Author Topic: Slightly disappointed with my Mk7 GTI  (Read 3566 times)

Offline symonh2000

• Here all the time
Re: Slightly disappointed with my Mk7 GTI
« Reply #10 on: 17 August 2022, 07:23 »
One problem I can see is that a resonator delete is going to be spotted by your insurance company, and I found that by getting a quote with it declared adds a fair bit to the premium.

However the Clubsport back box looks exactly the same externally as the standard GTI item, so is very unlikely to be spotted.

it costs a bit more initially but could work out cheaper in a year or two.
Golf GTI 7 PP
BMW M140i

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 17 August 2022, 08:56 »
One problem I can see is that a resonator delete is going to be spotted by your insurance company, and I found that by getting a quote with it declared adds a fair bit to the premium.

However the Clubsport back box looks exactly the same externally as the standard GTI item, so is very unlikely to be spotted.

I don’t want to sound as if I’m taking the moral high ground and apologies if it comes over that way, but for anyone considering modifying their car, please always the declare mods to the insurance company, as not doing so could invalidate the insurance if found out.

If someone’s unfortunate enough to have an accident, they make a claim and their car is inspected by their insurance company and an undeclared res delete (or any other undeclared modification for that matter) is spotted, it could end up being much more costly than not declaring it;
  • The insurance company refuses to pay the claim.
  • The person committing a non disclosure offence may have their details added to the insurance fraud register (accessible to other insurance companies) for failing to disclose all the information an insurance company needs to calculate the correct premium.
  • Committing a non disclosure offence and / or being on the fraud register could affect a person’s ability to get insurance at an affordable premium in future, and they’d also need to disclose it when applying for insurance in future.
  • Insurance fraud is a criminal offence, if convicted of it the person committing the offence ends up with a criminal record.
So IMHO, it’s not worth taking the risk.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Finglonga

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 17 August 2022, 09:57 »

Are you implying a piece of pipe "beds in"?
That's not how it works   :undecided:

Yes it is ask anyone who has had a new exhaust fitted, as they get carbon build up they get quieter. The res delete will be boomy for a few hundred miles and then will settle down. Happens with all new exhausts.

Offline symonh2000

• Here all the time
« Reply #13 on: 17 August 2022, 14:53 »

I don’t want to sound as if I’m taking the moral high ground and apologies if it comes over that way, but for anyone considering modifying their car, please always the declare mods to the insurance company, as not doing so could invalidate the insurance if found out.

If someone’s unfortunate enough to have an accident, they make a claim and their car is inspected by their insurance company and an undeclared res delete (or any other undeclared modification for that matter) is spotted, it could end up being much more costly than not declaring it;
  • The insurance company refuses to pay the claim.
  • The person committing a non disclosure offence may have their details added to the insurance fraud register (accessible to other insurance companies) for failing to disclose all the information an insurance company needs to calculate the correct premium.
  • Committing a non disclosure offence and / or being on the fraud register could affect a person’s ability to get insurance at an affordable premium in future, and they’d also need to disclose it when applying for insurance in future.
  • Insurance fraud is a criminal offence, if convicted of it the person committing the offence ends up with a criminal record.
So IMHO, it’s not worth taking the risk.

I agree, but where do you draw the line with regards to what classes as a modification? You could replace the brake pads, tyres, shock absorbers with a different brand and technically the car isn't standard.

A TCR exhaust is a standard VW part, is a direct fit and looks just like the original. Why would that be much different from fitting a pattern replacement part from a local tyre and exhaust centre?

If you fitted a stainless, cat back system or a piece that removed silencers that was obviously different to the original then I would agree it was a modification though.

Golf GTI 7 PP
BMW M140i

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 17 August 2022, 15:26 »
I agree, but where do you draw the line with regards to what classes as a modification? You could replace the brake pads, tyres, shock absorbers with a different brand and technically the car isn't standard.

A TCR exhaust is a standard VW part, is a direct fit and looks just like the original. Why would that be much different from fitting a pattern replacement part from a local tyre and exhaust centre?

If you fitted a stainless, cat back system or a piece that removed silencers that was obviously different to the original then I would agree it was a modification though.

Some insurance companies include an explanation in their policy of what they consider to a modification they would need to know about. In general terms it seems that anything that changes the spec of the car as it left the factory is a modification.

However…………I believe some insurance companies also want to know about factory fitted options (I think Direct Line is - or used to be - one such company) and that’s where it gets interesting; how would a second, third or later owner know which items of equipment were extra cost options and which were part of standard spec?

I don’t think we’ll ever understand the way insurance companies operate, but I’d say if in doubt over whether any changes a person makes to their car is a modification their insurer needs to know about, then it’s better to tell them than not tell them about it. Better safe than sorry.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 17 August 2022, 15:28 »
how would a second, third or later owner know which items of equipment were extra cost options and which were part of standard spec?

VIN decoder

Offline symonh2000

• Here all the time
« Reply #16 on: 17 August 2022, 16:22 »
My insurance only asked for modifications fitted after the car was new.

I think that seems to be the way with most now.
Golf GTI 7 PP
BMW M140i

Offline MartC

• Just got here
« Reply #17 on: 18 August 2022, 21:01 »
Just have to say I completely agree with the OP. Crap exhaust note is the only thing I can fault on my GTi PP. coming from a S3, the sound is bit of a let down.

I’ve seen both Clubsport and TCR back boxes mentioned. Assume TCR part for a 7.5 but does it really make that much difference? Listened to a fair few YouTube vids and I’m still not convinced.

Offline LSBristol

• Not said much yet
« Reply #18 on: 24 August 2022, 11:54 »
I've had a TCR backbox on my 7.5 for almost a year now. It definitely makes a noticeable difference but at the same time it looks and sounds OEM. Given the insulation on these cars it's still not loud in the cabin (roughly the same as the sport soundaktor but it only makes noise at expected moments not just constantly whenever your foot is down), but if you take out your parcel shelf or have the windows down it's much louder than stock. I also gather there's a very big difference between the two from outside the car, but I'm yet to trust anybody to drive it so I can hear...

I have a manual and in the last couple of months I've started getting some minor pops on gear changes and can also get a pretty loud DSG style "fart" if traction control kicks in in first gear and cuts the power.
mk7.5 non-PP, Indium Grey, manual

TCR backbox
Bola B16 19" in crystal sylver
DTUK pedalbox+

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #19 on: 24 August 2022, 13:37 »
I also gather there's a very big difference between the two from outside the car, but I'm yet to trust anybody to drive it so I can hear...

I find the sound of my TCR to be just right, not too noisy but nice and deep. It's useful too, when I have to pick my OH up from a night out with her mates, she can hear me arriving, saves her having to wait outside the pub!
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.