Author Topic: Finally the Pretorias are on  (Read 11557 times)

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
Re: Finally the Pretorias are on
« Reply #30 on: 01 November 2017, 13:47 »
Large alloys being prone to buckling is nothing new...

I remember the M-Sport wheels in the BMW 3 series from about 10 years ago (the E92?) were really prone to actually splitting in two!
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #31 on: 01 November 2017, 15:22 »
So they are prone to buckling?
I thought that was just Santiagos :wink:

:cry: Two of mine are a bit wonky but they have taken quite a battering with all the potholes round here. The fact that they haven't needed re-balancing and that I couldn't see the damage when the tyre fitter pointed it out must mean it's minimal though. I'd say the wheelbearings are the weaker link having had one let go already :rolleyes:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline TurboTrev

• I live here
« Reply #32 on: 01 November 2017, 18:44 »
Be careful folks if you you've hit a pothole hard.  When mine buckled I hadn't realised there was any damage - on inspection, non was visible on the front of the wheel and there was only a very slight vibration at higher speeds.  After about 3 months I was passing a tyre place so I thought I'd just drop in and get it re-balanced.  They put the wheel on the machine, then the tech shot through to get me.  The wheel had a back buckle on the inside of the rim and he couldn't believe that I had hardly been able to feel it.  I send it straight down to Jepsons and it couldn't be repaired as the centre of the wheel had been knocked out of centre.  Again, they couldn't believe I'd been able to drive around with hardly any apparent problem.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #33 on: 01 November 2017, 18:51 »
Be careful folks if you you've hit a pothole hard.  When mine buckled I hadn't realised there was any damage - on inspection, non was visible on the front of the wheel and there was only a very slight vibration at higher speeds.  After about 3 months I was passing a tyre place so I thought I'd just drop in and get it re-balanced.  They put the wheel on the machine, then the tech shot through to get me.  The wheel had a back buckle on the inside of the rim and he couldn't believe that I had hardly been able to feel it.  I send it straight down to Jepsons and it couldn't be repaired as the centre of the wheel had been knocked out of centre.  Again, they couldn't believe I'd been able to drive around with hardly any apparent problem.

I had the same with one of my 19” Glendale’s on my mk6 GTI.  Took it in for alignment check as felt a slight pulling, and one of the wheels was badly buckled on the inner rim, beyond repair, so it was a new wheel and a new tyre, as the inside of the tyre was totally shredded and they said it was something of a miracle the tyre hadn’t blown. But apart from the slight pull, no other discernable sign anything was amiss!   
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Raffe

• I live here
« Reply #34 on: 05 November 2017, 19:14 »

Looks fab on the Prets Andy, great upgrade.
2016 Golf R | 3dr | DSG | Reflex Silver | 19" Pretoria Alloys | 90% Tints | Nav | Winter Pack | App Connect

Offline BobbyT

• I live here
  • Housemusic aint for everybody,only the sexy people
« Reply #35 on: 05 November 2017, 19:46 »
looks great  :cool:
BW3 2018... 7.5 Oryx White R Estate, Black mirrors and rails, Dynaudio, Rear Cam, Climate Screen, 90% tints

Offline Jeni_R_

• Here all the time
« Reply #36 on: 06 November 2017, 13:20 »
They really look great although I would say the Belvederes looked great too! So are you going to lease out the Belvederes :wink:

How about a before and after picture post, be interesting to see the difference in looks on the same car....

Before

They are a great looking wheel.

Now I'm off to Down and to the left quite a bit to do some skip scavenging.
:grin:

I am loving the black lines and fog surrounds !

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #37 on: 06 November 2017, 19:42 »
They really suit it Andy.
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #38 on: 06 November 2017, 20:06 »
They really look great although I would say the Belvederes looked great too! So are you going to lease out the Belvederes :wink:

How about a before and after picture post, be interesting to see the difference in looks on the same car....

Before

They are a great looking wheel.

Now I'm off to Down and to the left quite a bit to do some skip scavenging.
:grin:

I am loving the black lines and fog surrounds !

There's no fogs on a clubsport Jeni.
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #39 on: 06 November 2017, 20:19 »
The prets are a massive improvement, looks great.
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.