Author Topic: richie2480 - Mk2 GTi 16v  (Read 14870 times)

Offline X4MGS

• I live here
  • VAG Parts SNOB!!!
Re: Mk2 GTi 16v Engine overhaul
« Reply #20 on: 13 February 2012, 00:19 »
I know this car.... Was it Dubster2/ Aqualever's old car???

High Quality Chrome & Black Enamel Golf GTI Keyring's.
For More Info Click To See;
My Thread On Here  Or My Ebay Store!

Offline richie2480

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #21 on: 13 February 2012, 00:39 »
Yeh, That's the one.

Offline X4MGS

• I live here
  • VAG Parts SNOB!!!
« Reply #22 on: 13 February 2012, 01:25 »
Yeh, That's the one.

Love what your doing to it....

Keep it up & keep the updates coming!!

:wink:

High Quality Chrome & Black Enamel Golf GTI Keyring's.
For More Info Click To See;
My Thread On Here  Or My Ebay Store!

Offline walchy01

• I live here
« Reply #23 on: 13 February 2012, 19:39 »
Beautiful car mate, that is so tidy in the bay, love to see bays like that, keep at it, top job :wink:

Offline richie2480

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #24 on: 13 February 2012, 22:14 »
Thanks, But I can't lay any claim to how car looks that is all down to Tim (Dubster2/Aquavalver). I've just maintained the looks. All I have done so far is add my RS''s, fitted new audio and now obviously the engine work. I will look after her, maybe not so obsessively as Tim, but I will try.

Offline Sam

• I live here
  • Sam I am
« Reply #25 on: 13 February 2012, 22:15 »
Thanks, But I can't lay any claim to how car looks that is all down to Tim (Dubster2/Aquavalver). I've just maintained the looks. All I have done so far is add my RS''s, fitted new audio and now obviously the engine work. I will look after her, maybe not so obsessively as Tim, but I will try.

Dont try, just do! Then go to your first show and shine, win a prize and get addicted  :smiley:

The entire world is a Money Pit, you just have to pick yours.

Offline clipperjay

• I live here
« Reply #26 on: 13 February 2012, 22:20 »
Its yours now make your mark, Tim was OCD and credit due to him every part on that car was GEN VAG even if he had to import in  :laugh:

Offline richie2480

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #27 on: 14 February 2012, 14:39 »
Its yours now make your mark, Tim was OCD and credit due to him every part on that car was GEN VAG even if he had to import in  :laugh:

Well  the plan was to go and visit tomorrow to go and see start of engine rebuild. However, British Gas being as good as they aren't have put a stop to that. My boiler's gone tits up and they can't get an engineer out till tomorrow even though I called first thing this morning but they are "too busy" :angry: I could leave it till day after but it would mean earache of the missus so got to sort priorities.

CAN'T POST A REPLY SO ADDING TO THIS ONE

Well I went to visit my car today. The engine rebuild has started and I've got a a few pics to post:

CLEAN AND PAINTED BLOCK

RE-BORED CYLINDERS[/SIZE][/U][/B]

NEW PISTONS AND FITTING

PISTONS CONNECTED UP

ANCILLARIES ALL CLEAN AND PAINTED. NOTE LIGHTENED FLYWHEEL

ANCILLARIES BEING FITTED. NOTE CYLINDER HEAD ON SHELF BEHIND, NEXT FOR CONSTRUCTION.

Well what can is say. Impressed? Very much. Rob is very meticulous with his work. Everything is cleaned, checked and cleaned again prior to fitting. Any excess sealant that may leak out is wiped off. The plan was to go up again to watch head being built but Rob is under pressure from other work so he is working late tonight to get head started so looks like I'm going to miss out on that. I'm not worried because I know it's going to be done properly. Rob also identified a couple problems with the gearbox. One of the diff output shaft bearings was shot and a couple of the gears had some chips in the gear teeth. So that is going to get sorted as well. Priority of work has changed now. Engine, gearbox and any other bits that will fit in the budget.

While I was there a guy came in with is mk1 Campaign that had had a 2.0 16v G60 conversion. It had come for a rolling road test and set up. He's only had the car 10 days and was told on purchase that she still needed setting up. Well she went on the rolling road but there was no boost from the charger. Hoses etc were checked for leaks, no leaks. So the filter inlet hose was removed to have a look inside. Rob stuck his finger and pulled it out with a clump of shiny metallic grease. The metallic grease should have been white. Looks like something had failed in a big way in the charger. Charger was being removed as I left.

Overall I am very happy. Must admit when I saw the engine I felt like a kid getting a new toy. Well a big kid getting a grown up's toy [:y:][:P]

Just had a call with provisional rolling road results.                                                  

180bhp :grin: :evil:.

Wasn't expecting that. I thought maybe 160ish but 180 is nice. Not that I'm going to use all that power, but it's nice to know it's there if I need it. There is still a bit of fettling to be done to engine and I hope be go down Wed to see final rolling road and collect car.

OK, Picked car up today. Very happy indeed. Rob took me around the car to show me everything connected up. Went out for a test drive with him. She's fine. Had a chat with Rob about running in and what oil to use etc. Rob said she's ready to be ragged, but I'm not going to, and any quality 10w40 semi synth oil. He did say to run the car for a couple of thousand miles, take her back and he will re-run her on rolling road and re-tune her. I've got printouts of rolling roads:

181bhp/159.5ft/lbs torque at the flywheel

171.1bhp/153ft/lbs torque at the wheels

Overall I am very happy. Now got a lovely Golf with a new engine and flowed head, newly replaced fuelling system (everything new less the pump in the fuel tank) and a  re-built gearbox. I'm going to keep her a week before I tell all on the workshop. Now that engine is done, she needs a good clean. I now need to decide on gold bolts or not for my RS's.  Spring is coming!!!

Ok decided to stick with the silver bolts. The car was done at CFM Engineering:
http://www.cfmengineering.co.uk/
http://www.facebook.com/CFMEngineering  (look at my car in pics)

Still very happy with car. There was a slight leak coming from distributor so took car back and Rob replaced the distributor seal. The car was given a brief check over and all is fine. I'm taking it back when I hit 1000 and have engine oil changed. I may see about having a rolling road done again, just to confirm.

« Last Edit: 01 April 2012, 20:42 by richie2480 »