Author Topic: Palmtree mk4 1.8t  (Read 3284 times)

Offline palmtree

• Not said much yet
Palmtree mk4 1.8t
« on: 21 April 2012, 01:26 »
Thought I'd start a kind of build thread even though I've not done as much to my car as most on here
This is very much a budget build but being a mk4 that went out of the window.

Started with a fairly standard mk4 golf 1.8t after months of searching for a decent one finally settled on an 2000 ARZ lacking the k03s I wanted but made up for it by having black leather recaros, full service history, and all the bits I was looking for like climatronic etc.

Bought for £1600 in August 2011

After much messing about I got down to business with the interior getting rid of the naff wood trim, changing the plastic gear knob for a genuine r line 5 speed gear knob and fitting bota vents

Offline bobbarley

• Serious forum addict
  • I'm kind of a big deal...
Re: Palmtree mk4 1.8t
« Reply #1 on: 21 April 2012, 01:29 »
Local lad!  :afro:

Nice car, instant improvement right there sorting out the gash wood.

Offline X4MGS

• I live here
  • VAG Parts SNOB!!!
« Reply #2 on: 21 April 2012, 01:43 »

Nice car, instant improvement right there sorting out the gash wood.

+1

High Quality Chrome & Black Enamel Golf GTI Keyring's.
For More Info Click To See;
My Thread On Here  Or My Ebay Store!

Offline palmtree

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 21 April 2012, 02:20 »
I don't know what possessed vw to put that wood trim in the golfs I owned a passat v6 4motiom previously to the golf which my brother now has and is in the process of selling to buy a golf 1.8t

4wd is great but the passat chassis is so soft it renders the 4wd virtually useless unless your driving In snow!

After the interior changes I needed a k03s so picked one up complete with charge pipe to pancake pipe for £120 and being lucky my mate who's a mechanic spent a day with me fitting new cambelt, water pump, spark plugs, oil filter, oil, pipercross panel filter, cheapo eBay downpipe and decat k03s and silicone tip and forge 007p with yellow spring and all new gaskets

It was a long day with no breaks but only cost me £160 labour so I really can't complain seeing as we had full use of his work and a proper 2 post lift

Then decided on a few more cosmetic changes and fitted a mk5 rear wiper and retro fit front aero wiper blades with a 2011 polo aerial

When fitting the k03s we discovered a huge crack in the exhaust manifold so a week or so later fitted new exhaust manifold and thermostat due to issues with not getting up to temp.

Managed to get a newsouth boost gauge and 42 draft design pod for £60 with reciepts from awsome gti only a couple of months old so fitted those.

All issues cured the car was due trip to r-tech who did a custom map which is a bit of a strange one with the mods not being fully at stage 2 lacking cat back exhaust and a fmic they still worked their magic resulting in 233bhp and 217ft/lbs from 155bhp and 155ft/lbs prior to the remap

To be honest this caused a load of parts to be replaced, new maf, lambda sensor, crankshaft sensor then recently developing a boost leak after I did the n249 n112 and sai delete.

Also found a sticking rear calliper, leaking rocker cover gasket and have all the parts and pipe work for the PVC oil catch can install sat here waiting to be installed.

Non of this was due to the remap just bad luck that it all happened in the space of one month

After having the car back on my mates ramp due to knocking form the the front we found the front wishbone bushes were gone so replaced them with r32/s3/tt rear bushes and superpro front poly bushes Which have improved handling but made the ride a bit harsher.

Picked up a bargain nuespeed short shifter for £45 so fitted that today went on a drive to test it out and boom front passenger spring snapped, came home ordered new top mounts, bearings and jom coilovers

And that takes me up to date with what has happened so far I've got few future plans but the mrs is literally losing her mind because everytime I come home something else needs replacing
« Last Edit: 21 April 2012, 02:30 by palmtree »

Offline palmtree

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 21 April 2012, 02:22 »
Oh forgot I've delocked it as well will post some more pics when I have some