Author Topic: GAP for GTI/GTD  (Read 10103 times)

Offline ChrisJL

• GTI forum regular
Re: GAP for GTI/GTD
« Reply #20 on: 12 August 2013, 22:50 »
Sorry to raise an old thread.

I can see a couple of suggestions on here for alternative GAP insurance providers.

Is there any really good providers that anyone would recommend above all others? Like ones perhaps you've had to (unfortunately) deal with?

I've had GAP in the past on all new cars and never used it (luckily) so really doubted whether get it this time. Dealer basically want 400 for it though so surely must be able to get it cheaper else where from a reliable source.

As times getting closer I'm thinking I would rather have it now just in case, but £400 seems a bit steep  :sad:
Collected 10/09/2013: Mk 7 Golf GTI. 3 Door Manual. Tornado Red. Performance Pack. Adaptive Chassis. Winter Pack. Life Shine Protection.

Offline mk7gti

• I live here
« Reply #21 on: 12 August 2013, 23:05 »
Take insurance with direct line they give you back to involve price on a new car for 12 months as part of the policy...

MK7 GTI - Deep Pearl Black - Standard Spec - Ordered 10/12/2015.

MK7 GTI - White - Standard Spec - Service Pack - Collected 11/09/2013.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #22 on: 12 August 2013, 23:32 »
Take insurance with direct line they give you back to involve price on a new car for 12 months as part of the policy...

I think a number of insurers will provide a new replacement vehicle of the same make and spec if your car becomes the subject of a total loss claim or is stolen and not recovered within the first 12 months of vehicle registration. However, with the long wait most of you guys are experiencing, it would be interesting to see how quickly an insurer could get a new like for like specc'd GTI or GTD to settle a total loss or theft claim!
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Misterp

• I live here
« Reply #23 on: 13 August 2013, 01:20 »
What do most people go for? RTI or vehicle replacement. This will be the first policy I will be purchasing am I right in assuming on a RTI policy I will get paid the difference between value and the actual invoice price and with the vehicle replacement they will replace the vehicle like for like. I'm assuming with the final option, you have to use your insurance pay out to put towards the replacement vehicle.
Golf GTD mk7 DSG pearl black - collected 25 September 2013.

Offline Bill_the_Bear

• I live here
  • Yes! Wait a minute... No!
« Reply #24 on: 13 August 2013, 02:06 »
What do most people go for? RTI or vehicle replacement. This will be the first policy I will be purchasing am I right in assuming on a RTI policy I will get paid the difference between value and the actual invoice price and with the vehicle replacement they will replace the vehicle like for like. I'm assuming with the final option, you have to use your insurance pay out to put towards the replacement vehicle.

Yeah how does this work?  I've had GAP before but as I understand it I would only have got the extra between the insurance payout and what I paid for the vehicle, which may or may not have covered the cost of a new replacement.

Lets say my car is written off or stolen.  I want the same car same spec brand new replacement without having to pay a penny myself, apart from the damn premium rises of course.  How do I go about archiving that?

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #25 on: 13 August 2013, 04:20 »
As I understand it, GAP is just that. The gap between what your insurers will cough up and the cost you paid for the car at invoice.
So if you want the identical model then that's down to you I guess. Mind you if it's written off very young then the insurance may well take care of replacement but I'd still want to be in control of that myself!
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #26 on: 13 August 2013, 07:32 »
I don't think either gap or rti would get you an identical car if between you buying and having a total loss vw put the prices up. they both mention market value in the tiny print but a place I've seen online did a very good explanation of three different policies and I'm sure one covered you for a full replacement including any price discrepancies.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline matchboy

• I live here
« Reply #27 on: 13 August 2013, 08:15 »
You want a return to invoice policy. Means your insurer pays the market value and the GAP pays the rest to whatever you originally paid. Ill be using ALA - unless my dealer can match the £125 quote, in which case I'm more than happy to give him the business. But given the conversation I had a month ago whereby he stated the cheapest he could do it was £300 it looks like ill be using ALA! :laugh:
Audi RS5 2018
Gone: BMW M4 LCI Competition Package
Previous: Mk 3 Audi TTS, Porsche 981 Cayman S, Mk 7 Golf R, Mk 7 GTI, Mk 6 GTI, Mk 5 GTI and so on....

