drisser ............ Grey  :laugh: only joking mate

I have gone for the launch advert colour White, not my preferred colour but this car is replacing the wife's TT so she had to have some sort of say. I would have gone for the Grey, I think it's a timeless colour and I am a bit worried I have jumped on the white bandwagon a little too late in its trend. Mind you the mrs is happy and I got the 3 doors, PP and DCC that I wanted!

Way back in 2005 I ordered a red GTI mk5, this was the launch colour (singing in the rain advert) and all the brochures had the car in red, top gear also tested a red one. Prior to ordering I saw a white one in some foreign mag and was toying with the idea of choosing that instead. The salesman at vw said he only sold white cars to district nurses and that when I came back in 3 years time to trade it in I would not get as much for it as white is not a popular colour, what did he know  :laugh: how things change  :laugh:

I am accountant  :laugh:  so maybe I should have grey !   I do think the gti since mk5 has looked good in white but I think the need for something a bit more understated while i need to park on the street will mean in grey it passes under the radar for an jealous chavs !