Author Topic: Intake mods  (Read 1224 times)

chopper216

Intake mods
« on: 19 July 2022, 10:52 »
Watched a lot of videos recently on doing home mods to the intake by cutting out the blocked off section on the drivers side and removing the snow guard. Has anyone from the UK done this ? All the videos I’ve seen are from the USA, concerned about the amount of rain we get here in N.Ire, also considering upgrading the turbo elbow and intake hose. Basically is it worth it ?

Offline madstaff

• I live here
Re: Intake mods
« Reply #1 on: 19 July 2022, 12:52 »
Im not so sure these mods make much of a difference TBH, ok maybe a little, but nothing thats gonna make a massive improvement.

I only swapped my intake pipe for a Ramair one because i got if off ebay for a steal and i think they look a bit better, a bit of underbonnet bling!!

I wouldnt be hacking my air box about either, im very much whatever i do to my car i can revert it back to standard without any evidence.

Youd be better off spending the equivalent ££ in super unleaded and enjoying your car as it is.
2017 Clubsport Edition 40 #706.

Urano grey, 3 Door, Manual, Recaros, Brescias, DCC, Nav Pro, Black roof & tints.

Offline DCmk3

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 19 July 2022, 14:39 »
Rain won't be a concern as the opening is still below the bonnet, you won't have that much if any water getting up and into that opening.
I had recently driven through a pretty severe storm with the other side of the front intake portion open and when I got home, there was no water inside of the filterbox. Besides that, there is a drain in the bottom of the filterbox to drain any water that may get into it.

The snow guard is.. an unnecessary restriction to be fair. You can pop that out carefully without breaking it (if you want to reinstall it for some reason)

The turbo elbow and intake hose might add a small bit of sound but nothing major and likely no change in performance on a stock car with no tune to be fair.

2014 Mk7 GTI - Littco L500

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 19 July 2022, 16:14 »
Turbo elbow and pipe just enables the car to pick up on acceleration ever so slightly quicker.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline golfdave

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 19 July 2022, 17:08 »
I did the how to guide for the slam panel mod..basically this was factory fitted to the MK7 GTE (hybrid).

This closes off the left rear section of the slam panel intake box...& also opens up the front right section....as per the GTE & the following PR codes:-
TH8 = 4-cylinder gasoline engine 1.4L unit 04E.C
0Y1 = Standard climatic zones.
0Y2 = Tropical zones.
0Y4 = Cold & tropical climatic zones (US).
0Y5 = Cold & tropical climatic zones (China).
0Y7 = Tropical zones & high-water country.

Basically doing both above stops the engine sucking in hot air from the engine bay & allowing more to sucked in to the main intake....

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/how-to-retro-fit-the-gte-air-intake-to-a-mk7-golf.353884/#post-7167924

Offline madstaff

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 19 July 2022, 17:11 »

Basically doing both above stops the engine sucking in hot air from the engine bay & allowing more to sucked in to the main intake....

Ive read somewhere that fitting the blanking plate then prevents cool air from entering the engine bay??
2017 Clubsport Edition 40 #706.

Urano grey, 3 Door, Manual, Recaros, Brescias, DCC, Nav Pro, Black roof & tints.

Offline golfdave

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 19 July 2022, 19:27 »

Ive read somewhere that fitting the blanking plate then prevents cool air from entering the engine bay??

Yes, but its approved for the GTE which is basically my 1.4lt with the extra electric/hybrid drive etc crammed into the engine also..so it gets very hot....much hotter than my engine does & possibly the 2lts..

I retro fitted the OEM skid tray, but for the DSG, so it has one cooling duct in it..this allows air flow into the engine bay.....

Offline Paul70

• Here all the time
« Reply #7 on: 05 August 2022, 11:13 »
Yesterday I fitted a Revo intake pack sourced from Progressive Parts, which contains the Revo intake hose that fits directly onto the turbo, the blanking plate from the GTE and the Revo panel filter. This pack is a bargain as the intake hose if bought separately costs around £30 more.

The change is not night and day, but the pick up / spool / response has improved and it is a prerequisite for stage 1 which is next on the list.
2016 MK7 Clubsport ED40 3 Door Manual Reflex Silver with Recaros
2013 MK7 GTI Black 5 Door (Non PP)
Long gone -1984 Helios Blue Campaign MK1 GTI

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 05 August 2022, 12:23 »
Yesterday I fitted a Revo intake pack sourced from Progressive Parts, which contains the Revo intake hose that fits directly onto the turbo, the blanking plate from the GTE and the Revo panel filter. This pack is a bargain as the intake hose if bought separately costs around £30 more.

The change is not night and day, but the pick up / spool / response has improved and it is a prerequisite for stage 1 which is next on the list.

I assume that's a typo and you meant Stage 2. There aren't any hardware requirements for Stage 1.

Offline Paul70

• Here all the time
« Reply #9 on: 05 August 2022, 14:43 »

I assume that's a typo and you meant Stage 2. There aren't any hardware requirements for Stage 1.

Apologies all and thanks for highlighting SJW, it’s not mandatory, just recommended by some tuners.
2016 MK7 Clubsport ED40 3 Door Manual Reflex Silver with Recaros
2013 MK7 GTI Black 5 Door (Non PP)
Long gone -1984 Helios Blue Campaign MK1 GTI