Author Topic: New tyres suggestions?  (Read 120138 times)

Offline clubsport

• I live here
Re: New tyres suggestions?
« Reply #470 on: 27 July 2022, 11:05 »
I'd also wait for owner reviews of "top dog" Conti's..... from previous experience their performance tyres do not last as well as Michelin.

Fun fact (?), in the cycling world, Continental are genuinely leading the way in road bike tyres, Michelin have fallen behind in the last few years..... will we see that advancement in road car tyres?

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #471 on: 27 July 2022, 14:02 »
Makes a lot of sense clubsport, I’m sure Conti will be trying
Wouldn’t bother with the 235’s personally. Engineers paid more than me decided that 225 was the correct tyre size for a 7.5j wide alloy on a GTI.

A very over simplified view but I’ll take your point.
We’d never deviate from manufacturer spec on anything whatsoever if we followed that rigidly.
Yes, the 225 will fit more squarely but we are talking 5mm each side of the centreline spread across 7.5” of rim width.
I’m pretty certain the engineers choice would be as much to do with emissions ratings as anything else.

But for the sake of simplicity and peace of mind then yes, 225’s would be best.
Looks like you’re not in a rush so plenty of time to get more feedback on some of the new kids on the block rubberware.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline symonh2000

• Here all the time
« Reply #472 on: 27 July 2022, 17:34 »
In theory a 235 width tyre is a modification, and if done by the book and declared to your insurance it could well cost more than you would save by buying them in the first place.

I know it is a trivial mod, but as soon as you add anything like that to your quotes on comparison sites you get less results and higher prices.
Golf GTI 7 PP
BMW M140i

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #473 on: 29 July 2022, 09:55 »
I’m not even considering the 235’s to be honest, a team of engineers that know more about dynamics than I chose a 225 for the 7.5j Brescias so I’m not going to argue over £20 a tyre.

I’m going to go with PS4s’ again, I only run them in summer and have dedicated winters so don’t get the gains from the Continentals that make them better than the Michelins.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline Kpow99

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #474 on: 30 July 2022, 10:36 »
I have Conti SportContact 7 on front and PS4S rear. Have a spare pair of SC7 sitting in the house as just arrived from Germany as can’t buy them in UK anywhere.

So far so good in the dry, feel like a bit more grip, haven’t had any rain to try in the wet and road noise seems a bit better. Obviously won’t know properly until rears have worn enough to change and have full set on but happy so far and the price I got them for I’m very happy with 😁
2019 TCR, Pure Grey, DCC/PP Revo Stage 1

Offline Sturdy Lad

• Not said much yet
« Reply #475 on: 15 September 2022, 19:54 »
Hi all, time appears to have come to replace the tyres on my 7.5 PP.
What's the thinking on Michelin PS4.
I don't drive the car hard but want a year round tyre
PS4 are just over £100 on BlackCircles and the PS4S is quite a bit more.
In real terms is it worth spending more. Is there an alternative that anyone has experience of?
I read somewhere on here that the PS4 is better than the stock tyre, I think mine has Bridgestone.

Thanks

Offline symonh2000

• Here all the time
« Reply #476 on: 15 September 2022, 21:47 »
I will need to replace the fronts on mine soon.

Currently it has Pirelli Pzero which are pretty poor in the wet I find.

I will most likely go for Goodyear Assymetric 6 unless I can get a good deal on one of the competitors like the SC7, PS-5 or Potenza Sport.

Golf GTI 7 PP
BMW M140i

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #477 on: 15 September 2022, 22:25 »
Try Blackcircles, I got a good deal from them.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #478 on: 15 September 2022, 22:52 »
It’s also worth checking out Asda Tyres - mentioned on the Seat Cupra forum a while back.

They’re quite often a few £’s cheaper than Blackcircles and they do have regular or ongoing promotions; usually in the form of money off vouchers for use in Asda stores.

I think Asda Tyres use many of the same tyre fitting places that Blackcircles use.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Sturdy Lad

• Not said much yet
« Reply #479 on: 15 September 2022, 22:53 »
Good call on the Goodyear's. Had assy 3's on my Audi A6 and was happy with them. Only £1 each cheaper than PS4 though