Offline EliteBajan

• Not said much yet
« Reply #28 on: 13 August 2013, 09:16 »

I intend to go for vehicle replacement, as I had my car stolen earlier this year and had nothing but problems with the insurance company trying to get it replaced. It was only 4 months old but because of the model change they refused to replace my Mk6 with a Mk7. After a lot of back and forth and involving the ombudsman I got them to order me a Mk7 and I had to meet the difference which wasn't too much thankfully. This time round I'll be getting GAP insurance from the beginning so I won't have the same hassle again.

What will Vehicle Replacement Gap Insurance do for you?

When a write off occurs, fully comprehensive insurers will only pay the market value at the time of write off. For example, in year 3 of ownership an insurer might pay 30 – 35% of the original vehicle purchase price, leaving the owner with an unexpected and unplanned expense.

Vehicle Replacement Gap Insurance will pay the difference between;

a) the insurers claim settlement, which will be the market value at time of write off and,

b) the cost of a replacement vehicle matching the original vehicle specification, age and mileage – even if the cost of doing so is more than the price of the original vehicle.

Vehicle manufacturers generally increase their prices annually at the approximate average rate of 2%. This alone can increase the price of a £25,000.00 vehicle by £2,000.00 over a four year period. Add to this the fact that manufacturers continually develop their ranges and launch upgrades and superceded models, often with better specification and this can similarly add a few thousand more to the cost of replacing with the nearest equivalent model. Harder to calculate is the availability of high discounts. In these difficult economic times dealers and manufacturers are often giving thousands of pounds off the advertised price to attract buyers. Will this be the case if you unexpectedly needed to replace your vehicle in 3 years time? With Vehicle Replacement Gap protection in place, you need not worry about price increases, model succession or reduced discounts and therefore replacing the vehicle will be much more pleasurable and will prevent a financial burden. Vehicle Replacement Gap Insurance is purchased by and suitable for cash buyers and financed buyers alike. Our Vehicle Replacement Gap Insurance policies are ‘combined’ policies which means that if the vehicle is financed via a dealer arranged plan and the lenders finance settlement figure exceeds the original vehicle invoice price, it will pay that higher figure.

Need to see an example? Click Here
A simple example of how Vehicle Replacement Gap Insurance works
A customer buys a car for £15,000.00.

After three years of ownership, the car is stolen and written off by the insurer.

The insurer agrees to pay the market value at time of write off which is £6,000.00.

The cost of replacing the original vehicle with a model, specification, age and mileage has risen in that two years by £1,500.00

In this example, the customer would need to find £10,500.00 to replace the original car.

Vehicle Replacement Gap Insurance would pay that difference of £10,500.00 directly to the customer to enable him / her to spend £16,500.00 on a replacement.

That was from the Car2Cover website.
Candy White Mk6 GTI 2012 - Bog standard! Weight saving you understand (stolen March 2013)

Solid Black Mk7 5dr, Leather, Performance Pack & Dynaudio.

Offline Gryzor

• I live here
  • Go white, or go home!
« Reply #29 on: 13 August 2013, 09:30 »
I'm probably going with "Back to Invoice", because if my car was written off after 2 years, I wouldn't expect to walk away with a brand new car.  For the sake of around £120 for 3 years cover, it's not too bad, but then again, this kind of "insurance on insurance" and the stories they use to sell it...get's a bit frustrating, as it does with all of the other insurances they try and sell you for paint protection, wheels, tyres, scratches etc.
Pure White Mk7 GTI (5dr, Manual)

Options: Reverse Camera, Keyless, Adaptive Chasis, Climate Screen, Winter Pack, Discover Nav, Advanced Phone Prep