Author Topic: A3 170 tdi v GTD ?  (Read 19756 times)

Jimmymature

Re: A3 170 tdi v GTD ?
« Reply #30 on: 02 January 2011, 17:24 »
For me it was a toss up between the S3 sportback and the Golf, I went with the golf which was the best choice due to the miles I cover plus the audi chassis seemed very dated and there's a new A3 due any day.

Doc, the exact reason I didnt get an S3.  The ride is harsh enough in my A3 TDI, the S3 was too hard and thows the car off line on anything but smooth roads. 

Jimmymature

« Reply #31 on: 02 January 2011, 17:32 »

I've always thought that if it were a toss up i'd get an Audi A3 TDI over an VW TDI BUT! My Mk6 GTI is without doubt a better quality & more modern feeling car than my outgoing A3 TDI S-Line 170.

I chose the Audi two years ago as the company were paying for it, if it were my money Golf all the way.....  Although having typed this - sorry but no Golf diesel is worth over £30k imo.

Jim

Offline PenguinGTI

• I live here
« Reply #32 on: 06 January 2011, 13:25 »
If it was me I'd spend my money on the Golf GTD.

First of all it is a newer model. The Audi a3 platform was developed some years ago and will inherently be ageing now. The mk6 platform may be based on the a3 platform (or whatever model it is based on) but it has revision which are more up to date.

Secondly I think the GTD looks better. I've always thought a3s look a bit too round and tubby but that is just my own opinion.

Thirdly I reckon the VW is better value. For me the A3 170hp diesel is just a hum drum Audi model albeit with a fairly decent engine. The GTD on the other hand is a special model. It comes with a unique body kit, alloys, spec options and also shares to a certain extent the pedigree of the GTI.

I suppose this is really just marketing but it works for me and I'd rather put my money for a newer, similar quality and more standout model than for an older, more hum drum option.

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
  • Other brands of washing powder are available.
« Reply #33 on: 07 January 2011, 10:33 »
Auto Express: VW Golf GTD vs. Audi A3 TDI...

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/grouptests/238867/vw_golf_gtd_vs_audi_a3_tdi.html

Verdict...
As our two contenders are so similar, you would expect this to be a close-run finish. But the VW and Audi have completely different characters. Although they share the same engine, have practical five-door bodies and feature high-quality cabins, they don’t go about their jobs in the same way.

Don’t be fooled by the subtle design of the A3 Sportback – behind its conservative exterior is a serious high-performance hatch. It’s fast, composed and refined, but doesn’t shout about its performance. The Audi also feels like a premium product... yet the VW is more sporty to look at, sit in and drive.

That’s why it wins. From behind the wheel, the Golf is more fun than the A3, but it’s also more frugal and refined. The smoother engine, more capable chassis and special cabin confirm the GTD as an incredibly desirable family car.

10/8/2017 - GTI Performance, Red,5dr DS

Offline flc1962

• Here all the time
« Reply #34 on: 07 January 2011, 11:19 »
Even before reading that it would be the GOLF, the A3 needs a good revamp, little like the A4 has recently

Offline JJH

• Here all the time
« Reply #35 on: 08 January 2011, 01:49 »
Before I brought the GTD, I drove an A3 170 DSG (80K); both are great. There aint nothing between them...to me , steering wheels define the car. .....the GTD steering whelel roks. An improvement I could make to my manual GTD is a 'chip' , massaging inserts, super quick heated steering; an 'interactive pillow, come; head-up display
'
Today, running low, I paid £70 to fill up. Owning a GTI, pound per mile, must be painful.. Luckily I dint pay the bill, A gti woould have cost the equivalent of £100 to fill the tank.

Feeling the need to expliot the best performance from a GTD is costing me 500 miles per tank.

If you like to cane a willing engine, the GTD satisfies......

GTD White 5dr, ACC, Sunroof, winter pack, in transit.......

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #36 on: 08 January 2011, 11:22 »
but it’s also more frugal and refined. The smoother engine, more capable chassis and special cabin confirm the GTD as an incredibly desirable family car.
That must have been a PD TDI A3 v CR GTD otherwise it makes no sense  :grin:
« Last Edit: 08 January 2011, 13:10 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline mac7

• I live here
« Reply #37 on: 08 January 2011, 12:45 »
Today, running low, I paid £70 to fill up. Owning a GTI, pound per mile, must be painful.. Luckily I dint pay the bill, A gti woould have cost the equivalent of £100 to fill the tank.

How'd you work that one out - petrol is cheaper than diesel...
Golf R

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #38 on: 08 January 2011, 13:14 »

How'd you work that one out - petrol is cheaper than diesel...
I was just thinking how without spilling it :grin: as the last time i filled up with the mk6 GTI it was reading 5 miles left in the tank it only came to £61 to the brim and that was v-power i could have used the normal much cheaper stuff if i wanted too as myself i don't feel a difference.
 £100 for the same miles maybe, but in real terms for me its only 10mpg less for the GTI for what it gets used for. Which came to less than £200 extra a year in fuel if i used it every single time i go and use a car but i don't so in real terms its much less for me.
« Last Edit: 08 January 2011, 13:21 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #39 on: 08 January 2011, 15:41 »
Brimmed mine yesterday at a cost of £74.01 probably could have squeezed some more in though.
Bloody expensive to run a car nowadays.
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14